A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

RIP John Shelton, Pez D Spencer

Old October 7th 19, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default RIP John Shelton, Pez D Spencer

I just learned John passed away on Sept 8th. He had been fighting brain cancer for several years. He was a good friend during my soaring days and we had a million laughs together. I will write more later as I know who most of the people he wrote about in Pez. He was one of a kind. Tom Hubbard VN
Old October 7th 19, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 6:25:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I just learned John passed away on Sept 8th. He had been fighting brain cancer for several years. He was a good friend during my soaring days and we had a million laughs together. I will write more later as I know who most of the people he wrote about in Pez. He was one of a kind. Tom Hubbard VN

I'll say! Sorry I never met him. As with many here, read and enjoyed Pez back in the day. John was obviously talented and blessed with a great sense of humor.
Old October 7th 19, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

I knew the folks at “Oasis”, otherwise known as a Turf Soaring in Phoenix. Tony Smolder and Alan Reeter were fixtures in those days. We had a trailer for a clubhouse, but don’t remember the scantily dressed ladies. John’s caricatures were spot on. And to many of us in that era, the 2-33 will always be the Gollywomper!

He’ll be missed.

Mike
Old October 7th 19, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

John was a postal, always good for a chuckle! I remember turning the first turnpoint on the practice day at Avenal, when John came on the air and said, “JJ, I got to work on my speed, you weren’t even on the field when I took Off”! He seldom talked about it, but he punched out of an F-4 in Vietnam, shot down by ground fire!
Mark us a good thermal John, were all headed your way!
JJ
Old October 7th 19, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Loved his love for life and the way he expressed himself, no greater honor than being the subject of one of his cartoons. See you soon John.

Gary Kemp "NK"
Old October 12th 19, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

John, Mario Crosina and I had a many a X-country adventure out of Avenal back in the day.

The most funny 30 minutes of my life were when, at an Avenal contest, about 20 of us ended up rolling on the floor when John did a rift on ag spraying in Columbia. John could tell a story.

Bruce Patton
96S

Old October 14th 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 9:25:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Could someone repost his story about cropdusting and being charged with killing a farm animal in court because a veterinarian had to kill the animal in order to prove something about John's flying? I lost my copy and I had his permission to use/reprint it.
Old October 15th 19, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

Nyla, not what you asked for, but folks new and old might want to enjoy Pez here. If Tom H and Gary K wanted to provide the names and backstories, maybe CCSC or PASCO could archive them.

I made a reference to Pez a couple months back, and passed the responses to John. I think he put this site up in response. I dont know for how long it is prepaid.

John did the art for Cal City Regional and CCSC contest tshirts for close to 20 years. Many of us enjoyed his irreverent humor.
I treasure my audio file of him singing "Cal City Diamond Mine".

Fly safely.
Cindy
Old October 15th 19, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

John was great. And for those who didn't know, his actual contest ID was 05 or "Zero Sinko" in Spanglish.
The Region 12 t-shirt that was derived from a Volkswagen slogan was the best comp shirt ever! Pez is wearing it on the home page and elsewhere.
Jim
Old October 15th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 2:46:20 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
John was great. And for those who didn't know, his actual contest ID was 05 or "Zero Sinko" in Spanglish.
The Region 12 t-shirt that was derived from a Volkswagen slogan was the best comp shirt ever! Pez is wearing it on the home page and elsewhere.
Jim

My two Fukenboomin shirts are prized posessions.