Flarm Antenna Mount JS1

Old August 12th 20, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flarm Antenna Mount JS1

Anyone have a nice, elegant solution on how to mount Flarm antennas on the glare shield of a JS1? I have used plastic brackets velcroed to the glare shield but in this Ga heat the Velcro just won’t hold. I am considering using plastic screws but hate the idea of drilling holes in my glare shield.
Ideas and photos of good installations would be appreciated.
Thanks,’
Chuck
Old August 12th 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 6:01:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Anyone have a nice, elegant solution on how to mount Flarm antennas on the glare shield of a JS1? I have used plastic brackets velcroed to the glare shield but in this Ga heat the Velcro just won’t hold. I am considering using plastic screws but hate the idea of drilling holes in my glare shield.
Ideas and photos of good installations would be appreciated.
Thanks,’
Chuck

https://toolguyd.com/scotch-extreme-fasteners-review/ These dual lock fasteners perhaps?

Frank
Old August 12th 20, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 5:01:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Anyone have a nice, elegant solution on how to mount Flarm antennas on the glare shield of a JS1? I have used plastic brackets velcroed to the glare shield but in this Ga heat the Velcro just won’t hold. I am considering using plastic screws but hate the idea of drilling holes in my glare shield.
Ideas and photos of good installations would be appreciated.
Thanks,’
Chuck

http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm

Different antennas and bulkhead mounts.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 12th 20, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 8:01:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Anyone have a nice, elegant solution on how to mount Flarm antennas on the glare shield of a JS1? I have used plastic brackets velcroed to the glare shield but in this Ga heat the Velcro just won’t hold. I am considering using plastic screws but hate the idea of drilling holes in my glare shield.
Ideas and photos of good installations would be appreciated.
Thanks,’
Chuck

I have a setup I like on my ASG-29 using "strong magnets" (e.g. https://www..amazon.com/s?k=high+str...p _bc_aui_C_4) . One is epoxied to the bottom of a plastic bracket I made for the antenna and the other is epoxied to the inside of the glareshield. It provides a very clean solution (no visible fixtures and no holes) and it's completely breakaway in case you need to jettison the canopy.

Before anyone brings up the issue, no, I haven't seen any issues with interference with electronics or the Flarm itself, but yes I would be careful to test that out before permanently going with this solution.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...&oe=5F5B1D 80
Old August 12th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I prefer clean and aesthetic solution in my glider without compromising on effectiveness. I am using the thinnest antenna from the link Richard (Craggy) provided with a breakaway connector. It works at least as well as the factory dipole antenna.
The PCAS/ADS-B antenna doesn’t not need to be fully exposed as the Flarm antenna, mine is mostly below the glare shield and still receive ADS-B signals from 20 miles away.

Ramy
Old August 12th 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The PCAS/ADS-B antenna doesn’t need to be fully exposed as the Flarm antenna, mine is mostly below the glare shield and still receive ADS-B signals from 20 miles away.

Ramy, I agree I don’t like a forrest of antennas. What do you fly, and more specifically do you have a carbon fiber fuselage? I think the JS1 fuselage is all carbon. A friend also suggested placing the ADSB antenna under the glare shield, but I dismissed the suggestion thinking it wouldn’t work, especially for traffic below. But would it?
Chuck
Old August 12th 20, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

strong magnets

Yikes. Should I assume you don’t have a compass in your panel?
Chuck
Old August 13th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I fly an ASG29 which has carbon cockpit.
The carbon is definitely an issue for the flarm antenna hence the reason for mounting on top of glare shield.
The Transponder signal is much stronger and as such the carbon is not as much of a factor. Your range below maybe reduced but should still be plenty. Most pilots reduce the PCAS range to 3-5 miles which is way below the range you will get. Mine is partial below, the top sticks out above the glare shield through a hole and the reception is more than enough. I did not experiment with the antenna fully enclosed under the glare shield.

Ramy
Old August 13th 20, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

An easy solution for mounting antenna is to use plexiglass or acrylic from the hardware store. 1/8" thick plexi is readily available. You can cut it with a saw or score and break it into a 1/2" strip. Then using a heat gun, it can be bent, twisted and manipulated to conform to whatever angles or surfaces you need to mate it to. Secure with 3M VHB double sided tape. That's the tape that GoPro mounts use and once it is set, it's very firmly attached. A small patch, .5x.75 inches is typically adequate yet will release if needed.

VHB tape on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-4950-Heavy...XS3GQF2AK46CFA

Morgan
Old August 14th 20, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

See the link for samples of antenna placement and resulting range:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...aEthaHP9KMHJ-G