Speed monitored by aircraft????

Old July 20th 03, 04:20 PM
Big John

Dan

He must still have been in second and just warming the engine up.

It's crazy folks.

We've got more 'water bugs' on our highways than are in the swamps of
Louisiana.

Big John

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:47:16 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

Come to Houston and drive on our freeways.

One time driving through Texas, I happened to glance over at the dirt
road paralleling the Interstate, and I saw that a pickup truck was
passing me.

I was going 80, which was VNE in my Volkswagen.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

Old July 20th 03, 04:28 PM
Big John

If I keep 'plonking' the idots, that don't know the proper use of the
Kings English, on the group, I may end up talking to the only idiot
left (me).

We have an excess of 'road rage' here in TX. If it is ported into the
air, I'm glad I stay closer to the ground and 'carry'.

Big John

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:17:16 -0700, "Tom S." wrote:

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Tom S." wrote in message
70 in a 55 is FIFTEEN over, not THIRTY.

True. And completely irrelevant.

You need to pay better attention. Peter was driving 70 mph. The speed
limit was 55. He claims "most every car" was "blowing by" him. Since he
wasn't specific about the actual speed at which that traffic was passing
him, I made a guess that that traffic was exceeding his speed by as much

as
he was exceeding the speed limit.

He's doing 15 mph over the speed limit. The other traffic is 15 mph

faster
than him. 15 plus 15 is 30.

Do the math...and the original post was about someone doing 80 in a

35...45
over the limit.

I did the math. It's not my fault you can't keep up. In any case, I

didn't
reply to the original post, I replied to Peter's.

Oh, I can keep up, can you maintain context?

(ARE ALL POILOTS THIS POMPOUS AND OVERBEARING? )

My point is that the 80 in a 35 is a very rare exception and this is not
what aircraft monitoring is targeting.

I don't really care what your point was. I wasn't replying to your post.

Then don't answer this one you ****ing cocksucker.

Old July 20th 03, 05:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Duniho wrote:

The standard for traffic infractions is very different than that for
criminal charges.

As you point out, each State handles that differently. New Jersey handles it
by simply classifying traffic violations as violations of regulations, not
crimes. That basically removes some of your appeal rights and the right to
a jury trial. In exchange, the State loses the right to require you to post
bail, and they cannot sentence you to serve time for these offenses.

In Tennessee, however, they are crimes, and you do have the same set of rights
that you would have for, say, a charge of criminal trespass. That means that
you do have a right to be confronted by your accuser, and as late as the 70s,
traffic officers spent an hour or more every day in court. As far as I know,
this has not changed. You also have the right to a jury trial, but you'd be a
fool to take a simple speeding ticket that far; the legal expenses would be
over $1,000 to argue a case in the Circuit court. You might want to fight one
of the more serious violations (like DWI), however.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

Old July 20th 03, 05:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Big John wrote:

We have an excess of 'road rage' here in TX.

Either it's not restricted to Texas, or you guys have been exporting it. Here
in Jersey, the State has set up a special 2-digit cell phone hot-line to
report these people. Right-to-carry is rare here - you pretty much have to
be in either government or the mafia (and some people claim they're the same
thing).

Old July 20th 03, 07:40 PM
Peter Duniho

"Tom S." wrote in message
(ARE ALL POILOTS THIS POMPOUS AND OVERBEARING? )

What's a "poilot"?

Old July 21st 03, 01:00 AM
Newps

And just what could you have been worried about?

john smith wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

Margy and I
also had a nice chat with the Ohio State Police plane (they hang out on 122.75).
They patrol around looking for trouble (accidents, etc... ) on the highway, but
I suspect they'd tag a flagrant speeder given the chance. I think he said he
had the capability.

Our chapter had a flyout years ago, to one of the local $100 hamburger
sites. We were playing follow the leader down low. The last guy in line
happened to look back and there was an Ohio Highway Patrol plane
bringing up the rear. We all thought we were dead meat when the Smokie
followed us into the pattern, landed with us and followed us into the
restaurant. Fortunately, he walked past us without saying a word and sat
at the lunch counter. The only thing we could figure was he was bored
and was on his way to lunch anyway, so he joined in.

Old July 21st 03, 02:16 PM
Steve House

It's a guy who fly's airplanes in Polynesia!

Old July 21st 03, 03:43 PM
Jack McAdams

Not a real problem in NJ. The State Police choppers are all tied up
either running EMS calls (a good thing) or ferrying Gov. McGreevy to
weddings or political fundraisers (value evaluation is left to the
reader!).

Jack
Sundowner - N6363U

(Jim Buckridge) wrote in message . com...
I saw one of these signs along I-78 in NJ. Now, I find it
***REALLY*** hard to believe that this particular sign is true. The
highway is congested and with radar guns and all, monitoring speed by
aircraft (copter maybe?) seems expensive and unnecessary.

I know I've seen these signs elsewhere - are there still places where
speed is monitored by aircraft?

Old July 21st 03, 06:00 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Well jeez, think of the mischief she would create if she were at the
statehouse all day!

om...