"Da Mayor" At Work

Old May 4th 05, 10:40 PM
Jay Honeck

Default "Da Mayor" At Work

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050504/..._truck_scandal

Maybe they'll finally arrest King Daley for willful and criminal destruction
of public property?

Supposedly, he's "hurt, embarrassed and disappointed" that there is actual
corruption in Chicago! Imagine that?

Ha! I hope they throw the book at this crook. Maybe we'll get Meigs back
after all...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 4th 05, 10:50 PM
John Galban

Jay Honeck wrote:

Supposedly, he's "hurt, embarrassed and disappointed" that there is

actual
corruption in Chicago! Imagine that?

Get real Jay! He's "hurt, embarrassed and disappointed" that he got
caught. That's it. Just business as usual in the Windy City.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 4th 05, 11:49 PM
kontiki

Jay Honeck wrote:

Ha! I hope they throw the book at this crook. Maybe we'll get Meigs back
after all...

No way! Mayor "Dick" Daley a crook? He would *never* take money under the
table or be involved in anything un-toward or ellegal....

N O T !

Old May 5th 05, 05:02 AM
CJ

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050504/..._truck_scandal

Maybe they'll finally arrest King Daley for willful and criminal
destruction of public property?

Supposedly, he's "hurt, embarrassed and disappointed" that there is actual
corruption in Chicago! Imagine that?

Ha! I hope they throw the book at this crook. Maybe we'll get Meigs back
after all...
--
Jay Honeck

Y'know, I joined AOPA because of their indignation over Meigs. I'm ignoring
their reinlistment emails because of their inability to do squat. What was
the final fine? $13,000 or something?! And AOPA spent tens of thousands
for that, and acts smug.

Freinds of Meigs needed help. AOPA promised help and threw words at them.
Meigs is toast.

Paraphrasing Boyer, "Your organization is..." nothing.

Damn, I wish Edward Abbey was still alive (and a pilot)!

- cj

Old May 5th 05, 07:18 AM
Peter Duniho

"CJ" wrote in message ...
Y'know, I joined AOPA because of their indignation over Meigs. I'm
ignoring their reinlistment emails because of their inability to do squat.
What was the final fine? $13,000 or something?! And AOPA spent tens of
thousands for that, and acts smug.

So far. My understanding is that the investigation into the
mis-appropriated $1.2 million (or whatever it was...I think that's close)
used to tear up the airport is still underway. Fines of up to treble
damages are in store if the funds are determined to have been misused (and
that seems likely).

We'll see...but in any case, AOPA certainly did more than anyone else. Who
else are you going to support?

Freinds of Meigs needed help. AOPA promised help and threw words at them.
Meigs is toast.

Short of engaging in criminal acts, what was AOPA to do? When you're
dealing with someone willing to tear up an airport in the dead of night,
trying to handle an issue through legal channels can be impossible.

I'm also surprised that you don't consider their work to open the TFRs here
in the Puget Sound to be significant. Granted, we're still dealing with the
stupid Bangor one, but the trend is definitely an improvement, and at least
Bagor hasn't turned into a Restricted Area.

I don't think AOPA's perfect, but it's certainly far better than nothing,
and well worth the tiny annual cost for each member.

Pete

Old May 5th 05, 12:58 PM
Denny

From: "Jay Honeck" - Find messages by this
author
Subject: "Da Mayor" At Work
Maybe they'll finally arrest King Daley for willful and criminal
destruction
of public property?

uuuhhh Jay, you just fell off the turnip truck, right?
Arrest the mayor of Chicago for grift, graft, and corruption, plus
scoring land for his developer buddies snork, chortle, choke, gasp,
gurgle - damn it hurts when you blow hot tea out your nose all over the
keyboard Surely you jest!

denny

Old May 5th 05, 01:15 PM
OtisWinslow

I've been in AOPA since the late 70s. I become more disillisioned with them
by the year. They're impotent. Recently they shut down their message
board instead of just controlling a couple rogue posters. They put out a
line
that they're just "improving" it .. I guess time will tell on that one. The
DC
ADIZ and the constant pop up 30 mile radius TFRs are still around. They're
a business that sells memberships .. not an an organization for the benefit
of members.

Old May 5th 05, 01:44 PM
Greg Farris

In article Ajbee.56173$WI3.25446@attbi_s71, says...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050504/..._truck_scandal

Maybe they'll finally arrest King Daley for willful and criminal destruction
of public property?

Supposedly, he's "hurt, embarrassed and disappointed" that there is actual
corruption in Chicago! Imagine that?

Yeah, I saw that too.
I feel really sorry for him.

G Faris

Old May 5th 05, 03:41 PM
Chris W

OtisWinslow wrote:

I've been in AOPA since the late 70s. I become more disillisioned with them
by the year. They're impotent. Recently they shut down their message
board instead of just controlling a couple rogue posters. They put out a
line
that they're just "improving" it .. I guess time will tell on that one. The
DC
ADIZ and the constant pop up 30 mile radius TFRs are still around. They're
a business that sells memberships .. not an an organization for the benefit
of members.

The AOPA is a very small organization when compared to the money
involved in politics. I think you guys are expecting too much. How
much do you think such an organization can do in the face or corrupt
politicians, or even just ones that get more money from other interest
groups. I think the only way we are going to stop this kind of thing,
is for EVERY rights group to join forces and fight every stupid
political move or law that restricts the rights of any group. I doubt
that will happen. We lazy Americans don't seem to care until it is
something that directly effects us and what we like to do. What I don't
think most realize, is that an attack on any groups freedom is an attack
on everyone's freedom. Of course there is one big problem with my idea,
lots of so called rights groups that have nothing to do with rights and
really have the same agenda as the people trying to take away rights.

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com
Old May 5th 05, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article , "CJ" wrote:

Y'know, I joined AOPA because of their indignation over Meigs. I'm ignoring
their reinlistment emails because of their inability to do squat. What was
the final fine? $13,000 or something?! And AOPA spent tens of thousands
for that, and acts smug.

Freinds of Meigs needed help. AOPA promised help and threw words at them.
Meigs is toast.

Paraphrasing Boyer, "Your organization is..." nothing.

AOPA has done some good, and they are a constant lobby in Washington,
without which I suspect many more of us would be grounded due to
restrictions and excessive regulation.

However, AOPA certainly does appear to pick their battles. It seemed
pretty clear to me that Meigs wasn't a battle that they were willing to
spend a huge effort fighting. The battle had raged for years while the
City of Chicago played games and taunted the aviation community with
restrictions and harrassment. The City digs up the runway, and all of a
sudden AOPA is outraged. I was outraged years ago when my wife and I
tried to visit the terminal and were nearly subjected to a strip search
by two of "Chicago's Finest" before being turned away. The Meigs
situation had been deteriorating for years, and I suspect that AOPA was
focused on what they considered to be bigger, more important battles.
In my opinion, whatever AOPA is doing now with regards to Meigs is of
little consequence; the airport is gone and will likely never be
restored.

JKG

Hey! What fun!! Let's let them kill ourselves!!! [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 December 17th 04 10:45 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Simulators 0 November 9th 04 05:39 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 9th 04 05:37 PM