SSA crisis effect on Feb convention?

Old September 18th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_5_]

Default SSA crisis effect on Feb convention?

Anybody have a clue what effect the SSA tax/financial crisis may have on the
February Memphis convention.

Old September 18th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim wrote:
Anybody have a clue what effect the SSA tax/financial crisis may have on the
February Memphis convention.

Probably be some real interesting bar fights in the evenings.

MM

Old September 18th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Jim wrote:
Anybody have a clue what effect the SSA tax/financial crisis may have on the
February Memphis convention.

More interest in the General Membership Meeting?

Old September 18th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Jim wrote:
Anybody have a clue what effect the SSA tax/financial crisis may have on the
February Memphis convention.

More interest in the General Membership Meeting?

More interesting than the RAS fights?

Old September 18th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug

Couldn't have picked a better site than Memphis. You can cry in your beer
on Beale St. while listening to the blues and thinking about the SSA's woes.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 19th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JSB

What is the SSA's role in in setting up an annual convention, other than
approving the host and location?

Does it in anyway fund any part of it in a meanful way. If so...kiss that
goodbye.

February Memphis convention.

Old September 20th 06, 04:58 AM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB
What is the SSA's role in in setting up an annual convention, other than
approving the host and location?

Does it in anyway fund any part of it in a meanful way. If so...kiss that
goodbye.

February Memphis convention.
Speaking as member of the host club but **not** as any official spokesperson, I can relate the following. I reiterate, these are my personal opinions and do not represent the Society or the host club:

At our last monthly club Board meeting I specifically asked our President if our club was in any way directly or contingently liable for the costs of the convention. The answer from both our President and Treasurer was, without qualification, no. So, to your question, "Does it in anyway fund any part of it in a meanful [sic] way[?]", the answer is: yes, entirely.

The follow up to that answer at our Board meeting was that we had heard nothing at all from the SSA that the plans for the convention had changed or were contemplated to change. The convention is a money making venture for the Society, not a cost. I see no reason that cancelling the convention would benefit the Society, and many reasons - political as well as financial - that cancelling it would hurt all of us.

I encourage all of you to join us in Memphis next year for the usual convention festivities as well as to ask for and to hear first-hand explanations of the changes made and to be made in response to the failure of internal controls (pardon the accounting jargon, but I am a non-profit CFO) of our national organization. I know that I have some pointed questions for our volunteer Board members. I encourage you to bring yours. Not only is it in your own best interests to have your say and to hear answers first hand, but your attendance will directly benefit the Society.

We're still planning to have a big time here at the convention and hope that many of you will drive out from under the Memphis class B airspace to visit our beautiful, new private gliderport in eastern Arkansas (4AR5) and fly with us.

V7
http://www.memphis-soaring.org/

Last edited by Vic7 : September 20th 06 at 05:07 AM.
Old September 21st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Bummer that you can't offer us any winch launching demos. That would have
been a big hit.

Mike Schumann

-

--
Vic7

Old September 22nd 06, 07:08 PM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schumann
Bummer that you can't offer us any winch launching demos. That would have
been a big hit.

Mike Schumann

Mike, you don't know how sorry I am that we can't offer winch launches. I only managed a couple of dozen myself before we sold the winch to the folks in Philly. I was great fun while it lasted, though.

V7