GPS Testing?

Old May 21st 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

Default GPS Testing?

Just got a Flight Advisory from the FAA indicating there will be "GPS
Testing" at the White Sands Missile Range this summer. Their schedule
shows dates and times of planned tests. Looks like they are planning
testing from 1-5 PM local every day but Friday of the upcoming Moriarty
Super Regional contest. Their swath of possible outages covers Moriarty
down to 50 ft AGL! It also covers Hobbs down to 50 ft AGL during the US
18-meter Nationals.

I don't remember the previous testing NOTAMS showing such widespread low
level effects. Anyone have any real life experience with this? This
advisory starts next Monday, so maybe the Albuquerque club can let us know.

This could shut down contests in the area as we have no backup for GPS.
Should I pack my old cameras for the contest down there? Or maybe rig up
some GPS anti-jamming equipment?

-Dave

Old May 21st 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:
[...]

Just got notice of this as well. As organizers of the Moriarty Contest
we would appreciate anyone's input on this potential issue.

Tim "EY" and Susan "EY Ground"
Old May 21st 11, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

I don't have any answers but here are the details.

http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2011...new_mexico.pdf

FLIGHT ADVISORY
GPS Testing
WSMR 11-08
May 23, 2011 – July 1, 2011
Truth Or Consequences, NM
GPS testing is scheduled as follows and may result in unreliable or
unavailable GPS signal.
A. Location: Centered at 323652N/1061722W or the BWS VOR 230.5 degree
radial at
19NM.
B. Dates and times:
23 MAY 1900-2300Z
24 MAY 1900-2300Z
25 MAY 0200-0645Z 1900-2300Z
26 MAY 0200-0645Z 1900-2300Z
27 MAY 0200-0645Z
30 MAY 1900-2300Z
31 MAY 1900-2300Z
01 JUN 0701-1200Z 1900-2300Z
02 JUN 0701-1200Z 1900-2300Z
03 JUN 0701-1200Z
06 JUN 1900-2300Z
07 JUN 1900-2300Z
08 JUN 0200-0700Z 1900-2300Z
09 JUN 0200-1200Z 1900-2300Z
10 JUN 0200-0700Z
13 JUN 1900-2300Z
14 JUN 0200-1200Z 1900-2300Z
15 JUN 0701-1200Z 1900-2300Z
16 JUN 0701-1200Z 1900-2300Z
17 JUN 0701-1200Z
20 JUN 1900-2300Z
21 JUN 1900-2300Z
22 JUN 0200-0700Z 1900-2300Z
23 JUN 0200-0700Z 1900-2300Z
24 JUN 0701-1200Z
27 JUN 1900-2300Z
Released
May 20, 2011
28 JUN 1900-2300Z
29 JUN 0701-1200Z 1900-2300Z
30 JUN 0701-1200Z 1900-2300Z
01 JUL 0200-1200Z
C. Duration: Events could last up to 10 hours with continuous
emissions.
D. During testing, the GPS signal may be unreliable or unavailable
within a 320NMR centered
at 323652N/1061722W or the BWS VOR 230.5 degree radial at 19 NM at
FL400 and
above, decreasing in area with decrease in altitude to 265NMR at
FL250, 185NMR at
10,000 FT MSL, 190NMR at 4,000 FT AGL and 155NMR at 50 FT AGL.
E. Pilots are strongly encouraged to report anomalies during testing
to the appropriate
ARTCC to assist in the determination of the extent of GPS degradation
during tests.
The NOTAMs discussed in this advisory may change with little or no
notice. Pilots are
advised to check NOTAMs frequently for possible changes prior to
operations in the
area. NOTAMs will be published at least 24 hours in advance of any GPS
tests.
Old May 21st 11, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 5/20/2011 9:46 PM, ZL wrote:
I don't remember the previous testing NOTAMS showing such widespread low
level effects. Anyone have any real life experience with this? This
advisory starts next Monday, so maybe the Albuquerque club can let us know.

There are numerous news stories, that would indicate the NOTAM refers to
testing for the FCC certification of Lightspeed's use of an adjacent
frequency spectrum, to one of the GPS signal frequencies, for a
nationwide 4G broadband network.
http://www.insidegnss.com/node/2589
Lightspeed's final FCC license approval is contingent upon proving that
their broadband signal will not interfere with GPS signals.
Tests, prior to the current NOTAM, have indicated there is some level of
interference.
Old May 21st 11, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On May 21, 6:49*am, wrote:
On 5/20/2011 9:46 PM, ZL wrote:

I don't remember the previous testing NOTAMS showing such widespread low
level effects. Anyone have any real life experience with this? This
advisory starts next Monday, so maybe the Albuquerque club can let us know.

There are numerous news stories, that would indicate the NOTAM refers to
testing for the FCC certification of Lightspeed's use of an adjacent
frequency spectrum, to one of the GPS signal frequencies, for a
nationwide 4G broadband network.http://www.insidegnss.com/node/2589
Lightspeed's final FCC license approval is contingent upon proving that
their broadband signal will not interfere with GPS signals.
Tests, prior to the current NOTAM, have indicated there is some level of
interference.

Thanks for the info. I wondered if this NOTAM had anything to do with
this Lightspeed mess.
Tim "EY"
Old May 21st 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

OMG, Dave, you might have to buy a sectional chart!

Not really - you can see everything from everywhere down here.

Old May 21st 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

"ZL" wrote in message

[...]

-Dave- Hide quoted text -

Dan,

You may be able to see everything, but there may not be any flight
logs to submit for the contest.

This is potentially a serious problem for the Moriarty contest, and
the effected locations for OLC submissions.

Mike

Old May 22nd 11, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

"ZL" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, so maybe the Luddites get their day in the sun. We need a Plan B
for GPS outages.

Just have to figure out how to use digital cameras like old film types
which are hopelessly obsolete. At least there won't be a sleepy
looking guy who smells like darkroom chemicals at breakfast the next
day.

Or, if that's too much tech, the contest organizers can send crews out
to the turn points to lay out white panels in a pattern that changes
every 15 minutes. The pilots would just have to write down the time
and the pattern they saw (with a #2 pencil, of course) to prove they
rounded a turn point. The organizers would also have to find an old
timer who remembers how to run a start gate and finish line.

Since a number of pilots will get lost and land out without their GPS,
there will be something for the crews to do again - maybe with the
Beatles and Elvis on the car radio.

Bill D
Old May 22nd 11, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On May 20, 7:02*pm, Tim wrote:
On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:

[...]

Tim "EY" and Susan "EY Ground"- Hide quoted text -

Tim,

Light Squared is conjecture at this time. No definitive description
of the testing has been defined anywhere that I can find.

As a contest orginizer you really need to find out who is testing
what? Then maybe we can make a determination on the effects of the
testing.

A contest where the GPS system would be unreliable or nonexistent
would be a waste of time and a lot of driving for nothing.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com