How to suspend a glider?

Old October 7th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Default How to suspend a glider?

Bill Daniels bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
Don,

It occurs to me that the biggest collection of hanging aircraft anywhere is
in the Simthsonian Air & Space Museum. I wonder if you could get a curator
to give you some tips. It might be worth a phone call.

Attaching to the inside structure would be my first choice for asthetic
reasons. I'm not sure how strong the anchor points are but the rear seat
belts might be useful. There's four structural anchor points to work with.

If it's helpful at all, I took a picture of Robert Harris's Grob 102 while
visiting the Smithsonian this summer, he

http://pix.mikeash.com/v/gliderflyin..._2222.JPG.html

If you click on the picture to get the full-sized ones, the attachments
are shown pretty clearly. Looks like a loop around the tail, and then some
kind of cabling going into the space between the body and the wing,
perhaps going around the spar.

(Incidentally this exhibit made a big impression on me, seeing just how
mundane and normal world-record-setting equipment can be. Very cool.)

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old October 8th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Oct 7, 4:06*am, Pete Smith wrote:
I have seen a Nimbus 3/4 strung up at a Swiss club.

Best not follow this example.
I bet when they started they had a whole Nimbus.
See ya, Dave
Old October 8th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barny

Marshall Soaring Club in Marshall Michigan suspends a 103 from the
hanger ceiling over the tow plane and brings it down every weekend.
They use two straps and an electric winch, plus a guide rope to one
wingtip I believe. Plus they have a cool Website URL: www.soaringclub.org.
Old October 8th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 7, 3:58*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Oct 7, 12:48*pm, wrote:

Thanks for the ideas and contact information!

Tim, the URL you sent me off-line for the Tree Straps appears to solve
that part -https://www.expeditionexchange.com/straps/
Thanks!

It just occurred to me that if the canopies are off, it becomes
possible to connect inside the fuselage - perhaps a strap under the
front drag-spar carry-through, just behind the back seat. That would
be more elegant in appearance (the overall goal) than big straps under
the belly and would put the load where it was designed to go. It could
even run under the spars I guess, with a little forward triangulation
to allow for a vertical exit.
Frank, you're *right that a strap a foot or so ahead of the main wheel
would make the tail weight more than 50 lbs.. It wieghs 45lbs just
sitting on the main.
Hmmm....

Don

Hi Don,

By now, you must be wondering just what you got yourself into :-)

After I posted the first mail, it occured to me that the Arnot Mall in
Elmira/Horseheads had a 1-26 hanging from the ceiling for many years.
Haven't been there lately, but I'm sure some Harris Hill folks will
chime in. * Since lawyers love precendent, I wonder if it wouldn't be
a good idea to reach out to the Arnot Mall management and see if
they'd be willing to speak to the folks at your mall. * At minumum,
they may be able to supply a couple of pictures. *Yeah, it's a tube
and steel glider and likely suspnded by the frame behind the pilot
seat, but the John Q. Lawyer probably doesn't know that.

P3- Hide quoted text -

The idea of precedent clears many paths! In layman's terms, it's
pronounced 'plausible deniability". :-) Thanks for the idea of such
an approach. Whichever example of connecting the cables prevails, and
there are some good ones here, the idea of precedent might just be the
catalyst. Thanks!
Don
Old October 8th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 19:15 07 October 2008, Bill Daniels wrote:

It occurs to me that the biggest collection of hanging aircraft anywhere
is
in the Simthsonian Air & Space Museum.

For that matter, the Soaring Museum in Elmira sort of
specializes in just the type of aircraft you're dealing with.

Jim Beckman

Old October 8th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 7, 4:58*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Oct 7, 12:48*pm, wrote:

[...]

The 1-26 (001) that hangs in the Arnot Mall near Elmira, NY belongs to
the National Soaring Museum, as does the Arnot/Herring Primary Glider
replica next to it. In the NSM itself, we currently have 17 gliders
hanging, including 3 that were installed within recent months. You've
already received plenty of good advice, but give us a call if you wish
(607-734-3128).

Peter Smith
Old October 15th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

First, great idea.

My next thought is that you are going to need to check with various
"authorities" before moving too far forward. There may be some
stringent requirements when hanging a ~700lb (310kg) item over
people's head.

Start with the mall. They may point you to the professionals that
they use (and alluded to earlier). I will bet you will have to get a
sign off from a city/county/state official.

Keep us informed as to what you find out. I, for one, am very
interested.

- John