Some good news

Old October 22nd 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Some good news

Oh, and check out the vario action after 0:30 in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DaLCSpVL35Tk

A pretty tame example compared to some, but I happened to have the phone
fi=
lming.

Bruce your US link doesn't work with our UK you tube servers. Has it got a
title I can search for?
Jim

Old October 22nd 15, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 1:15:07 PM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
Oh, and check out the vario action after 0:30 in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DaLCSpVL35Tk

A pretty tame example compared to some, but I happened to have the phone
fi=
lming.

Bruce your US link doesn't work with our UK you tube servers. Has it got a
title I can search for?
Jim

That's also a dead link in the USA for me.
Old October 22nd 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 12:15:07 PM UTC-5, Jim White wrote:

Bruce your US link doesn't work with our UK you tube servers. Has it got a
title I can search for?
Jim

Try looking for "ridge.mov". Not sure if that will help or not, but it is what I see as the title.

Steve Leonard
Old October 22nd 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Click on Bruce's link in his original message - it works fine. Jim White's replay has the broken link in it. Notice how Jim's link has an extra "3D" in the video identifier?

Here is the right one:

https://youtu.be/aLCSpVL35Tk

RS

Old October 22nd 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PGS

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 12:09:50 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
Wow! I think the one hitting the tree in flight and then landing back safely at the airport should buy the lottery ticket! There should be another good story there.

Ramy

Hopefully not to be discussed on RAS, just like I hope no one discusses the time I flew less than 500 feet below a cloud on a public forum...
Old October 22nd 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ain't it grand? Feeling Mother Nature's power. :-D

On 10/22/2015 10:08 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:27:40 PM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
Rotor is the Boogie Man.

In the Air Force flight training they showed us movies of a B-52
whose vertical tail had been torn off in an encounter with rotor. I
feared rotor, too, until encountering it for the first time in a
glider with the airspeed well within the green arc. Yes, it's
bumpy, but maintaining control is a non-event. Using rotor to climb
into the wave is sometimes the only way to get there. There's a
terrific mix of up and down but, if you stay on the upwind side of
the rotor, the net is up. You climb in rough air and then, all of a
sudden, it becomes silky smooth and the rate of climb increases
rapidly. What a treat! Having said that, I still have enough sense
not to fly through rotor with the airspeed in the yellow!

I dunno.

If you stay in the green then, yeah, you won't break the glider. But I've been in Omarama rotor where it was so uncomfortable that I wanted the airspeed more like 50 or 55 knots. And then the problem was having enough aileron authority to say upright. And occasionally, less than stall speed on the clock, and all you can do is accept the low G and the nose dropping until the speed comes back a few seconds later.

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 23rd 15, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

As would be expected, oxygen was a concern, as my intent on the initial climb was to go as high as possible (30k was looking promising on the initial climb up to 18). Just in case the wave was working at higher altitudes, i was on 100% oxygen after climibing up through 11,000, and then reduced to the standard dilutor demand system level when i hit 16k and realized it would be a while before ATC would give us approval to go up through the 20s. I was on a military MBU-12P mask with the A-14 regulator until crossing back down through 9k on the descent, and even went back to 100% O2 on the way down to ensure that my judgement would be 100% there.

At least when i took off, the rotor was a strong moderate, about at the limits of what we would be allowed to fly in back in Colorado with the AF. Certainly not conducive to good training, but i was able to maintain tow position with a little difficulty. The weather really wasn't that bad until i was all the way up high, then the additional moisture came through and seemed to close it all up.

The tree strike was really an environmentally separated incident. While it did occur on the same day, to say the two were relation i think is a bit of a stretch. The land-out and my bailout occurred in the same system at roughly the same time, and i believe arguments could be made relating the two of those, despite them occurring in very different phases and styles of flight.
Old October 23rd 15, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Am Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2015 17:27:40 UTC+2 schrieb Dan Marotta:
Rotor is the Boogie Man.

In the Air Force flight training they showed us movies of a B-52
whose vertical tail had been torn off in an encounter with rotor.* I
feared rotor, too, until encountering it for the first time in a
glider with the airspeed well within the green arc.* Yes, it's
bumpy, but maintaining control is a non-event.* Using rotor to climb
into the wave is sometimes the only way to get there.* There's a
terrific mix of up and down but, if you stay on the upwind side of
the rotor, the net is up.* You climb in rough air and then, all of a
sudden, it becomes silky smooth and the rate of climb increases
rapidly.* What a treat!* Having said that, I still have enough sense
not to fly through rotor with the airspeed in the yellow!
Dan, 5J

I can assure you that there are rotors out there where you can't maintain control in a glider *at all*, even if you are spiraling with 80 kts.

Bert
Ventus cM TW
Old October 23rd 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 8:15:07 PM UTC+3, Jim White wrote:
Oh, and check out the vario action after 0:30 in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DaLCSpVL35Tk

A pretty tame example compared to some, but I happened to have the phone
fi=
lming.

Bruce your US link doesn't work with our UK you tube servers. Has it got a
title I can search for?
Jim

Weird .. the link is correct, but somehow what you end up with in your browser is missing the final 'Tk' in the URL.

Try this version of the link https://youtu.be/aLCSpVL35Tk
Old October 23rd 15, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 10/23/2015 1:26 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2015 17:27:40 UTC+2 schrieb Dan Marotta:
Rotor is the Boogie Man.

In the Air Force flight training they showed us movies of a B-52 whose
vertical tail had been torn off in an encounter with rotor. I feared
rotor, too, until encountering it for the first time in a glider with the
airspeed well within the green arc. Yes, it's bumpy, but maintaining
control is a non-event. Using rotor to climb into the wave is sometimes
the only way to get there. There's a terrific mix of up and down but, if
you stay on the upwind side of the rotor, the net is up. You climb in
rough air and then, all of a sudden, it becomes silky smooth and the rate
of climb increases rapidly. What a treat! Having said that, I still
have enough sense not to fly through rotor with the airspeed in the
yellow! Dan, 5J

I can assure you that there are rotors out there where you can't maintain
control in a glider *at all*, even if you are spiraling with 80 kts.

Bert Ventus cM TW

+1 on TW's observation (my own being from Boulder, CO), though I always
attempted to hold a mere ~60 knots to reduce personal/ship G loads, accepting
whatever "unusual attitude" came my way. Worked for me. Never been rolled
beyond 90-degrees/vertical (against full opposite controls) or pitched much
more than +/- 45-degrees, but when this - and you're sometimes enveloped in
utterly still air just after an impressive gust of some sort - happens
vertically close to the foothills, it's a real thrill. Apply your own versions
of understated humor to that last...

Bob W.

Good news and bad news about SPOT 2 devices Frank[_12_] Soaring 6 May 12th 10 06:43 AM
The news is in. It's not good for the FAA Mike Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 23rd 09 08:16 PM
Some good news Jay Honeck Piloting 2 June 22nd 07 05:44 PM
(",) .............. Good News Everyone! .............. [email protected] Owning 0 January 26th 05 09:56 PM
Weak Dollar (Bad News - Good News) JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 January 27th 04 03:06 AM