Pilot's Political Orientation

Old April 18th 04, 08:45 AM
S Green

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. ..

"Judah" wrote in message
"Dave Stadt" wrote in
:

"Judah" wrote in message
How, exactly, do the rich get richer without taking other people's
assets?

By applying themselves and earning what they accumulate. If you are
smart and work hard you win. If you are dumb and sit at home waiting
for the welfare check you lose.

Ahhh... So that's why my brilliant seventh grade science teacher is so
wealthy, and Mike Tyson, who can barely speak english, is so broke!

In fact Mike Tyson is broke. His current net worth is a couple of

thousand
dollars. Tyson didn't sit home waiting for a government check although he
might well end up in that situation. If in fact the science teacher is
brilliant the opportunity to increase earnings is readily available.

But not as a science teacher.

Do we want good science teachers teaching our kids or is it OK to low
ambition morons doing it instead?

Old April 18th 04, 08:51 AM
S Green

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
darwin smith wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Anti-abortion IS pro-life.

Even when there is no exception to save the life of the mother?

Many conservatives have agreed to this exception. However, it isn't all
that clear as very few cases are such that the mother's life is
guaranteed to be at risk. The baby's life IS guaranteed to be at risk
in an abortion. So even with this exception, you are still guaranteeing
a death to save the possibility of a death. I'm still not sure that is
a good moral position to aspire to, but at least it is better than most
abortions which are simply murder for the sake of convenience. That
isn't morally acceptable.

Execution in the name of revenge is not morally acceptable either.
Deliberately killing a person is murder and is a moral crime.

Old April 18th 04, 08:56 AM
S Green

"Doug Carter" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

And the "conservatives" are different, how?

Conservatives object to excessive government spending,
especially when it is used to force social engineering.
Brian Riedl at the Heritage Foundation notes (quoted in part):

and the money being spent in Iraq is NOT social engineering then?

Old April 18th 04, 12:28 PM

Matt Whiting wrote:

I was following the comment that was in an earlier message in this
thread, that I think you wrote, that said "The average G/A guy who flys
a Cessna 182 100 hours a year doesn't begin to pay for the system."

I believe I said that. Let me change that to: the average G/A guy who flys a small IFR-equipped
(with IFR GPS) a 100 hours a year and often utilizies GPS instrument approach procedures at small
airports (of which there are hundreds now, if not thousands) doesn't begin to pay for the system.

Old April 18th 04, 12:37 PM

Judah wrote:

Put it in perspective.

At MOST, the 100-hour per year pilot uses 100 hours of ATC time per year.

The Airline pilot, who flies back and forth across the country twice a
day, uses 100 hours of ATC time in about a week.

Not possible. That would grossly violate the flight-time limitations in Part
121. In any case, the airline pilot is a surrogate for the airline company
and the hundreds of paying customer using those ATC services.

If I remember correctly (as quoted by the AOPA) there are about 250,000
100-hour per year GA planes.

There are equally as many 100-hour per week Airlines.

The airline fleet is probably somewhere around 4,000 aircraft with an average
daily ultilization of 12-14 hours per day.

The only real way to fairly and equitably split the cost of the system is
to charge for the time used. It is probably not really practical to do
that for a variety of reasons. But gas consumption probably delivers a
good measure of time a plane spends in the air, and as such using the
system, it is probably a fairly good place to put the tax to cover that
cost.

You seem to be complaining that an approach controller at BDL whose
salary is mostly being paid by the 350 Airline flights per day he
sequences in should not also provide sequencing a few times a year to
Skylark nearby if they would publish a GPS approach and paint some lines
on the runway.

Hmmmmm...

And perhaps the police who are patrolling my neighborhood shouldn't help
you if you get mugged and are from out of town?

wrote in :

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote:

The average G/A guy who flys a Cessna 182 100 hours a year doesn't
begin to pay for the system.

But he doesn't need much of the system either. He needs a few grass
runways, and a good map and compass! :-)

Matt

Well, although that may be true for you, there are lots of Cessna 182's
that make a lot of instrument approaches at airports with control
towers. Or, even instrument approaches at airports without control
towers; all supported by center equipment, controllers, FAA approach
designers, expensive flight inspections, etc., etc.

Old April 18th 04, 12:39 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message ...

Most of it comes from taxes on airline tickets.

And airlines generate most of the costs.

The average G/A guy who flys a Cessna 182 100 hours a year
doesn't begin to pay for the system.

The average G/A who flies a Cessna 182 100 hours a year doesn't begin to
burden the system.

Not since the advent of GPS approaches. Thousands have been issued for
small airports, and those cost just as much as a GPS approach for Green Bay
Interuniversal Skyport.

Old April 18th 04, 12:52 PM
Joe Young

"SNIP"
I am not only pro choice, I am pro-abortion, I believe there should be a
licensing procedure to ensure prospective parents are up to the task,
physically, emotionally and financially. Until they can prove that, they
should be chemically sterilized.

Should we also perform a mecry killing on all of our seniors when they get
to the point the can no longer take care of themselves. Maybe we should
also put down newborns with any physical, mental or genetic abnormalidies.
Surely they would be more inconvenient at having an healthly, but unwanted
baby. We kill millions of the latter in this country each year...so given
your logic, why don't we just expand the practice a bit. Then we can
ultimately expand the practice a bit more to encompase stupidity...and your
ticket will be up.

It is all called murder you moron.

Old April 18th 04, 12:54 PM
Matt Whiting

Judah wrote:
How, exactly, do the rich get richer without taking other people's assets?

By making the entire pie larger.

Matt

Old April 18th 04, 12:55 PM
Matt Whiting

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Judah" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote in
m:

"Judah" wrote in message

How, exactly, do the rich get richer without taking other people's
assets?

By applying themselves and earning what they accumulate. If you are
smart and work hard you win. If you are dumb and sit at home waiting
for the welfare check you lose.

Ahhh... So that's why my brilliant seventh grade science teacher is so
wealthy, and Mike Tyson, who can barely speak english, is so broke!

In fact Mike Tyson is broke. His current net worth is a couple of thousand
dollars. Tyson didn't sit home waiting for a government check although he
might well end up in that situation. If in fact the science teacher is
brilliant the opportunity to increase earnings is readily available.

And not everyone is driven by wealth creation. A lot of teachers,
scientists, etc., really are driven by other motiviations. I know that
is hard for many to believe, but it is true.

Matt