Old April 23rd 04, 09:40 PM
Stuart King

Default Q

I was enroute from FLO direct to JZI. I was suffering in severe clear with
no turbulence at all.

About 20nm out, ATC gives me "N1234, proceed direct CHS Vortac and hold as
published, EFC xyz".

I reply "roger direct CHS and hold as published, EFC xyz, ....is there a
reason for this ? " sometimes we're casual is SC.

ATC: " Ive got one inbound to JZI on the visual approach, and then i will
let you go in"

me :" roger, how about i go direct JZI and cancel when i see it"

ATC: "N1234 that will be great, proceed as requested"

JZI is uncontrolled.

Does this mean you can't have more than one plane on the visual approach ?

SK

Old April 23rd 04, 09:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stuart King" wrote in message
. com...

I was enroute from FLO direct to JZI. I was suffering in severe
clear with no turbulence at all.

About 20nm out, ATC gives me "N1234, proceed direct CHS
Vortac and hold as published, EFC xyz".

I reply "roger direct CHS and hold as published, EFC xyz, ....is there
a reason for this ? " sometimes we're casual is SC.

ATC: " Ive got one inbound to JZI on the visual approach, and then
i will let you go in"

me :" roger, how about i go direct JZI and cancel when i see it"

ATC: "N1234 that will be great, proceed as requested"

JZI is uncontrolled.

Does this mean you can't have more than one plane on the visual
approach ?

No. Visual separation can be used on visual approaches.

Old April 24th 04, 12:04 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Stuart King" wrote in
. com:

Does this mean you can't have more than one plane on the visual
approach ?

It means you can't have more than one IFR plane on the visual approach.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old April 24th 04, 12:42 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Stan Gosnell wrote in news:Xns94D4B98E0B286stang@
204.52.135.40:

"Stuart King" wrote in
. com:

Does this mean you can't have more than one plane on the visual
approach ?

It means you can't have more than one IFR plane on the visual approach.

So why does the AIM say that you can be cleared for the visual approach if
you have the preceding aircraft in sight?

Old April 24th 04, 01:13 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message

It means you can't have more than one IFR plane on the
visual approach.

A visual approach is an IFR operation.

Old April 24th 04, 01:15 AM
Stan Gosnell

Andrew Sarangan wrote in
. 158:

So why does the AIM say that you can be cleared for the visual
approach if you have the preceding aircraft in sight?

ATC must provide separation between IFR aircraft. This can be done by the
aircraft reporting and agreeing to maintain visual separation, by radar
separation, or by nonradar separation if there is no radar coverage. With
dozens, or even hundreds, of aircraft lined up for landing at a major
airport, getting the other aircraft is sight is often not a problem. At an
uncontrolled airfield in the boonies, it might be, and it appeared to me
that they were too far apart to see each other in the OP, thus center has
to protect the airspace for the aircraft on the approach.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old April 24th 04, 02:55 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message

It means you can't have more than one IFR plane on the
visual approach.

A visual approach is an IFR operation.

An airplane is an aircraft.

Old April 25th 04, 01:45 AM
Stuart King

I guess I also wonder why then can I do a contact approach, but not a visual
approach while maintaining visual seperation.

Although in my example I was not going to be allowed to get close enough to
make visual contact.

SK

Old April 25th 04, 03:56 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stuart King" wrote in message
. com...

I guess I also wonder why then can I do a contact approach, but
not a visual approach while maintaining visual seperation.

You CAN do a visual approach while maintaining visual separation.

Old April 25th 04, 02:14 PM
Stuart King

Yes, but ATC was going to make me hold about 12 miles away, so I would not
be able to make a visual contact, and then see and avoid.

SK

k.net...