Most numerous sailplane type and model in the world?

Old February 5th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

Default Most numerous sailplane type and model in the world?

On Feb 4, 8:17*pm, " wrote:

In my travels, I have heard many people comment that the LS-4 should
have been world single design class. *From the above it appears that
the Discus B - CS might be a good choice now. What do you think?

Bill Snead

I would still go with the LS4 only because more folks would fit in it
than in the Discus. Roomier.

WD
Old February 5th 11, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Pocock[_2_]

In the two seaters it must be the ASK13 with 700+.
After Schleicher ceased production, the sailplane has been license-built
by Jubi GmbH of Oerlinghausen, Germany. ATC .

Old February 5th 11, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:55:40 -0800, RRK wrote:

On Feb 3, 10:19Â*pm, Markus Graeber wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:42Â*pm, " wrote:

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

Non-military the Grunau Baby is the most build, with maybe over 5000
build. The LET L-13 Blanik should be around 2700, the most build glass
ship should be the LS 4 with some 1050 build, the most build glider
still in production must be the Schempp-Hirth Discus with supposedly
over 850 build to date. The Discus CS, identical to the Discus B, is
still in production for SH in the Czech Republik.

Markus Graeber

SZD 48 Jantar St..........with 677 build

Around 1000 ASW-20s were built, including B and C models.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 5th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 3, 10:19*pm, Markus Graeber wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:42*pm, " wrote:

Does anyone know what active type, make and model of sailplane is the
most numerous in the world and in the USA?

Bill Snead

Non-military the Grunau Baby is the most build, with maybe over 5000
build. The LET L-13 Blanik should be around 2700, the most build glass
ship should be the LS 4 with some 1050 build, the most build glider
still in production must be the Schempp-Hirth Discus with supposedly
over 850 build to date. The Discus CS, identical to the Discus B, is
still in production for SH in the Czech Republik.

Markus Graeber

SZD 48 Jantar St..........with 677 build

Around 1000 ASW-20s were built, including B and C models.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |- Hide quoted text -

Would it be possible that the owners of a numerous sailplane design
could move ahead one design racing without involvement of current
establishment (IGC, FAI, SSA, ect}. Could the owners form an
assoication and sponsor competitons in interesting locations (central
an western USA, Argentina, Australia, Slovakia) ?

Bill Snead
Old February 5th 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On Feb 3, 9:42*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Bill:

I've always thought this was a good idea to follow when discussing one
design racing. Maybe one could even pit the various manufacturers
against each other to be named the one design and in return they would
sponsor a racing series (either nationally or internationally). Tim EY
Old February 5th 11, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 06:54:56 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Would it be possible that the owners of a numerous sailplane design
could move ahead one design racing without involvement of current
establishment (IGC, FAI, SSA, ect}. Could the owners form an
assoication and sponsor competitons in interesting locations (central
an western USA, Argentina, Australia, Slovakia) ?

Sure - the French have an ASK-13 competition, and the Germans had Duo
Discus competitions for at least 15 years...

Andreas
Old February 6th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jamie Shore

I would certainly participate in one design racing if the Discus or
the LS-4 was the design.

Jamie Shore

Old February 6th 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

On Feb 5, 8:36*pm, Jamie Shore wrote:
I would certainly participate in one design racing if the Discus or
the LS-4 was the design.

Jamie Shore

I would as well.

WD
Old February 6th 11, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Feb 5, 7:17*pm, Whiskey Delta wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:36*pm, Jamie Shore wrote:

I would certainly participate in one design racing if the Discus or
the LS-4 was the design.

Jamie Shore

I would as well.

WD

I think we tried to talk the IGC into using the LS-4 as the single
glider for the World Class. You can see how well that worked out;
there are nearly as many PW-5's around as LS-4's, Not! Logic is not
something that happens at IGC meetings, the herd mentality somehow
takes over and we now have seven classes. Next month I am sure they
will want to add 14M and 17M classes for those that have been left out
of the 13.5M and 20M classes. Yes, the LS-4 could have been the World
Class and there would have been no need for the Club class.
Old February 6th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/5/2011 6:41 PM, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Feb 5, 7:17 pm, Whiskey wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:36 pm, Jamie wrote:

I would certainly participate in one design racing if the Discus or
the LS-4 was the design.

Jamie Shore

I would as well.

WD

I think we tried to talk the IGC into using the LS-4 as the single
glider for the World Class. You can see how well that worked out;
there are nearly as many PW-5's around as LS-4's, Not! Logic is not
something that happens at IGC meetings, the herd mentality somehow
takes over and we now have seven classes. Next month I am sure they
will want to add 14M and 17M classes for those that have been left out
of the 13.5M and 20M classes. Yes, the LS-4 could have been the World
Class and there would have been no need for the Club class.

Personally, I think a Club Class centered on the LS4 makes far more
sense than a World Class based on the LS4. There were many more the
gliders in the Club Class already existence than LS4's and they would be
much cheaper than a new LS4.

My fading recollection from being an SSA Director during the World Class
development is no way did the manufacturer want to let go of the still
very valuable LS4 design so that other companies could build it. I'm
sure they would have been delighted to be the only manufacturer for the
World Class, but the other companies would have been hugely upset.

email me)