SeeYou task leg distance calculation question

Old April 19th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default SeeYou task leg distance calculation question

I have this question posted on the Naviter forum, but I thought I'd
troll here for any bored SeeYou fans. (ZL?)

SeeYou (3.9x and now 4.00) is calculating the length of the final leg
in my TAT from the point of the last turn to the center of the finish
circle. Since I have "Reduce leg distance" checked in the options for
the Finish observation zone (and "Use flight fixes" in the task
options), I am expecting the distance from the last turn to the point
where the finish circle is entered, but I'm not getting that. I'd like
to know if I'm doing something wrong.

I had a very similar problem a few years ago that went away after a
SeeYou version upgrade, so I'm pretty sure I have the settings
correct.

For an example of the problem, see my 4/18 flight out of Sampley on
OLC. The task is 339 Yarnell, 325 Western Sky, and 300 Rio Vista
Hills, with start and finish at 302 Sampleys; 5 mile start, 15 mile
circles (all), and 1 mile finish circle.

The Task Statistics show distance 205.0 miles and duration 2:54:19.
The *duration* is correct -- the time shown for the finish is the time
I actually crossed the finish line. But the distance shown for the
last leg is 35.2 miles and it should be ~34.3 (use the SeeYou map
distance tool to check this).

WinScore is correctly showing 203.97 as the task distance.

ted/2NO alias N7
Old April 19th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Tuno napisał:

SeeYou (3.9x and now 4.00) is calculating the length of the final leg
in my TAT from the point of the last turn to the center of the finish
circle. Since I have "Reduce leg distance" checked in the options for
the Finish observation zone (and "Use flight fixes" in the task
options), I am expecting the distance from the last turn to the point
where the finish circle is entered, but I'm not getting that. I'd like
to know if I'm doing something wrong.

This is known SeeYou bug which was never fixed. It happens only with
area tasks ("Use flight fixes" option), racing tasks are calculated
correctly.

Two workarounds are available:
First, use "move origin" option on finish ring. This will reduce the
final leg length, but in a way which is different from IGC rules.

Second (in competitions), amend scoring script and deduct the ring
radius from each finisher's distace, then redo handicaps and speed
calculations.

There is also a third workaround, commonly utilised on many recent
competitons, including Worlds... it is "ignore it".

--
WojtuÅ›.net
Old April 19th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Tom "711" did some hacking and we figured out that the following
settings will result in the correct answer:

Tools - Options - General:
Distance calculation = "using FAI spheroid" (should already be
set)

Task options:
Type = AAT
Task distance calculation = use flight fixes
Task time = 00:00:00

Observation Zones (all Fixed value or Symmetrical direction with
Angle1 = 180):
Start: "Move origin", "Reduce leg distance" -- doesn't matter,
because of "use flight fixes"
Finish: "Move origin" ON, "Reduce leg distance" OFF (only this
combination works)

The surprise in this solution is the Finish OZ settings -- the "Reduce
leg distance" option has opposite the expected effect.

Another contradiction to expectations is the "Task time" -- I expect
that to act like a minimum task time, but SeeYou treats it as a
maximum task time, so you have to leave it at 00:00:00 or put in an
arbitrarily large value, otherwise SeeYou "photo finishes" you at that
point after the start.

Thanks Tom!

tuN7o
Old April 19th 11, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Tuno napisał:

Another contradiction to expectations is the "Task time" -- I expect
that to act like a minimum task time, but SeeYou treats it as a
maximum task time, so you have to leave it at 00:00:00 or put in an
arbitrarily large value, otherwise SeeYou "photo finishes" you at that
point after the start.

In SeeYou Competition module, Task Time is used correctly. But when you
open a flight for analysis - you see the landout. Each scorer has to go
through this once

--
WojtuÅ›.net
Old April 19th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Apr 19, 4:16Â*pm, Wojciech Scigala wrote:
Użytkownik Tuno napisał:

Another contradiction to expectations is the "Task time" -- I expect
that to act like a minimum task time, but SeeYou treats it as a
maximum task time, so you have to leave it at 00:00:00 or put in an
arbitrarily large value, otherwise SeeYou "photo finishes" you at that
point after the start.

In SeeYou Competition module, Task Time is used correctly. But when you
open a flight for analysis - you see the landout. Each scorer has to go
through this once

--
WojtuÅ›.net

And we wonder why Scorers have a habit of drinking heavily... :-)

Old April 19th 11, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

If anyone knows how I can get SeeYou to apply a minimum task time, I'm
very interested in that too.
Old April 19th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Tuno napisał:

If anyone knows how I can get SeeYou to apply a minimum task time, I'm
very interested in that too.

As I said before, it's only possible in SeeYou Competition. Not possible
for a single flight.

--
WojtuÅ›.net