My first 100 Bus hours- reflections on the A-320

Old November 30th 05, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My first 100 Bus hours- reflections on the A-320

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
Any taxi speed limit? On the 747 also had to use GS readout. Limit was
10kt at heavy weights, iirc. Limit factor was tire overheat.

Our manuals specify that the -321 must be under 20 knots while turning if it
above a certain weight. This comes from an Airbus manual. Unlike the orange
737s, we don't have an incentive to taxi fast.

D.

Old November 30th 05, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
Nice read, Cap'n Doesn't the concurrent use of spoilers and flaps do
anything freaky to the sink rate?

No, at the lower speeds were flaps are allowed, the spoilers don't increase
the sink rate by much. I use speedbrake with flaps primarily to slow down
after crossing the outer marker at big airports where approach controllers
want 170 or 180 knots to the marker.

To get a high sink rate, select a speed just near redline (which would be in
the clean configuration) deploy the speedbrakes, and click off the autopilot
(which gives full spoiler deployment in the -321). I've had sink rates near
7000 fpm, though the attitude may be uncomfortable for the passengers.

And didn't you feel the public
address mic should be closer at hand than having to contort your back
each time to pick it up, not to mention moving back the seat if you're
short.

We can use the handset, but the PA is wired into our headsets also. I prefer
to use the headset's boom mic.

D.

Old November 30th 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Unlike the orange
737s, we don't have an incentive to taxi fast.

What is the incentive to taxi fast in an orange 737?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old November 30th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
Unlike the orange
737s, we don't have an incentive to taxi fast.

What is the incentive to taxi fast in an orange 737?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

I'm thinking he means EasyJet (UK carrier), their low budget and want to get
off the ground fast!

I flew on them when I went from UK to Italy, they seemed alright, I made it
back!

DW

Old November 30th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ramapriya" wrote
As far as I know (which isn't much), limitations on taxi speeds are
specified generally by airlines rather than aircraft manufacturers.
I'm aware of at least 3 Middle East airlines that specify this as part
of their SOPs.

Ramapriya, a typical airline pilot is subject to several sources of
rules and regs, FAA Part 121 and Parts 61/91, the FAA approved AFM from
the manufacturer, the AIM, and finally, the whims of the Chief Pilot.
Normally, pertinate portions of all of these directives are combined
into a single document called the SOP or AOM (Aircraft Operations Manual).

After a while, the average pilot who has only flown under that airline's
system, looses sight of just where any single directive in the SOP/AOM
came from and it really doesn't matter, since his SOP/AOM has the same
effect as the FARs for his operations.

This is of course how it works in the USofA system.

Bob Moore

Old November 30th 05, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cool... Only in my dreams...

Old December 1st 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Darkwing" wrote in message
I'm thinking he means EasyJet (UK carrier), their low budget and want to

get
off the ground fast!

Some airline managements stress their need for quick turn-arounds because
the airplane doesn't make money sitting on the ground. They encourage fast
taxiing through pay schemes for their pilots. I don't taxi fast because my
employer's pay scheme doesn't encourage it.

D.

Old December 1st 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flyingmonk" wrote in message Cool... Only in my dreams...

Dreams can come true.

D.

Old December 1st 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Three mortgages, wife and two kids, a dog and a rabbit. Can't afford
to let them starve. :)

Old December 1st 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flyingmonk wrote:
Three mortgages, wife and two kids, a dog and a rabbit. Can't afford
to let them starve. :)

been there
I got married and that was the end of my flying.
boyfriend pilots are okay husband with expensive hobby fails the test
:-(
keep the good stories coming