Air Force VFamily Portrait 1958

Old October 14th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Paul Laughlin

Default Air Force VFamily Portrait 1958

In 1958, the B-58 was not yet a part of the Air Force family. I was the
39th man to
sign in to the B-58 Test Force at Carswell AFB in the spring of '58. We did
not get our first aircraft until months later. The first production model
of the B-58 was delivered, across the runway, on December 1, 1959. The
F-104A, which was the first production model, was delivered in 1958 . I do
know that they were used, at times, as chase planes for the B-58 test
flights. I believe that the F104 was used when speed was of the essence.
Most of the time they used F-102s for chase planes. I was a lowly enlisted
man, who worked on the maintenance of the B-58 Bombing/Navigation system. I
am pretty sure that the one at Paris in '58 was a test model. I am not
positive just when the image that I posted was shot. I hope this has helped
a little bit.
Paul in Portland OR

Old October 14th 07, 07:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Willem Van der Voort

"Paul Laughlin" schreef in bericht
[...]

Thanks for the information.

I was in Paris when the B-58 arrived direct from the USA in a non stop
flight.

I believe he did it in 3 hours.

Willem

Old October 14th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Panic

Paul, you might take a look at my B-58 web site for pictures and text about
the Hustler.

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
USAF Pilot Class 55-I Web Site
http://pilotclass55india.org/

Old October 14th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Willem Van der Voort

"Willem Van der Voort" schreef in
bericht ...

Where is the B-58 & F-104 Starfighter, I saw them in the Paris air show in
1958

I was in Paris when the B-58 arrived direct from the USA in a non stop
flight.

My mistake, I wend to the Paris air showin in 1961, in 1958 I wend to
the Brussels World fair. Bad memory :-)

On Friday 26 May 1961, a B-58 flew from New York City to Paris,
France in 3 hours and 14 minutes

Willem

Old October 14th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Paul Laughlin

Are you sure that was in 1958? In 1961 a B-58 and it's crew were taken to
The Paris Air Show to receive the Bleriot Trophy. A different crew
delivered the aircraft to Paris and set a speed record from New York to
Paris of three hours and 19 minutes. I believe that record still stands.
Then the crew, that actually made the flight that won the Bleriot Trophy
took off on the return flight. They did a fly-by and attempted a victory
roll. Lost control and crashed about 5 km from Le Bourget.
Paul in Portland OR

Old October 15th 07, 07:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Patrick R7

1961

http://www.foxalpha.com/forums/viewt...369 f74bab736

--
Patrick R7
Site : http://www.verslesetoiles.fr/index.html
Old October 15th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Norm DePlume

Merci.
Old October 17th 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

In the linked pictures of Le Bourget, 1959, what is that twin-tailed
monstrosity with the straight wings, 4 recip engines and huge wingtips?
NEVER seen it before, and I was alive in the late 50s, though I was never in
Europe in the 50s or early 60s.

Thanks in advance.

Brian