Ghost Ship

Old March 30th 05, 05:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Ghost Ship

The silver plane sits lightly on the tarmac, gazing skyward at that cocky
angle that makes taxiing a Stearman such a chore. It is clearly ready for
flight.

It's been sitting there for three days, as I write this.

Full of gas, fabric freshly redone, immaculately painted -- all dressed up,
with no where to go. The wind makes it moan, the struts singing as if it
were straining against an unnatural force, gravity. Gently rocking in the
breeze, like a disconsolate orphan, crying.

You see, this Stearman isn't leaving any time soon. Its owner flew into
Iowa City on Easter Sunday, to meet a friend. Probably made all sorts of
promises in order to sneak away from his family on such a fine holiday. The
friend had recently acquired an aerobatic Christen Eagle, and both men were
eager to see what it could do, on this, the first nice day of the spring.

Within minutes, both lay dead in the wreckage, having augured into a corn
field south of Iowa City. Witnesses say that they got into an unrecoverable
tail slide too close to the ground. Rumors of engine problems and aft CGs
abound, but no one really knows what happened.

Many of us fly ghost ships nowadays. My plane, for example, is 31 years
old, and has had many owners. Some were good for Atlas, some were not --
but many have passed on. In my mind's eye their ghostly fingers alight
gently on his paint, reliving all the good times, stroking his flanks,
feeling the dings in his propeller. Maybe even resting their hands on his
yoke, as I carefully cart my young family cross country.

The big silver plane is so different, yet somehow the same. Born during a
great World War, the Stearman has had so many more owners, so many more
pilots. How many hands have gripped those controls, cheating death and
dancing in the clouds? How many have passed away?

How many were killed during the war?

There's no way to know, of course, and in some strange way, those deaths
were, I don't know, *expected*. After all, those boys were training to
fight a war, and possibly to die -- and many did. These recent deaths
seems so much worse to me, somehow, having happened as they did in such
idyllic times, leaving behind a broken family and a ghost ship to sit on an
empty, wind-swept ramp, waiting for an owner who shall never return.

Meanwhile, I'm left to wonder how long that beautiful Stearman, that ghost
ship, will sit, waiting, grating on my soul...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 30th 05, 06:10 PM
jsmith

Someone needs to put it in a hangar.

Old March 30th 05, 06:48 PM
Grumman-581

Sounds like there might be a Stearman up for sale soon...

Old March 30th 05, 07:14 PM
Franklin Newton

Eloquent words Jay

Old March 30th 05, 07:31 PM
Jay Beckman

Nice...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old March 30th 05, 07:55 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm left to wonder how long that beautiful Stearman, that ghost
ship, will sit, waiting, grating on my soul...

Sounds like the only thing for you to do is buy it, Jay. Call it an extension of
your Stearman suite.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.
Old March 30th 05, 08:30 PM
Jack Allison

Nicely put Jay.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Buying Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old March 30th 05, 08:45 PM
Steve Foley

Good point.

Jay, if you can find a hangar to put it in, I'll kick something in for the
rent. I'm sure others will too.

Old March 30th 05, 09:09 PM
Jim Burns

Talk about a write-off opportunity!!
Banner towing in a Stearman advertising the Inn!
Sometimes life's greatest opportunities are visible only through the tears
of others.
Jim