which frequencies are all?

Old April 8th 04, 01:45 PM
Arden Prinz

Default which frequencies are all?

I was approaching class C airspace for landing at the primary airport
for which the class C airspace is designated and I listened to the
ATIS. The ATIS said "all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency". So I tuned to TowerFrequency and made my radio
call to approach. The response that I got was that I needed to call
approach on the approach frequency. So, I guess that begs the
question ... when the ATIS says "all frequencies are combined", which
frequencies are included in "all frequencies"?

Thank-you in advance.
Old April 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Ryan

I would have done the same thing. Maybe it meant only if you were landing
in the Class C.

om...

Old April 8th 04, 04:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Arden Prinz" wrote in message
om...

I was approaching class C airspace for landing at the primary airport
for which the class C airspace is designated and I listened to the
ATIS. The ATIS said "all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency". So I tuned to TowerFrequency and made
my radio call to approach. The response that I got was that I
needed to call approach on the approach frequency. So, I guess
that begs the question ... when the ATIS says "all frequencies are
combined", which frequencies are included in "all frequencies"?

Based on the tower's reply, it appears "all frequencies" means tower, ground
control, and clearance delivery frequencies. But that doesn't mean your
assumption was unreasonable.

Old April 8th 04, 04:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ryan" f wrote in message ...

I would have done the same thing. Maybe it meant only if you
were landing in the Class C.

He was.

Old April 8th 04, 04:22 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Arden Prinz posted:

I was approaching class C airspace for landing at the primary airport
for which the class C airspace is designated and I listened to the
ATIS. The ATIS said "all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency". So I tuned to TowerFrequency and made my radio
call to approach. The response that I got was that I needed to call
approach on the approach frequency. So, I guess that begs the
question ... when the ATIS says "all frequencies are combined", which
frequencies are included in "all frequencies"?

I would have presumed it meant exactly as you did. Out of curiosity, what
happened next? Did they give you the approach frequency, change the ATIS,
or did you get the same controller when you changed frequencies?

Neil

Old April 8th 04, 04:43 PM
TaxSrv

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
Based on the tower's reply, it appears "all frequencies" means

tower, ground
control, and clearance delivery frequencies. But that doesn't mean

your
assumption was unreasonable.

A solution requiring no thought is just call approach per normal, and
switch to further freqs as instructed or to just "stay with me," as
happened to me once at big Milwaukee apt at 5AM, from 30 miles out to
all the way to shutdown.

I you happen to know the same guy has been working twr and ground,
after startup, wouldn't you still call on ground freq? Otherwise,
you're setting yourself up for embarrassment if 10 seconds prior, the
ground controller returned from the can, and both positions are back
to normal. Correct?

Fred IF.

Old April 8th 04, 05:15 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Arden Prinz" wrote in message
om...

I was approaching class C airspace for landing at the primary airport
for which the class C airspace is designated and I listened to the
ATIS. The ATIS said "all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency". So I tuned to TowerFrequency and made
my radio call to approach. The response that I got was that I
needed to call approach on the approach frequency. So, I guess
that begs the question ... when the ATIS says "all frequencies are
combined", which frequencies are included in "all frequencies"?

Based on the tower's reply, it appears "all frequencies" means tower,

ground
control, and clearance delivery frequencies. But that doesn't mean your
assumption was unreasonable.

It seems like a misleading ATIS instruction. I've often heard
"Clearance and Ground combined on xx.xx" but never "all
frequencies".

Some pilots - especially newly minted ones - don't realize and
don't really have any reason to suspect that different functions
are handled at different facilities. Publications like "Pilot Guide"
add confusion by listing ATIS, Approach, Tower & Ground in
little boxes for each airport. Who, without extra knowledge, would
suspect that "Approach" is handled by a different facility?

Arden's question isn't easy to answer anyway. If I were approaching
Monterrey (MTR), class C, approach is handled by a facility in
the tower on the floor below the guys looking out of the window.
If I heard "all frequencies" from MTR, I'd assume it means approach
too.

Old April 8th 04, 06:08 PM
SFM

Tower, ground, and clearance delivery. ATIS is for the airport you listening
to not approach control

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------

Old April 8th 04, 06:58 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Arden Prinz wrote:
The ATIS said "all frequencies are combined on
TowerFrequency".

I got the ATIS and Boundary Bay, BC (class D-esque, I forget if that
is actually class D in Canada). I was alert for the fact that they
had a new second tower frequency. The ATIS said "frequency blah blah
is now in use" so I call them on that frequency and they chastize
me -- the ATIS said "not in use". Raar!!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/