Capt. Al Haynes sorta OT.

Old January 9th 04, 07:48 AM
Morgans

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
. net...
I would be happy to. I am qualified to teach math. I don't see what all
the fuss is about.

So you have not taught , even for a year yet?

Granted the pay is less than other jobs, but the benefits far outweigh the
difference in pay.

Hardly. Live on the pay of two teachers, send 2 or more kids to college,
and drive less than 10 year old vehicles, and then come back and tell me haw
the benifits out weigh the lack of pay. Don't forget that every year, your
dollar earned will not keep up with inflation.

I am not wrong about the supply of teachers. I know many - some friends,
other family. I also know administrators whom have told me about the

local
supply/demand.

Not in MY state, or most of the country.

I agree there is a shortage of math/science

Then there is a shortage.

but the ridiculous gov't system
won't budge on silly school credentials to teach, so I have to go through
the BS of a Masters and get "education" education before I can teach.

In NC, you can start teaching tomorrow, and take the required corses as you
go.

And also, are you so smug, as to think you have nothing to learn about the
buisness of education? School law, liability, discipline, motivational
techniques, lesson planning, pacing guides, government program
implementations, advanced learners, slow learners, and the list goes on.
You really need to know about all of that, and more. You can no more jump
into teaching and be successful, than you could jump into a plane, take off,
do a cross country, end up where you want to be, and land successfully.

Come to NC. We really do need lateral entry math teachers. You might
learn something in the process, and theer is a small chance the students
could, too.
--
Jim in NC

I have done research about this and would not be changing careers if I
hadn't. It is a sweet deal that teachers have - trust me.

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Richard Hertz" wrote

The bottom line is - there are plenty of qualified people lined up to

take
the teaching jobs at the current salary levels.

You are so far out in left field, I only will make a couple comments.

You
are completely wrong about the supply of teachers. Perhaps there are
surplus numbers in elementary and humanities, but it is almost

impossible
find science and math teachers who are well qualified, and gets harder

every
year.

Teacher's salaries have grown at under the cost of living, under

inflation,
and has meant less disposable income, even when taking into account pay
raises for each years service. Not too many professions can claim that
proud distinction.

Come take my teaching job. See how you like it. You won't last a year.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 9th 04, 08:07 AM
Morgans

"Richard Hertz" wrote

Thank you - someone with real numbers. I have done similar investigating
here and the differential for salaries here on Long Island NY is also not

as
bad as teachers complain. While taxpayers are facing layoffs and no

raises,
the school districts around here are still doing the usual raises.

New York isn't NC, or many of the other states.

What is the rank of NY, in relation to the whole country, Richard?

I'm not going to bother to look it up, since it will not change your mind.
I've made my invitation, to you, and any others. Come to NC and teach math
or science. You said you were changing careers. Put your money where your
mouth is. Until then shut up. Back up those claims. Good luck with you
being one of the 60k earners! It shouldn't be any risk, if you are so sure
of your claims.

Figures lie, and liars figure. Come live the life.

Oh, by the way, how many of those 50 - 60k teachers had doctorates? What
would a doctorate of psychology make in the same area? It is about the same
level of education.

I'm done defending teachers. We don't deserve the bashing, and surely don't
need it..
--
Jim in NC

Old January 9th 04, 03:23 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Newps wrote:

Turns out the average
teacher salary is $41.5 here with 25-30% of the teachers making more
than $50K per year.

Fifteen years ago, the figures for the Franklin Township high school were

made
public. The janitor was making more than a CS major with a master's degree

would
get as starting pay ($41,000). The school had two principals, both making

over
$110,000. Teachers salaries were in the $70,000 range and up.

They don't publicize the figures any more.

They also stopped publishing stats around the country when someone pointed
out that half or more of school spending was just "administrators"....like
third assistant vice-principals.

Old January 9th 04, 04:51 PM
Russell Kent

Margy Natalie wrote:

REALLY?!?!? Send them to Northern VA where we had lots of unfilled positions
last year with subs filling in. For quite a while 1/3 of our special ed teachers
were on emergengy certificates. We can't find enough teachers to fill the rooms.

Well maybe that's your problem then: you're supposed to fill the rooms with
STUDENTS plus ONE teacher. :-)

On a different subject, I was considering having Harbor Freight drop ship a bunch
of the cheap stuff (like the $3 voltmeters) to some worthy school science
departments. Know of any such departments? Know what's on their wish lists?

Russell Kent

Old January 9th 04, 05:57 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Newps wrote:

Turns out the average
teacher salary is $41.5 here with 25-30% of the teachers making more
than $50K per year.

Fifteen years ago, the figures for the Franklin Township high school were made
public. The janitor was making more than a CS major with a master's degree would
get as starting pay ($41,000). The school had two principals, both making over
$110,000. Teachers salaries were in the $70,000 range and up.

They don't publicize the figures any more.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 9th 04, 09:45 PM
Jay Honeck

Government pensions are good because government work pays less. The
good pensions are the compensation for working for less.

Dunno what government jobs YOU are looking at -- but around here, the
Gubmint jobs pay substantially MORE than their private sector equivalents.

Just one example: A secretary at the University of Iowa can easily clear
$40K per year -- AND have the best health care and retirement I've ever
seen, anywhere.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 9th 04, 09:49 PM
Jay Honeck

REALLY?!?!? Send them to Northern VA where we had lots of unfilled
positions
last year with subs filling in. For quite a while 1/3 of our special ed
teachers were on emergengy certificates. We can't find enough teachers to

fill
the rooms.

The fact that it's difficult to find Special Ed teachers doesn't surprise me
at all -- many people wouldn't do what you do for all the tea in China. In
fact, I think special education is such a different animal as to not really
be comparable to other teaching jobs.

What you do, Margy, is beyond special, and qualifies you for sainthood.

(Even more than being married to Ron, as hard as that is to believe...)

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 9th 04, 09:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Sad but often true. That's just one of the "headaches" I was talking
about. I know
a few very talented teachers who have vowed NEVER to teach GT (gifted and

talented)
again unless all of the students were orphans. They loved the kids, but

the parents
drove them away.

Another facet is discipline. Without it, the teachers are doomed.

Our example: Iowa has it -- Wisconsin did not.

It took half a dozen trips to the principal's office before my then-2nd
grade son truly understood that when they said "Stay off the grass!" they
REALLY meant "Stay off the grass!"

In Wisconsin, the rules were simply not enforced. As a result, they had to
install metal detectors in the middle schools, and cops in the high
schools -- and we had to get our kids out of there.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Margy Natalie" wrote in message

Rob Perkins wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:12:01 -0500, Margy Natalie
wrote:

I don't think that is true, but the statistic I know is true states

that most
teachers leave teaching in the first 5 years. The reason? The pay

isn't worth
the headaches, time, etc.

There's more than just salary levels behind the paucity of good
teachers.

I'm personally acquainted with one teacher who quit after one year.
The reason? The school board stood behind a pair of wealthy parents
who wanted their daughter to get away with cheating on his final test.
When he refused his "contract was not renewed."

Margy

Old January 9th 04, 09:56 PM
Jay Honeck

A friend of mine from high school retired from the Navy at 38! He pulls a
decent pension and last I heard had a great civilian job at the Pentagon.

Don't
most folks get a pension after 32 years at the same job?

Uh, no.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA