A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Discus Rudder Pedal Adjustment

Old February 22nd 16, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Discus Rudder Pedal Adjustment

Just got my Discus back from the shop and noticed the rudder pedal adjustment cable is not attached to the "adjustment mechanism" between the rudder pedals. Can anyone shed some light on how to reattach (is there a diagram somewhere)?
I think there may be a spring missing as well.

Thanks,
Jim
Old February 22nd 16, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The spring is contained within the lower of the two tubes that the pedal assembly slides on. The spring goes theough the bulkhead at the front and makes a 180 degree turn around a bushing/pulley behind the bulkhead and then comes aft between the two metal tubes where it attaches to the cable that goes to the black T handle. If memory serves correct, the cable goes through a hole in the release lever and is simply crimped with a small loop. The spring hooks on the loop. When the cable is pulled, the body of the crimp ferrule hits the lever and raises the pin. When the T handle is released, the spring pulls the cable forward through lever to remove any slack.
Old February 23rd 16, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:48:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
The spring is contained within the lower of the two tubes that the pedal assembly slides on. The spring goes theough the bulkhead at the front and makes a 180 degree turn around a bushing/pulley behind the bulkhead and then comes aft between the two metal tubes where it attaches to the cable that goes to the black T handle. If memory serves correct, the cable goes through a hole in the release lever and is simply crimped with a small loop. The spring hooks on the loop. When the cable is pulled, the body of the crimp ferrule hits the lever and raises the pin. When the T handle is released, the spring pulls the cable forward through lever to remove any slack.

I can confirm this as well, at least to the afaik standard, I've not seen formal drawing or description of the assembly. The adjust cable in my Ventus B was not even running through the hole in the release pin (i found out after disassembly) and started causing problems so I made the fix, it works much better after routing the cable through that hole. And to add... the spring is connected on the glider side to the little post located inside the upper tubing of the rudder assembly, simply hook the spring on to it, then then spring routes around the roller guide, then connects to the swaged loop of the cable. Good luck, it is an awkward fix! Have plenty of (10 mm?) options available, standard wrenches, sockets, extenders, etc. I unhooked pilot side left of the rudder cable to do the repair as well.
Old February 26th 16, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 10:22:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Just got my Discus back from the shop and noticed the rudder pedal adjustment cable is not attached to the "adjustment mechanism" between the rudder pedals. Can anyone shed some light on how to reattach (is there a diagram somewhere)?
I think there may be a spring missing as well.

Thanks,
Jim

OK...Thanks All....Jim