Howie Keefe's Topo Atlas/WAC charts & frequencies

Old November 27th 03, 10:18 PM
Mark

Default Howie Keefe's Topo Atlas/WAC charts & frequencies

I was looking at purchasing a Topo Atlas from airchart.com It says its
based on WAC charts and they don't have alot of airport frequencies
listed. When traveling with these atlases, how do you find frequencies
if you have to deviate around weather or something else? Do you also
have to carry around facility directories for the country?

Please email replies if possible as well.

Thanks

Mark
Old November 27th 03, 11:52 PM
Mark

In article , "Jim Weir"
wrote:

I've been using Keefe's Atlas for three years now and wouldn't go back
to WACs if you gave them to me. I don't know what frequencies you are
referring to; all the places I go have the frequencies well defined on
the charts.

I checked some smaller airports and they didn't have freq. listed. One
would be ljf (litchfield) about 50 mi W of Minneapolis class B
Old November 28th 03, 12:28 AM
Jim Weir

I've been using Keefe's Atlas for three years now and wouldn't go back to WACs
if you gave them to me. I don't know what frequencies you are referring to;
all the places I go have the frequencies well defined on the charts.

"Mark"

-I was looking at purchasing a Topo Atlas from airchart.com It says its
-based on WAC charts and they don't have alot of airport frequencies
-listed. When traveling with these atlases, how do you find frequencies
-if you have to deviate around weather or something else? Do you also
-have to carry around facility directories for the country?

If you don't want to bother reading your usenet posts for a reply, why use
usenet in the first place?

-
-Please email replies if possible as well.
-
-Thanks
-
-Mark

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 28th 03, 12:43 AM
Mark

In article , "Jim Weir"
wrote:

That's because Litchfield doesn't HAVE any frequencies, not even a
Unicom. No little "U" at the end of the airport info block on the
chart. The AOPA airport directory says that 122.9 is monitored, but
this is strictly unofficial.

well, it does have a CTAF.. but I suppose that's not an official freq..

However, the advantage of having the entire USA in one relatively small
book far outweighs the disadvantage of not knowing the unicom frequency
from the chart. For that and a dozen other reasons (phone numbers,
fuel, etc.) I carry the AOPA Airport Directory right next to the Topo
Atlas. That and I do check the airport I'm flying to on Airnav to get
the up to date info.

oh yeah.. I had forgotten about that.. the paper AOPA directory
Thanks for that tip. The updates for the atlas, are they a pdf or
something you print out? I wish they had a sample update you could look
at.
Old November 28th 03, 01:35 AM
Jim Weir

That's because Litchfield doesn't HAVE any frequencies, not even a Unicom. No
little "U" at the end of the airport info block on the chart. The AOPA airport
directory says that 122.9 is monitored, but this is strictly unofficial.

However, one of the big deficiences (IMHO) of the WAC charts is that they simply
say "U" without specifying WHICH unicom frequency it is. This was fine back in
the good old days when 122.8 was *it*, but is lacking in the current airspace.

-

Old November 28th 03, 03:31 AM
Jim Weir

The minor updates are just information lines that you can pencil-write on the
charts. Major updates are color printed page parts that you scotch-tape over
the old information.

Jim

"Mark"

Old November 28th 03, 03:42 AM
David Johnson

I have used the Topo Atlas for several coast-to-coast trips, and
found it a whole lot easier to use than a stack of sectionals.
For frequency info I always carry the AOPA Airport Directory -
and this info is also on my GPS North America Database.

David Johnson
Old November 28th 03, 04:01 AM
ArtP

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:18:38 -0600, "Mark" wrote:

I was looking at purchasing a Topo Atlas from airchart.com It says its
based on WAC charts and they don't have alot of airport frequencies
listed.

I used to use the WACs from Aircharts. But now that I tried the
Sectionals from Aircharts (2 books, one east and one west) I will use
them instead.
Old November 28th 03, 04:13 AM
Mark

In article , "ArtP"
wrote:

I used to use the WACs from Aircharts. But now that I tried the
Sectionals from Aircharts (2 books, one east and one west) I will use
them instead.

They released both sectional charts? are they giving a break on it if
you order both? I saw the price for one was $100
Old November 28th 03, 12:45 PM
ArtP

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:13:13 -0600, "Mark" wrote:

They released both sectional charts? are they giving a break on it if
you order both? I saw the price for one was $100

Can't answer that since I only need the east.