NEW Declaration Requirements

Old September 29th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Judy Ruprecht

Default NEW Declaration Requirements

Questions? ask

New Sporting Code rules go into effect on 1 October, and most changes have
been posted online at SSA.org since May. As of 25 September, however, a
finding by FAI’s International Gliding Committee (“IGC”) ALSO means that
as of 1 October 2009 -

• A pre-flight declaration is required for ALL badge and record flights
using an IGC approved Flight Recorder (“FR”). This declaration must
include the glider’s registration or serial number, NOT AN SSA-ASSIGNED
CONTEST NUMBER!!

Solutions for FR users depend on the FR and who’s using it...

• For ANY FR and any flight other than a World Record attempt, SSA
recommends the following for new FR users, an FR used in multiple aircraft
and in any case when pilot, aircraft or task data entered in an FR cannot
be verified for accuracy and changed if necessary before take off:

- The pilot prepares a written declaration ready for an OO’s signature
- On the intended flight date, the OO performs a pre-flight FR
installation check and the FR is turned on; a task may be entered if
desired
- The OO waits a few minutes, then adds his/her signature, date & time to
the written declaration
- No further tinkering with FR task entry, and make sure the FR remains ON
until after landing

• When an electronic declaration is used, the pilot is responsible for
making sure the correct pilot name, flight crew name (if any), aircraft
information and task are entered in the FR before flight. Please note -

- Almost all IGC Approved FRs accept the 6 characters permitted for US
registration numbers; use FR “set up” software to enter the glider’s
registration (“N”) number in the “Glider ID” data field.

- Cambridge model 10, 20 and 25 FRs have a 3-character limit on “Glider
ID” data entry; use FR “set up” software and in the “Glider ID” data
field, enter the last 3 digits of the glider’s serial number, as shown in
US registration records online at
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

- For multiplace records, use FR “set up” software to enter at least first
initial & last name for both pilot and flight crew in the same data field;
use complete names on record forms. FRs approved in the future will
include separate data fields for pilot & flight crew names.

- Using a PDA or after-market software? These may over-write data in FR
memory and/or limit the number of characters transferred to any FR data
field. Test to make sure all required data is correctly transferred to the
FR and contact software vendor(s) for guidance if needed.

Questions? Please contact me at

Judy
Old September 30th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Ruf

On Sep 29, 2:45*pm, Judy Ruprecht wrote:

- * * * Almost all IGC Approved FRs accept the 6 characters permitted for US
registration numbers; use FR “set up” software to enter the glider’s
registration (“N”) number in the “Glider ID” data field.

So if we use the N number in the flight recorder then use that flight
recorder for a US contest we might have trouble with Winscore.
Winscore keys pilot identity off the Contest Number.

Maybe we request a modification and get winscore to read in either
contest ID or N Number and output Contest ID. [would need to add N
number record to the Contestant data].

Without this change it would be a major hassle to have to switch back
and forth between Contest ID and N Number. This could be mutually
exclusive if you wanted to do a declared task during a contest day.

Chris
Old September 30th 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Sep 29, 7:45*pm, Chris Ruf wrote:
On Sep 29, 2:45*pm, Judy Ruprecht wrote:

- * * * Almost all IGC Approved FRs accept the 6 characters permitted for US
registration numbers; use FR “set up” software to enter the glider’s
registration (“N”) number in the “Glider ID” data field.

So if we use the N number in the flight recorder then use that flight
recorder for a US contest we might have trouble with Winscore.
Winscore keys pilot identity off the Contest Number.

Maybe we request a modification and get winscore to read in either
contest ID or N Number and output Contest ID. *[would need to add N
number record to the Contestant data].

Without this change it would be a major hassle to have to switch back
and forth between Contest ID and N Number. *This could be mutually
exclusive if you wanted to do a declared task during a contest day.

Chris

The best fix would be to get the registration # requirement out of the
Sporting Code. It adds NOTHING. It's the OO's job to associate
pilot, flight recorder and sailplane at the start of the flight.
Having N number, serial number or even pilot name in the e-declaration
is meaningless without the OO to testify that things are, in fact
correct, and this done on the application (which the OO must sign).
No logical reason to do it twice.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old September 30th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Sep 29, 6:13*pm, T8 wrote:
[...]

-Evan Ludeman / T8- Hide quoted text -

I'll grant that it seems redundant. I have experience only with
Cambridge CFRs, but it takes just a minute or two to change the glider
reg number and / or pilot name. If you are making your declaration
electronically, you're in there anyhow. I use the Cambridge utility
3UTPC255.EXE from my laptop, or 3UTIQ257.exe from my pda. Unless I'm
mis-reading the Badge Lady's post:

"...and in any case when pilot, aircraft or task data entered in an FR
cannot
be verified for accuracy and changed if necessary before take off:
- The pilot prepares a written declaration ready for an OO’s
signature
- On the intended flight date, the OO performs a pre-flight FR
installation check and the FR is turned on; a task may be entered if
desired
- The OO waits a few minutes, then adds his/her signature, date
& time to
the written declaration
- No further tinkering with FR task entry, and make sure the FR
remains ON
until after landing"

Sounds like a paper declaration is still valid, assuming the above
procedure is followed.
One thing to watch out for if you are making the declaration
electronically.... at least on the Cambridge units, I'm pretty sure
the power has to be cycled after making the delaration in order for
the CFR to log the flight.

I'll be a whole lot more upset if they ever get rid of sectors than
this bit of administrivia will get me. I've proven to myself dozens
of times I can't hit a cylinder @ 16,000 feet without being head down
and locked staring at a pda.
Old September 30th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 23:45 29 September 2009, Chris Ruf wrote:
Without this change it would be a major hassle to have to switch back

and forth between Contest ID and N Number. This could be mutually
exclusive if you wanted to do a declared task during a contest day.

Chris

Another option, Chris, would be to buy another logger! I only fly with
one at a time, but I think I have 9 of them now. All models of old school
Cambridge.

Notice that Judy made the suggestion of using the gliders serial number.
1-26ers catch a break there!

Thanks for the update here, Judy!

Steve
Old September 30th 09, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sep 29, 6:49*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:13*pm, T8 wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you are using a Cambridge 302, there should be no reason
to reboot a 302 after making a declaration. And I would not do that.
Basically set pilot and glider info and make the electronic
declaration and then don't touch anything. And then make and have the
OO sign the paper declaration just in case.

Ditto on the thanks to Judy.

Darryl
Old September 30th 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Oh, and if you turn any cambridge unit off after making the declaration, it
is dumped so you have to start over. As Daryll said, "Declare it, start
it, and leave it alone!"

I suspect most other FRs are the same?

Steve
Old September 30th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_4_]

Whenever a question arises, it is often best to go back to the source
document.

New Sporting Code (valid from October 1 2009, Declaration section:

4.2.1 Declaration content
a. Date of flight.
b. Name of the pilot-in-command, and the flight crew if any (see Annex C,
para 6.3c).
c. Glider type, and its registration or serial number or unique
NAC-assigned contest number.
d. The make, model and serial number of the FR used (as recorded in the
igc file for the flight). For any barograph or GPS position recorder
used, the make, model and serial
number as verified by the OO before flight.

Therefore the Competition number assigned by the SSA is perfectly good,
and most of this thread is irrelevant..............
Old September 30th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Sep 30, 9:15*am, Peter Purdie wrote:
Whenever a question arises, it is often best to go back to the source
document.

New Sporting Code (valid from October 1 2009, Declaration section:

4.2.1 Declaration content
a. Date of flight.
b. Name of the pilot-in-command, and the flight crew if any (see Annex C,
para 6.3c).
c. Glider type, and its registration or serial number or unique
NAC-assigned contest number.
d. The make, model and serial number of the FR used (as recorded in the
igc file for the flight). For any barograph or GPS position recorder
used, the make, model and serial
number as verified by the OO before flight.

Therefore the Competition number assigned by the SSA is perfectly good,
and most of this thread is irrelevant..............

I made that argument, and it was not accepted.

-T8
Old September 30th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Sep 30, 5:30*am, Steve Leonard wrote:
Oh, and if you turn any cambridge unit off after making the declaration, it
is dumped so you have to start over. *As Daryll said, "Declare it, start
it, and leave it alone!"

I suspect most other FRs are the same?

Steve

I know only about the 302 series. Mine holds a declaration until I
change it.
This declaration was set up somtime before 3 May 2009, and stayed the
same (through several flights) until after 20 June 2009. It was
changed after that because I loaned my glider with logger to a club
member to fly his silver duration and distance.

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE030509
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:James D. Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C020808020121010808000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE100509
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:James D. Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C020808020121010808000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE300509
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:James D. Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C020808020121010808000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE200609
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:Jim Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C100609024644090609000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

Electronic declaration - Colibri Ian Cant Soaring 2 September 6th 06 05:55 PM
Last rites declaration of Ioannes Paulus PP. II (Karol Wojtyla) Ioannes Paulus PP. II (Karol Wojtyla) Owning 0 April 4th 05 03:57 PM
Electronic declaration tango4 Soaring 12 June 24th 04 08:34 AM
Electronic declaration (for Volkslogger) stephanevdv Soaring 0 June 23rd 04 11:54 PM
Help needed with task declaration Stewart Kissel Soaring 2 March 23rd 04 05:43 PM