Using a nook for xcsoar

Old October 11th 12, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
folken

Default Using a nook for xcsoar

Rob recently documented his nook installation from his glider he

http://xcsoar-robd.wikispaces.com/XC...k+Simple+Touch

He hooked it up to his cai302 via serial and patches in the power from the aircraft battery.

I think this is the most cost effective way for a sunlight readable glide computer to date. The costs are around 100 USD.

Old October 11th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

I think this is the most cost effective way for a sunlight readable glide computer to date. The costs are around 100 USD.

Just looked on my local Craigslist and found many Nook's available and
barely used for $45 to $75. Can't beat that.
I like the super crisp B&W display.

Old October 11th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

NOOK seems to be better than anything else at the moment. I hope
there will bee soon something smaller (4.5 inch ?) available. That
would fit better in gliders.
We (Soartronic) hope that the next IOIO board, that is USB OTG
capable, will work with NOOK!

Old October 11th 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cool!

Glad to see this. I have had XCsoar running (simulation mode)on a Nook Color using an N2A card, which basically turns the Nook into an Android tablet.. The Nook looks much better than my 4700 in sunlight. The intent was to connect to GPS via Bluetooth. Unfortunately, while it will see Bluetooth devices, I have not been able to pair. Maybe one of you really smart people can figure out why....

P9
Old October 12th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Perfect, I purchased a Nook Simple Touch, just to explore this possibility. I will be following this closely and will probably work on implementing it in the next few months. If I can get it away from my wife long enough to try it.

Thanks for posting

Brian

Old October 12th 12, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This has piqued my interest some and I was wondering whether an old Cambridge 10, 20, or 25 model that outputs serial GPS could be used as the GPS engine for the Nook?
I know it would not have the vario information but would it be as accurate as a standalone Dell Streak say?

Bob 7U

Old October 12th 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Oct 12, 10:23*am, wrote:
This has piqued my interest some and I was wondering whether an old Cambridge 10, 20, or 25 model that outputs serial GPS could be used as the GPS engine for the Nook?
I know it would not have the vario information but would it be as accurate as a standalone Dell Streak say?

The problem with the CAI 10/20/25 is that they don't provide an NMEA
sentence that contains GPS altitude, and the most common firmware
versions only output pressure altitude if you send them a special
handshake sequence which (to my knowledge) has not been revealed to
3rd parties. So, you could see your position on the Nook, but you'd
likely be out of luck on altitude...

Marc
Old October 14th 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

My experience is, that CAI and Volkslogger GPS signals are quite a
lot delayed. Might be slow communication speed, or filtering. This
makes it difficult to use moving map for navigation. FLARM works
much better.

Old October 15th 12, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

On Oct 11, 6:42*am, folken wrote:
Rob recently documented his nook installation from his glider he

http://xcsoar-robd.wikispaces.com/XC...k+Simple+Touch

Does someone know how to get in touch with "Rob"? I sent him a message
on the wikispaces site but never heard back.
Old October 16th 12, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

you should be able to find his email address in the authors list of XCSoar at http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/master/xc...t/tree/AUTHORS

CAI-302 and XCSoar Dan Marotta Soaring 7 March 29th 12 09:55 PM
xcsoar [email protected] Soaring 40 August 13th 09 09:01 PM
XCSoar in the UK Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 August 10th 09 10:46 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 12:05 AM