Dual Transponders?

Old December 4th 03, 06:52 AM
Scott Aron Bloom

Default Dual Transponders?

Ok, Im not talking about the commercial carriers. But why would a general
aviation plane have dual transponders? Why waste the panel space? So they
go
tits up that often in flight where its necessary?

Scott

Old December 4th 03, 07:29 AM
Venus

I dont know either, but when I was at the avionics shop picking up my plane
recently, there was a pressureized C-210 they had just starteding working and
let me peek inside. It had dual garmin 330 x-ponders, garmin 430,530 and an
MX20, it also had some other nifty stuff like a flight navigator and so on.

Old December 4th 03, 07:44 AM
Dave S

Ive seen a couple of GA aircraft with em, and more than plenty of biz
jets that DONT.. I dont know the rhyme or reason. If I was limited on
panel space, Im sure a 2nd xponder would be low on the list.

Dave

Old December 4th 03, 02:36 PM
Dan Luke

"Venus" wrote:
it also had some other nifty stuff like a flight navigator

What's that?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 4th 03, 03:16 PM
Teacherjh

How does a second transponder fit in to the datastream? Aren't they both
transmitting the same data at the same time on the same frequencies? Wont that
interefere with itself?

Jose

Old December 4th 03, 03:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

How does a second transponder fit in to the datastream? Aren't they both
transmitting the same data at the same time on the same frequencies? Wont

that
interefere with itself?

The second would only be used if ATC reported a problem with the first one.

Old December 4th 03, 04:55 PM
Casey Wilson

"Scott Aron Bloom" wrote in message
Ok, Im not talking about the commercial carriers. But why would a general
aviation plane have dual transponders? Why waste the panel space? So

they
go
tits up that often in flight where its necessary?

Scott

I dunno, but maybe for the same reason some people carry along handheld
radios, pocket GPS, extra batteries, 2 or 3 pencils, yadda, yadda...

Old December 4th 03, 06:07 PM
Brad Z

I noticed that ATP Inc. uses two transponders in their Seminole trainers.
My understanding is that because many of the ATP locations only have one
plane, no maintenance shop, and operate out of class C airports, a faulty
transponder would effectively ground the airplane, making a "Four day" multi
course a four week course.

Old December 4th 03, 06:13 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Brad Z" wrote in message

I noticed that ATP Inc. uses two transponders in their Seminole trainers.
My understanding is that because many of the ATP locations only have one
plane, no maintenance shop, and operate out of class C airports, a faulty
transponder would effectively ground the airplane, making a "Four day"

multi
course a four week course.

A faulty transponder COULD effectively ground the airplane. ATC can
authorize operations without a transponder, but there's no guarantee they
will.

Old December 4th 03, 09:57 PM
Scott Aron Bloom

This makes sense, but I was just looking on ASO at some senecas and about
10-15% had
dual xponders. But I was also seeing them on bonanzas and others....

Scott