Another YouTube video

Old August 10th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shawn

Default Another YouTube video

Mitch wrote:
This reminds me of the movies they showed in High School telling us to
stay off of drugs. All it's missing is the "Fwap, fwap, fwap" of the
reel-to-reel projector spooling out at the end.

LOL. Knew it reminded me of something :-)

Shawn
Old August 11th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"alex8735" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is a very well done promotional video.

I found the video quite boring. It may appeal to older generations but
on younger viewers it won't survive the first 30 seconds. A succesfull
promo video has to be short, exciting an convey emotions.

Define "older" - I found it kind of slow myself, and I'm old enough that the
AARP is convinced that I should be a member...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 11th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I appreciate the effort that people put into making and encourage the
SSA and folks to keep trying. However I also agree the video just
personally did not excite me and I found two parts bordeline annoying

One is the asking of the Question "What is Soaring", it is just
annoying - if the viewer has no clue please tell them instead of
torturing them with a rhetorical question. Why not just tell them
then what soaring means and say it is an art and science. Actually if
you need a detailed voice over all mentioning that soaring means
staying aloft using air currents and that allows long cross country
flights... might be useful since many people with no exposure to
soaring think all we can do is sled rides (and wouldn't that get
boring quick). Generally I'd not rely on a voice over and stick with
the visuals and a call to action at the end. Putting much in a voice
over and it probably is hard to avoid it sounding like those high
school education films...

I also think the family angle was greatly oversold. I'm not sure why
that was even emphasized. I'd just have not gone there. While some
families do participate in soaring for the bulk of people I fly with
it is really more a solo than a family experience.

Darryl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-nzcBKavHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjUIFgSZRU

or the sex sells approach:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-ZIILtI2I

Old August 12th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn

At 12:00 10 August 2007, Alex8735 wrote:

or the sex sells approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-ZIILtI2I

We have something to learn from the Argentinians.

9B

Old August 13th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug

Watching the SSA video was like watching videos of 50ish year old women
holding open canopies on 50ish SGS 2-33's for their 50ish husbands. Not
very exciting and certainly not good for promotion with younger people.

My 21 year old sons favorite video for excitement/promotion is the British
5-8 minute one of flying very close to ridges, low passes, aerobatics and
flying in very close formations. Unfortunately, I can't find the link right
now. The video is something along the lines of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjUIFgSZRU posted earlier and may have been
a long version of this video.

It got his attention whereas the SSA one kept his attention .............
for.............twenty...........seconds. Snore.

Doug

Old August 13th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Agreed. Soaring shouldn't be presented as something for the porch swing and
croquet set, which would be, given the current unfortunate soaring
demographics, 'preaching to the choir'. We should make our pitch to the
NEXT generation of pilots - those in their 20's who don't yet know they want
to be glider pilots.

Although many will disagree, soaring is, in fact, an extreme adventure sport
in the mold of mountain climbing and skiing. We need to pitch it as such.

And yes, we can learn something from the Argentines.

Bill Daniels

. ..

Old August 13th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Doug wrote:
My 21 year old sons favorite video for excitement/promotion is the British
5-8 minute one of flying very close to ridges, low passes, aerobatics and
flying in very close formations. Unfortunately, I can't find the link right
now.

Is this the link? http://www.smokinvid.co.uk/

If so, its sold out with apparently no plans to make more copies, though
the website hints that they may be open to persuasion.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 13th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

I believe the British videos lead to/were the result of the "Smokin"
films. I think there's been several variations on those too, the
latest being http://www.liftedfilms.com/ . (I note the description on
the World Juniors film says "the idea was never used..." I wonder why
not?)

Mind you, there's actually good reasons for appealing to the older
demographic, rather than the younger. They tend to have plenty of
money and, post kids, plenty of time. A person who takes up gliding at
50 can be an active member for 20 years or more. Young people tend to
be the opposite - no money, no time. I personally think "targetting" a
particular demographic is a waste of time - make the sport accessible,
and you'll get people of all types rolling up.

Dan

Old August 13th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Dan G" wrote in message
ups.com...
I believe the British videos lead to/were the result of the "Smokin"
films. I think there's been several variations on those too, the
latest being http://www.liftedfilms.com/ . (I note the description on
the World Juniors film says "the idea was never used..." I wonder why
not?)

Mind you, there's actually good reasons for appealing to the older
demographic, rather than the younger. They tend to have plenty of
money and, post kids, plenty of time. A person who takes up gliding at
50 can be an active member for 20 years or more. Young people tend to
be the opposite - no money, no time. I personally think "targetting" a
particular demographic is a waste of time - make the sport accessible,
and you'll get people of all types rolling up.

Dan

Dan, I don't agree. Young people can't be pigeonholed that easily. Some
are poor and have little time but others are in a position to enjoy our
sport. We only need as many as we have gliders and instructors for.

Kids 'make time' for whatever they want to do. Obviously more than a few
have both time and money. Take a look at other extreme outdoor sports and
the marketing. They all pitch expensive sports to young people. They
wouldn't do this if it didn't work.

I think the real problem with youth recruiting is that we just drive them
away with videos like this unfortunate SSA release.

Bill Daniels