Most numerous sailplane type and model in the world?

Old February 4th 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Most numerous sailplane type and model in the world?

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead
Old February 4th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

On Feb 3, 9:42*pm, " wrote:
Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

Non-military the Grunau Baby is the most build, with maybe over 5000
build. The LET L-13 Blanik should be around 2700, the most build glass
ship should be the LS 4 with some 1050 build, the most build glider
still in production must be the Schempp-Hirth Discus with supposedly
over 850 build to date. The Discus CS, identical to the Discus B, is
still in production for SH in the Czech Republik.

Markus Graeber
Old February 4th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On Feb 3, 8:42*pm, " wrote:
Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

A quick look at the N# registry (I know its an imperfect snapshot at
times) shows:

ASW-20 (all models) @135
ASW-27/29 @117
Std Libelle @108
Ventus @95
Discus @90
Ventus 2 @80
Std Citrrus @80

I was a bit shocked at the low numbers of some types of gliders here
in the U.S.

EY
Old February 4th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 14:18 04 February 2011, Tim wrote:
Bill Snead

A quick look at the N# registry (I know its an imperfect snapshot at
times) shows:

ASW-20 (all models) @135
ASW-27/29 @117
Std Libelle @108
Ventus @95
Discus @90
Ventus 2 @80
Std Citrrus @80

I was a bit shocked at the low numbers of some types of gliders here
in the U.S.

C'mon, guys, you're overlooking the obvious. From the same source, all
models of the 1-26:

521

Of course, it's a snailplane, not a sailplane, but still . . .

Jim Beckman

Old February 4th 11, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On Feb 4, 9:10*am, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 14:18 04 February 2011, Tim wrote:

Bill Snead

A quick look at the N# registry (I know its an imperfect snapshot at
times) shows:

ASW-20 (all models) @135
ASW-27/29 @117
Std Libelle @108
Ventus @95
Discus @90
Ventus 2 @80
Std Citrrus @80

I was a bit shocked at the low numbers of some types of gliders here
in the U.S.

C'mon, guys, you're overlooking the obvious. *From the same source, all
models of the 1-26:

521

Of course, it's a snailplane, not a sailplane, but still . . .

Jim Beckman

Mea Culpa. I LOVE the 1-26 as a sailplane. However, I made a biased
assumption...
Tim EY
Old February 4th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Feb 4, 10:03*am, Terry Walsh wrote:
At 02:42 04 February 2011, wrote:

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

I don't know about other types but according to Wikapedia Grob produced a
total of 1791 G102 Astirs (Thats all variants CS, 77, Club, II and III

Terry Walsh

Also don't forget the 1400 or so Ka-6s from Schleicher

Peter
Old February 5th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 4, 1:03*pm, vontresc wrote:
On Feb 4, 10:03*am, Terry Walsh wrote:

At 02:42 04 February 2011, wrote:

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

I don't know about other types but according to Wikapedia Grob produced a
total of 1791 G102 Astirs (Thats all variants CS, 77, Club, II and III

Terry Walsh

Also don't forget the 1400 or so Ka-6s from Schleicher

Peter

In my travels, I have heard many people comment that the LS-4 should
have been world single design class. From the above it appears that
the Discus B - CS might be a good choice now. What do you think?

Bill Snead
Old February 5th 11, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

On Feb 4, 8:17*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 4, 1:03*pm, vontresc wrote:

On Feb 4, 10:03*am, Terry Walsh wrote:

At 02:42 04 February 2011, wrote:

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

I don't know about other types but according to Wikapedia Grob produced a
total of 1791 G102 Astirs (Thats all variants CS, 77, Club, II and III

Terry Walsh

Also don't forget the 1400 or so Ka-6s from Schleicher

Peter

In my travels, I have heard many people comment that the LS-4 should
have been world single design class. *From the above it appears that
the Discus B - CS might be a good choice now. What do you think?

Bill Snead

If you had to pick one that is still in production it would probably
be the one, easy to fly too, used in quite a few clubs in Europe as a
solo glider after training on 2 place glass. The LS-4 is probably even
more popular with Euro clubs & schools as the next step up after going
solo, both are great gliders for general club use and would have made
excellent and very attractive one class ships if you ask me... Nice
handling, 40.5:1 (43:1 for the Discus), good performance at speed,
what else do you want? But is was not to be...

Markus Graeber
Old February 5th 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

On Feb 3, 10:19*pm, Markus Graeber wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:42*pm, " wrote:

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

Non-military the Grunau Baby is the most build, with maybe over 5000
build. The LET L-13 Blanik should be around 2700, the most build glass
ship should be the LS 4 with some 1050 build, the most build glider
still in production must be the Schempp-Hirth Discus with supposedly
over 850 build to date. The Discus CS, identical to the Discus B, is
still in production for SH in the Czech Republik.

Markus Graeber

SZD 48 Jantar St..........with 677 build