Time Zones in FS2002....

Old July 5th 03, 04:59 AM
Dr. Speedbyrd:>

Default Time Zones in FS2002....

Hi,

Is there any fix to the time zone issue in FS2002? It's not very good at recognizing when you
change time zones.

Thanks,
Old July 5th 03, 05:09 AM
Brett Holcomb

Check past posts here as someone had a series of fixes but I can't remember
who he was.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt
Remove R777 to email
Old July 5th 03, 07:15 PM
Mark Cherry

Hi,

Is there any fix to the time zone issue in FS2002? It's not very
good at recognizing when you change time zones.

Thanks,

Now that is depressing. This has ben a bug in FS as far back as 5.1, IIRC. I'm
still using FS98 which is, itself, far from immune from this problem.

I'm considering upgrading (both PC h/w & the sim, possibly to FS CoF) and this
leaves me wondering whether this is one of those relatively minor, yet annoying
glitches which should have been dead easy to fix but got forgotten about when
they were busy adding amazing improvements to the photorealism in the latest
version....

--
regards,

Mark

Old July 6th 03, 03:05 AM
Travis Grant

Download a program called FS Real Time from flightsim.com or somewhere
similar, this program automatically updates when u cross into a new timezone
and its handy if u do alot of heavy jet flying.

"Dr. Speedbyrd:" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:15:59 +0100, "Mark Cherry"

wrote:

Hi,

Is there any fix to the time zone issue in FS2002? It's not very
good at recognizing when you change time zones.

Thanks,

Now that is depressing. This has ben a bug in FS as far back as 5.1,

IIRC. I'm
still using FS98 which is, itself, far from immune from this problem.

I'm considering upgrading (both PC h/w & the sim, possibly to FS CoF) and

this
leaves me wondering whether this is one of those relatively minor, yet

annoying
glitches which should have been dead easy to fix but got forgotten about

when
they were busy adding amazing improvements to the photorealism in the

latest
version....

the download of 'Real Time' fixes the time zone issue

Old July 6th 03, 06:54 AM
Dr. Speedbyrd:>

Yes, I got it and you're right. The only question I have is, do you need to keep FS RealTime
running live in the background for the time zone feature to work, or was that added during the
installation process. I don't have need to change the offsets and all that. I just wanted the
time to change as it does in the real world.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:05:40 +1000, "Travis Grant" wrote:

Download a program called FS Real Time from flightsim.com or somewhere
similar, this program automatically updates when u cross into a new timezone
and its handy if u do alot of heavy jet flying.

.. .

Old July 6th 03, 01:36 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Dr. Speedbyrd:
said:

Yes, I got it and you're right. The only question I have is, do you need to keep FS RealTime
running live in the background for the time zone feature to work, or was that added during the
installation process. I don't have need to change the offsets and all that. I just wanted the
time to change as it does in the real world.

I think the usual way is to keep it running, but it does do some
initialisation fixing up on startup of FS -- it complains if FS is
already running when you start Real Time (you need to start RT first).

This is quite well documented in the package once installed -- it's
under 3MB, so doesn't take long to download.

You'll need Peter Dowson's FSUIPC too I think. Both available from
avsim.com.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Old July 6th 03, 02:03 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Neil Trotter
said:

I think the usual way is to keep it running, but it does do some
initialisation fixing up on startup of FS -- it complains if FS is
already running when you start Real Time (you need to start RT first).

I meant to say here that you can disconnect it after starting FS, and I
I *think* the time zones will remain fixed.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Old July 10th 03, 10:55 PM
Mark Cherry

Dr Speedbyrd wrote

the download of 'Real Time' fixes the time zone issue

Yes, I'd heard there was a downloadable fix but the person who told me said it
was something like 2Mb!!
Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Needless to say, I decided to just put up with the problem for the time being.
The most glaringly obvious manifestation of this bug I've experienced to date
was Anchorage to London, a 10hr flight (using accel time), departing in daylight
at Anchorage, which should have arrived at dawn, or late morning in the UK. FS98
decided it was 1am. local time, by the time I landed. The Zulu_arrival minus
zulu_departure time bore no relation to the elapsed flight time.

Part of the route was above 80șN. It's possible that timezone.bgl does not
extend this far and, if you think about it, timezones are increasingly
meaningless when closer to the pole.

AFAIC, the essence of the bug is that FS is altering the zulu tme AS WELL AS the
local time, when you cross into a new timezone.

--
regards,

Mark