Foka 4 fatal crash

Old May 17th 11, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

Default Foka 4 fatal crash

On May 17, 3:12*am, Paul wrote:
On 17/05/2011 01:34, Ramy wrote:

On May 16, 5:21 pm, Al *wrote:
At 20:22 16 May 2011, Ramy wrote:

This makes it even more tragic as it could have been easily avoided!
I've seen aircrafts grounded for silly reasons such as papework,
certifications etc. Isn't a fatal accident caused by a potential
aircraft flaw warrants a reaction?? Shouldn't there been at least an
AD, bullettin or some kind of warning so other owners and future
owners will be aware of it? Do we know if the person who rigged this
aircraft was aware of this potential fatal problem?

Ramy

Yes there has been - RTFM...!

Agree, a direct link to the report would have been more helpful...

Short Link:http://preview.tinyurl.com/6hdztyz- Hide quoted text -

The detail, thoroughness and general writing quality of this report is
absolutely amazing... very impressive.

Curt - 95
Old May 17th 11, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Berry wrote:

In article ,
James Thomson wrote:

The UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (http://www.aaib.gov.uk)
havepublished their report on the fatal crash last year of a SZD Foka 4.
Thereport is included in the May 2011 bulletin.

The report confirms that the cause was a mis-rig, specifically
theincomplete
engagement of the expanding rigging bolt.

Same type of Foka accident a couple of years ago here in Alabama, U.S.

Be careful assembling those Fokas!

Our gliders with the more common interdigitating spars are not
completely immune to similar improper attachment of the wings. I once
saw an LS-3 land at Cordele with the wings mis-attached and loose enough
to rattle. A main wing pin was not fully engaged through the rear spar
hole. The pilot reported a loud knocking noise on tow, released and very
gingerly returned to land safely. He was quite shaken and I never saw
him fly again.
Old May 17th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 17, 9:53*am, CLewis95 wrote:
On May 17, 3:12*am, Paul wrote:

On 17/05/2011 01:34, Ramy wrote:

On May 16, 5:21 pm, Al *wrote:
At 20:22 16 May 2011, Ramy wrote:

This makes it even more tragic as it could have been easily avoided!
I've seen aircrafts grounded for silly reasons such as papework,
certifications etc. Isn't a fatal accident caused by a potential
aircraft flaw warrants a reaction?? Shouldn't there been at least an
AD, bullettin or some kind of warning so other owners and future
owners will be aware of it? Do we know if the person who rigged this
aircraft was aware of this potential fatal problem?

Ramy

Yes there has been - RTFM...!

Agree, a direct link to the report would have been more helpful...

Short Link:http://preview.tinyurl.com/6hdztyz-Hide quoted text -

The detail, thoroughness and general writing quality of this report is
absolutely amazing... very impressive.

Curt - 95- Hide quoted text -

Yup. Puts the FAA report on the Alabama crash to shame.

Parowan Fatal Crash ContestID67[_2_] Soaring 30 July 3rd 09 03:43 AM
Fatal crash in NW Washington Rich S.[_1_] Home Built 1 February 17th 08 03:38 AM
Fatal Crash Monty General Aviation 1 December 12th 07 10:06 PM
Fatal crash at Fuentemillanos ns51645 Soaring 0 January 24th 04 10:45 AM
Fatal Crash at Robinson Steve Rotorcraft 5 November 10th 03 05:27 PM