Need Input On Rudder Lock

Old April 18th 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Need Input On Rudder Lock

I'm trying to build an inexpensive yet effective rudder lock for an
assembled GROB 103 or TWIN ASTIR. Have tried two or three approaches
but not happy with any thus far. Needs to be rugged, lightweight, and
user friendly (think club environment). Any ideas?

Mike
Old April 18th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Consider fabricating an inside-the-cockpit, front seat only -- lock
or damper.
Something you would see getting in.
Rear cockpit control locks WILL be overlooked.
Bungee cords work well to dampen the movement and might fold up
nicely.
Decorate with red ribbons.
Add control lock item(s) to pre-flight and post-flight checklists.

(Google "Checklist Boeing B-17" for a reason to create / use pre-
flight checklists.)

Old April 18th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Apr 18, 2:11*pm, wrote:
I'm trying to build an inexpensive yet effective rudder lock for an
assembled GROB 103 or TWIN ASTIR. Have tried two or three approaches
but not happy with any thus far. Needs to be rugged, lightweight, and
user friendly (think club environment). Any ideas?

Mike

Heavy gauge PVC pipe with elbows and PVC glue and covered with water
pipe insulator. Tie two pipes together with a bit of rope at the back
through two holes. $20?
Old April 18th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Apr 18, 3:26*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:

Heavy gauge PVC pipe with elbows and PVC glue and covered with water
pipe insulator. *Tie two pipes together with a bit of rope at the back
through two holes. *$20?

That would be my preference. It's light and cheap, and is pretty sure
to do the job at hand. Remember that you're not trying to completely
immobilize the rudder, you're just trying to prevent it from hammering
against its stops.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old April 18th 11, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Apr 18, 6:32*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Apr 18, 3:26*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:

Heavy gauge PVC pipe with elbows and PVC glue and covered with water
pipe insulator. *Tie two pipes together with a bit of rope at the back
through two holes. *$20?

That would be my preference. It's light and cheap, and is pretty sure
to do the job at hand. Remember that you're not trying to completely
immobilize the rudder, you're just trying to prevent it from hammering
against its stops.

Thanks, Bob K.

It's exactly what we use on our G103. Only mod is that we use a
hitch pin at the trailing edge rather than rope.
Old April 19th 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Apr 18, 3:07*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Consider fabricating an inside-the-cockpit, front seat only -- *lock
or damper.
Something you would see getting in.
Rear cockpit control locks WILL be overlooked.
Bungee cords work well to dampen the movement and might fold up
nicely.
Decorate with red ribbons.
Add control lock item(s) to pre-flight and post-flight checklists.

(Google "Checklist Boeing B-17" for a reason to create / use pre-
flight checklists.)

If memory serves me, I believe I hooked a bungee from one rear rudder
pedal to fuselage structure so that the bungee held the rudder against
one stop. Won't work from the front cockpit because those pedals are
cable driven, but the rear is hooked directly to a pushrod. For sure,
attach a long red streamer that hangs over the front seat.
JJ

Thanks for your input on videos [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 11 09:59 AM
M-Nav Gps input ? Mark Courtney Piloting 0 January 18th 11 06:25 PM
FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs your input Ron Lee[_2_] Piloting 24 November 27th 07 04:06 AM
GTX 327 serial input? weebee Owning 1 December 19th 05 01:04 AM
Aux. Audio Input Eugene Wendland Home Built 1 April 5th 04 04:16 AM