Pilot's Political Orientation

Old April 17th 04, 06:48 PM
darwin smith

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
t.com...

No, they want to tell you what you can and can't do in your
bedroom, and with your own body. They want to tell you who
you can marry, demand you go to church, but then you catch
them in a motel room doin' what they said not to do.

Conservatives are a bunch of lying liars.

You've bought the propaganda.

The basic difference between conservatives and liberals is their position on
freedom. Conservatives are fer it, liberals are agin' it.

Actually, you've over-simplified the situation. Both conservatives and
liberals are for
freedom - as long as it's to do things they agree with! Both
conservatives and liberals
are against freedom - when it comes to things they disagree with!

Frankly, I'm getting tired of people using the terms "liberal" and
"conservative" as if they
had any meaning. They're simply ways of casting ones self as one of the
"good guys" - while
at the same time belittling one's opponents - used by those too lazy to
argue the merits of
an issue. For a case in point, see the words "You've bought the
propaganda" printed above.

Rich Lemert

Old April 17th 04, 07:04 PM

On 16-Apr-2004, "Tony Cox" wrote:

I'd have expected those who chose Libertarian would be
a substantially higher proportion than the general population and the
Greens substantially lower. Pilots are a self-reliant independent bunch,
keen on driving machines whose gas consumption puts SUV's to
shame.

Taking into account that I can fly from point A to point B in a straight
line (rather than following a highway), my Arrow gets about the same fuel
efficiency (at 65% cruise) as a typical sedan. A Mooney would do even
better.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old April 17th 04, 07:43 PM
C J Campbell

"Chicken Bone" wrote in message
news.com...
Flightinfo.com asked for pilots political orientation.

Results:

Democrat 22.97%
Republican 57.24%
Ind. 19.79%

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthr...threadid=21699

--
Liberalism is Communism one drink at a time. - P.J. O'Rourke

Seems a number of people have forgotten that liberalism has abandoned
liberal principles. Modern liberalism is just monarchy dressed up in new
clothes. It was not so long ago that the people who today call themselves
liberals were called aristocrats and Tories.

Old April 17th 04, 07:45 PM
C J Campbell

"Gig Giacona" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

I suspect the results would have been more illuminating had
they included the Libertarians and Greens as options.

How so? They'd both be included in the 19.79% that voted independent.

Wrong, I'd bet the majority og the 19.79% voted either Dem or Republican

in
the last election.

Most people who claim to be independents --- aren't.

Old April 17th 04, 07:48 PM

Actually, it's another from Winston Churchill (who as I remember
changed political party himself, probably at age 30).

Actually, it's probably not. This from the authoritative Churchill Centre
website http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/...fm?pageid=112:

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a
conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." There is no record
of anyone hearing Churchill say this. Paul Addison of Edinburgh University
makes this comment: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed
to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35! And would he
have talked so disrespectfully of [his wife] Clemmie, who is generally
thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old April 17th 04, 08:08 PM

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote:

Yes, I did that for years when I owned my 182, the the comment said the
"average" G/A guy. The average G/A pilot doesn't fly IFR very often at all.

Matt

If that's the case, why does AOPA continue to push so hard for all those GPS approaches
to small airports?