FAA Medical Question

Old July 14th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
T182T

Default FAA Medical Question

I have always had a First-Class medical, not because my aviation
activity (PPL/IR) requires it, but mostly in case I don’t get in to see
the doctor in time, so it derates to a second class instead of leaving
me grounded. That happened this year for the first time, because my
doctor told me she is retiring, so I need to find someone else.

I have moderate arterial hypertension (about 160/110 uncontrolled)
which is well controlled (130/85) with a calcium channel blocker
(verapamil, 360 mg/d). This condition is unchanged throughout all the
years I have been flying. Also, because I am over 40 and I always get a
first-class medical, it means I have an EKG every year, and these have
always been perfectly normal.

My problem is that my AME has always considered this well-controlled
condition to be not serious enough to bother with the FAA procedures,
and not worth declaring. So all these years I have declared that I am
not taking any medication, when this is not in fact true. My question
is, now that I have to change AME, is this the time to "come clean" with
the FAA and declare this condition? I have never lied to the medical
examiner, she is the one who suggested I not declare it, stating that I
do not have a serious medical condition or a higher chance that the
average person to have a health-related incident when flying. If I
don’t say this to the new AME then it becomes me who is not telling the
truth, and I know the FAA takes a dim view of this. On the other hand,
if I come forward with it then it becomes obvious there has been a
"white lie" for many years. I am also concerned for the AME. Even if she
is now retired, I’m concerned another doctor could find fault with her
method, even though she has always been very thorough, and my exams have
rarely lasted less than 2 hours with all the tests and questionnaires.

Question for those who really know - What’s the best thing for me to do?

Old July 14th 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gil hamilton

Question for those who really know - What’s the best thing for me to do?

Yikes! I am not an attorney so I may not really know.... But, I would
contact AOPA and get their take. IMHO even tho the AME advised you to
not report the condition, it is YOUR signature on the form and thus
you are responsible for misrepresentation on the FAA form. A real no-
no.

BTW I take 240 mg verapamil and have to get an ECG every 2 years to
get a 3rd class medical.

Regards,
Jerry

Old July 14th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

T182T wrote:
[...]

Well, since anything over 155 is disqualifying and all the tests and
treatments to keep it under 155 have to be reported, somebody, likely you,
is in trouble.

If not an AOPA member, join immediately and sign up for the Legal Services
Plan (which you are likely going to need) and pose your question to the
AOPA.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 14th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

T182T writes:

My problem is that my AME has always considered this well-controlled
condition to be not serious enough to bother with the FAA procedures,
and not worth declaring. So all these years I have declared that I am
not taking any medication, when this is not in fact true.

It's your signature, so you are the one making a fraudulent declaration, which
is not good (for you).

My question is, now that I have to change AME, is this the time to
"come clean" with the FAA and declare this condition?

You need to talk to a lawyer, not an AME. This sounds like a very delicate
situation that will backfire seriously on you if you don't handle it with the
utmost care.

I have never lied to the medical examiner, she is the one who suggested
I not declare it, stating that I do not have a serious medical condition
or a higher chance that the average person to have a health-related
incident when flying.

In practical terms, she is right, but legally, she's wrong. You have to
declare it, and so does she. Unfortunately the ultimate responsibility is
yours, because you're supposed to know that you must declare everything, and
it isn't necessary to be a doctor to know this and do this.

The AME might be in the wrong, too (and now everyone to whom she has given a
medical is going to be suspect), but you need to worry about yourself.

If I don’t say this to the new AME then it becomes me who is not telling the
truth, and I know the FAA takes a dim view of this.

You've already failed to declare it, which the FAA views very dimly as well.

Question for those who really know - What’s the best thing for me to do?

Find a lawyer who is an expert in aviation law and follow his advice. Doctors
are not lawyers, so they cannot help you here, as this is a legal issue, not a
medical issue.
Old July 14th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 14, 1:23 pm, T182T wrote:

Question for those who really know - What’s the best thing for me to do?

As others indicated, contact AOPA for an authoritive answer.

My UNauthoritive answer AFTER I looked at the AOPA online medical
form.

The question reads:

17a. Do You Currently Use Any Medication (Prescription or
NonPrescription)?

No Yes If yes, in the space below, list medications used and
check appropriate box indicating whether or not it was previously
reported.

18. Medical History

Down to H under 18

18. Medical History

HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU
PRESENTLY HAVE any of the following? In the EXPLANATIONS box, you may
note "PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE" only if the explanation of the
condition was reported on a previous application for an airman medical
certificate and there has been no change in your condition. See
Instructions Page.

h. Yes No High or low blood pressure

Just answer yes and move on putting in the explanation (H) high blood
pressure. Nothing is asked about a start date of your treatment. My
high BP was discovered during an exam and it was no big deal once I
complied with what the FAA needed. (BP was 220 / 170). I saw a
cardiologist, had a nuclear stress test and moved on once my BP came
down to human levels with Diovan. There is nothing to say your
condition wasn't discovered between your last medical and your current
one or any questions with regards to onset..

AGAIN as others indicated, check with AOPA for an authoritive answer
and consider my post an opinion of one.
Old July 14th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

T182T wrote

I have always had a First-Class medical, not because my aviation
activity (PPL/IR) requires it, but mostly in case I don’t get in to see
the doctor in time, so it derates to a second class instead of leaving
me grounded.

Waste of both time and money. For Private Pilot operations, 1st, 2nd, and
3rd class medical certificates all have exactly the same total valid time.

Bob Moore ATP/CFI (with a 3rd class medical)
Old July 15th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
betwys1

On 7/14/2010 1:23 PM, T182T wrote:
[...]

You know that there is only one answer that will do.
And you know that the FAA can handle single declared medicines to
control blood pressure, when they are declared.

Brian W
Old July 16th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering[_2_]

On 14 Jul 2010 22:01:53 GMT, Bob Moore
wrote:

Waste of both time and money. For Private Pilot operations, 1st, 2nd, and
3rd class medical certificates all have exactly the same total valid time.

Yeah, but ...

When I lived down south, I had an AME with license #17. He was 78
when I first met him and 88 when he turned his shingle around. His
teen-aged daughter worked in the office. You do the math. If you
couldn't bend over and touch your toes, he'd slam both palms face down
on the floor and say, "like THAT". Marvelous man.

His advice (since a 1st class and a 3rd class were the same price !!)
was to go for the first class on the off chance that some yoyo will
involve you in an accident and you will be able to prove that you were
in 1st class shape not too many months ago.

Just for my 8% of two bits.

Jim

Question on the medical... Richard Piloting 25 March 29th 06 04:41 PM
Yet another medical question Rachel Piloting 13 February 5th 06 10:44 PM
Medical question Michael Piloting 10 December 7th 05 06:58 PM
FAA medical question G. Sylvester Piloting 17 March 12th 05 11:13 AM
Question Medical Captain Wubba Piloting 5 June 11th 04 05:12 AM