which frequencies are all?

Old April 8th 04, 07:58 PM
One's Too Many

This wasn't Abilene TX, was it?

They probably meant tower, ground, and clearance delivery (the
airport-specific channels) were all combined onto the tower frequency.
Approach generally stays on it's own channel, but often approach and
departure get combined too since the same person is handling both.

"Ryan" f wrote in message ...
I would have done the same thing. Maybe it meant only if you were landing
in the Class C.

"Arden Prinz" wrote in message
om...
I was approaching class C airspace for landing at the primary airport
for which the class C airspace is designated and I listened to the
ATIS. The ATIS said "all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency". So I tuned to TowerFrequency and made my radio
call to approach. The response that I got was that I needed to call
approach on the approach frequency. So, I guess that begs the
question ... when the ATIS says "all frequencies are combined", which
frequencies are included in "all frequencies"?

Thank-you in advance.

Old April 8th 04, 10:21 PM
Newps

Tony Cox wrote:

It seems like a misleading ATIS instruction. I've often heard
"Clearance and Ground combined on xx.xx" but never "all
frequencies".

It was confusing. And when all the freq's are combined they should
always be combined on the approach frequency. We do this every night
after 8 pm and it stays that way until 6:30 am the next day. The ATIS
broadcast will say "All aircraft contact Billings 120.5..."

Arden's question isn't easy to answer anyway. If I were approaching
Monterrey (MTR), class C, approach is handled by a facility in
the tower on the floor below the guys looking out of the window.
If I heard "all frequencies" from MTR, I'd assume it means approach
too.

And if it wasn't I would question the controller right there.

Old April 8th 04, 10:22 PM
Newps

SFM wrote:

Tower, ground, and clearance delivery. ATIS is for the airport you listening
to not approach control

Sorry, no.

Old April 9th 04, 12:22 AM
Arden Prinz

Scott,

There was only one airport involved, it was the one to which I was
flying, and it was the approach control for that airport. There are
no other airports in the area. If the ATIS doesn't pertain to
approach, then it seems odd that approach always wants to know that
you've listened to it before calling approach.

Arden

"SFM" wrote in message ...
Tower, ground, and clearance delivery. ATIS is for the airport you listening
to not approach control

Scott F. Migaldi, K9PO
MI-150972
PP-ASEL-IA

Old April 9th 04, 12:26 AM
Arden Prinz

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message ink.net...
Based on the tower's reply, it appears "all frequencies" means tower, ground
control, and clearance delivery frequencies.

That's what I figured. Would "all frequencies" have the same meaning
at other locations, or is the meaning of "all frequencies"
location-specific? I'd like to make my first call on the appropriate
frequency; when I have passengers (as I did when this happened), it
makes me look stupid (or maybe stupider :-) ), when I call and am told
that I'm on the wrong frequency.

Arden
Old April 9th 04, 12:31 AM
Arden Prinz

"Neil Gould" wrote in message ink.net...
I would have presumed it meant exactly as you did. Out of curiosity, what
happened next? Did they give you the approach frequency, change the ATIS,
or did you get the same controller when you changed frequencies?

Neil

The tower controller gave me the approach frequency (though I knew it
already). I switched to approach. I'm honestly not sure whether it
was the same guy or not ... I think it might been a different person,
but his voice did sound similar. :-)

Arden
Old April 9th 04, 12:38 AM
Arden Prinz

A solution requiring no thought is just call approach per normal, and
switch to further freqs as instructed or to just "stay with me," as
happened to me once at big Milwaukee apt at 5AM, from 30 miles out to
all the way to shutdown.

Fred, I want to make the initial call on the proper frequency. When
I've
been on the ground preparing to taxi and I hear on the ATIS that
tower, ground, and clearance are combined on TowerFrequency, then my
initial call has been on the TowerFrequency. Likewise, when I'm on
the ground preparing to taxi, I've hear on the ATIS that all
frequencies are combined on TowerFrequency, then my initial call is
on TowerFrequency. This was the first time I was ever arriving and
heard on the ATIS that all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency an it seemed to me like that meant that my initial
call should have been on TowerFrequency.

I you happen to know the same guy has been working twr and ground,
after startup, wouldn't you still call on ground freq? Otherwise,
you're setting yourself up for embarrassment if 10 seconds prior, the
ground controller returned from the can, and both positions are back
to normal. Correct?

Hmmmm. I have no insight into who is working where. But if I listen
to the ATIS and it tells me to use a certain frequency, and I use some
other frequencey, then wouldn't that be setting myself up for
embarrassment (they might figure I neglected to listen to the ATIS).

Arden
Old April 9th 04, 01:40 AM
Bill Denton

A few thoughts...

I believe you started with a bad assumption. If you think about it, tower,
ground, clearance, and ATIS are associated with a single airport.

But approach is not associated with any particular airport. Even though a
given approach may serve only one airport, it's not associated with that
airport, it's associated with a center. This is why you may see approach and
departure on the same frequency.

I'm gathering that at the point in your flight where you checked the ATIS,
you would be talking to approach, and you would later switch to tower. Which
is why tower kicked you back to approach.

In the future it would probably help if you could keep in mind who the
service "belongs" to, and that would guide you where to tune for what.

Hope this is useful...

Old April 9th 04, 02:28 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Arden Prinz" wrote in message
om...

That's what I figured. Would "all frequencies" have the same meaning
at other locations, or is the meaning of "all frequencies"
location-specific? I'd like to make my first call on the appropriate
frequency; when I have passengers (as I did when this happened), it
makes me look stupid (or maybe stupider :-) ), when I call and am told
that I'm on the wrong frequency.

"All frequencies" is not standard phraseology. In my opinion it shouldn't
be used as it was because it's quite reasonable to make the assumption you
did. Instead, the ATIS should just state that ground, clearance, and tower
are combined on tower frequency.

Old April 9th 04, 02:31 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

But approach is not associated with any particular airport. Even
though a given approach may serve only one airport, it's not
associated with that airport, it's associated with a center.

How so? Approach tends to be located at the airport it was established to
serve, not at a center.

This is why you may see approach and
departure on the same frequency.

I don't see the connection.