A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Saint Auban aero chart

Old June 16th 13, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa
external usenet poster

Default Saint Auban aero chart

Looking for a paper 1:500,000 VFR aero chart in order to orient myself to that area of France. A used chart will be OK until I get there in August. If you know of a source of these charts in the USA, please let me know.
Old June 16th 13, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:08:08 AM UTC+2, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Looking for a paper 1:500,000 VFR aero chart in order to orient myself to that area of France. A used chart will be OK until I get there in August. If you know of a source of these charts in the USA, please let me know.

Hi Burt

go to www.cnvv.net there is a internet shop where you can buy maps and outlanding booklets.

Mottley
Old June 16th 13, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:08:08 AM UTC+2, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:

Hi Burt,

Greetings from the south of France!

For a 1:250,000 chart designed for glider pilots, go he
http://www.espacealtitude.com/carte-...000-p-735.html

For a book on going "aux vaches" (to the cows, or land-out fields), go he
http://www.espacealtitude.com/guide-...13-p-1092.html

Have fun, and be safe!
Chris Fleming (your wayward pilot previously from El Paso)
Old June 16th 13, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa
external usenet poster

I just received some personal advice from Thomas Knauff, reprinted he

On Jun 16, 2013, at 3:48 AM, Tom Knauff wrote:

Be sure to fly with one of the experienced instructors. No reasonable person is able to do what they do without many hours of experience in the region.. Totally remarkable.

Hello Tom,

Excellent advice, as always. A few weeks ago I recalled the article you wrote about flying at the Masters competition there many years ago. I found it to read again on the SSA webpage / Soaring magazine archives (JAN 2000.) Your article was my original inspiration to go to Saint Auban.

I plan to only fly with an instructor art Saint Auban. My German instructor-friend has made the arrangements as he was invited to the instructor camp there August 14 - 23.

When I travel to new soaring venues, I request flights with experienced instructors as the education to risk benefit is obviously much greater. Even as a CFIG, having flown 52 types of sailplanes at over 80 sites around the world since 1967, I have nothing to prove by immediately going solo in a new environment, especially one with rocky terrain, possible navigation or airspace issues and interesting micro-meteorology. (I wish more visiting pilots to Marfa would request some dual with me in my DG-1000T!)

By the way, I just now realized that I have flown dual with six US World Team Pilots: Tom Knauff, Karl Striedeck, Sherman Griffith, George Moffat, John Byrd and my father, Fritz Compton. Even my flights with so many instructors whose names I cannot recall, every dual flight was a wonderful and valuable experience.

Thanks,

Burt
Marfa, TX
Old June 16th 13, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley
external usenet poster

If you have an iPad, PC, big or Android tablet, you could try a free one month subscription to SkyDemon. It has various visual aviation charts of Europe including beautiful detailed visual airport charts showing surrounding terrain out a few KM, traffic patters for gliders, power etc. I ordered a paper chart of Provence and found SkyDemon to show more detail and much more information for St. Auban area.. I think SkyDemon is using official aviation data/charts for the area. No affiliation, just google SkyDemon. It's the WingX/Foreflight that includes Europe. ... Aaron
Old June 16th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Le dimanche 16 juin 2013 01:08:08 UTC+2, Burt Compton - Marfa a écrit*:

Another interesting link, with on-line 1/500 000 ICAO map of France:
http://carte.f-aero.fr/