Nimbus 2c wing templates

Old March 2nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Nimbus 2c wing templates

Hi

I am part owner of a Nimbus 2c (Alice in Wonderland - see
http://www.hart.wattle.id.au/alice) and we want to reprofile her wings
as she has acquired a definite 'lump' on the upper surface of the wing.

We are looking for either a set of templates/guides (located here in
Australia of course) or alternatively, the data we need to allow us to
get a set of templates/guides laser cut.

Our local expert tells us we need only the front 1/3 of the wing section
and the first template should be at about 300mm from the wing root and
then at 1m centres outward to the tip.

We've had a look on the Schempp Hirth web site for this data, but can't
find it.

I'm hoping that someone here can provide it - or else the information
that would allow me (with the aid of a spread sheet) to generate the
data needed.

Tks

Robert
Old March 2nd 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Robert Hart" wrote in message
[...]

Hello from a fellow N2C owner. So far, my wings look pretty good.

The FX-67-170 inner wing and FX-67-150 outer wing airfoil coordinates
available at the NASG airfoil database in a .DAT format. See:
http://www.nasg.com/afdb/list-airfoil-e.phtml

There are a number of PC airfoil plotting programs that can plot the airfoil
from the .DAT file format at the desired chord and save the shape as a .DXF
file. Many laser cutting shops can cut that shape in the material of your
choice from the .DXF file. I just had a set of airfoil templates made for
winglets out of plexiglass. The cost was trivial.

Bill Daniels

Old March 2nd 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Robert Hart" wrote in message

I'm hoping that someone here can provide it - or else the information that
would allow me (with the aid of a spread sheet) to generate the data
needed.

The FX-67-170 inner wing and FX-67-150 outer wing airfoil coordinates
available at the NASG airfoil database in a .DAT format. See:
http://www.nasg.com/afdb/list-airfoil-e.phtml

Just be advised that the FX67k170 coordinates at the NSG database are
probably not the best to use. There was originally an isue with airfoil
smoothness with some of the published coordinates from Stuttgart. In
this particular case, the leading edge is not quite smooth, and there is
a very obvious error with the sign of the y-coordinate on the lower
surface near the trailing edge (probably not important now, unless you
are planning to re-profile the flaps as well). There are some smoothed
and corrected coordinates around, it would be better to get those.

Charles

Old March 2nd 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello
Here http://www.appledor.net/tsillas/soaring/pikt7/pikt7.htm you can
find corrected numbers for the FX-67-170/150. They are from Pik-20 but
I would imagine that they are usable also for the Nimbus.
regards Matts

Old March 2nd 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Matts - Thanks for posting this. A small note:
- the links at the bottom are broken since you changed hosts (use
relative links !), and
- the articles are missing the title and publication date
Thanks again !
Best Regards, Dave

Old March 2nd 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:
Hello from a fellow N2C owner. So far, my wings look pretty good.

Hi!

The FX-67-170 inner wing and FX-67-150 outer wing airfoil coordinates
available at the NASG airfoil database in a .DAT format. See:
http://www.nasg.com/afdb/list-airfoil-e.phtml

There are a number of PC airfoil plotting programs that can plot the airfoil
from the .DAT file format at the desired chord and save the shape as a .DXF
file. Many laser cutting shops can cut that shape in the material of your
choice from the .DXF file. I just had a set of airfoil templates made for
winglets out of plexiglass. The cost was trivial.

Tks for the info.

Can you point me at a suitable PC aerofoil plotting program?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am very new at this, but I have a few
more questions.

First of all, how do I accurately scale the plots out along the wing?

It has been suggested to me that we get the first template cut for a
position 300mm from the wing root and then at 1m points out along the wing.

We'll presumably have to have a template for the end of the inner
section and another for the start of the outer section, given the change
in profile.

I am kind of hoping that there are people here who have done this before
and can provide some really good guidance.

I do not want to stuff this up!

Tks

Robert
Old March 2nd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

I just used the airfoil plotting program I already had on my computer which
is Profili 2. (http://www.profili2.com/) It's intended for model airplanes
but it seems to do the job. Don't try to print the airfoils, they are too
big for any commonly available PC printer. Just save them in .DXF format

And thaks to the poster that pointed out the errors in the NASG FX-67-170
coordinates. These are clear from the Profili plot. Dick Johnsons
coordinates look much better.

BTW, laser cut templates are beautiful and I'm thinking of making some wall
hangings of significant sailplane airfoils just for the asthetics. I'm
thinking that the templates could be cut from blue .125" Plexi and placed
over a sheet of white plext for the contrast. Pick you own colors.

Bill Daniels

Old March 3rd 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FWIW, I just posted a corrected FX-67-170 DAT file on gliderforum.com under
the Nimbus 2 group. I didn't correct the TE error since I don't think that
will matter to anyone.

Bill Daniels

Grob G102 Setup BDS Soaring 11 August 30th 05 03:42 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM