GPS Testing?

Old May 22nd 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default GPS Testing?

On May 21, 10:36*pm, Richard wrote:
On May 20, 7:02*pm, Tim wrote:

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:

Just got a Flight Advisory from the FAA indicating there will be "GPS
Testing" at the White Sands Missile Range this summer. Their schedule
shows dates and times of planned tests. Looks like they are planning
testing from 1-5 PM local every day but Friday of the upcoming Moriarty
Super Regional contest. Their swath of possible outages covers Moriarty
down to 50 ft AGL! It also covers Hobbs down to 50 ft AGL during the US
18-meter Nationals.

I don't remember the previous testing NOTAMS showing such widespread low
level effects. Anyone have any real life experience with this? This
advisory starts next Monday, so maybe the Albuquerque club can let us know.

This could shut down contests in the area as we have no backup for GPS.
Should I pack my old cameras for the contest down there? Or maybe rig up
some GPS anti-jamming equipment?

-Dave

Just got notice of this as well. As organizers of the Moriarty Contest
we would appreciate anyone's input on this potential issue.

Tim "EY" and Susan "EY Ground"- Hide quoted text -

Tim,

Light Squared is conjecture at this time. *No definitive description
of the testing has been defined anywhere that I can find.

As a contest orginizer you really need to find out who is testing
what? * Then maybe we can make a determination on the effects of the
testing.

A contest where the GPS system would be unreliable or nonexistent
would be a waste of time and a lot of driving for nothing.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com- Hide quoted text -

Albuquerque Soaring is looking into this and will soon have an idea of
how to proceed or not.
Old May 22nd 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On May 21, 11:36*pm, Richard wrote:

Absolutely Richard. Let's see what we can learn/divine so we can see
waht to do. EY
Old May 22nd 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On May 21, 9:36*pm, Richard wrote:
On May 20, 7:02*pm, Tim wrote:

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:

[...]

This seems pretty clear that it is related to LightSquare testing.
direct to my inbox from FAA:

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
LIGHT ADVISORY LightSquare Testing May 16, 2011 – May 27, 2011 Boulder
City, NV
Notice Number: NOTC2978

FLIGHT ADVISORY

LightSquared Testing at BVU
May 16, 2011 – May 27, 2011 Boulder City, NV
LightSquare (mobile broadband service) testing is scheduled as follows
and may result in unreliable or unavailable GPS signal.

More information can be downloaded from the link below.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...t_Advisory.pdf
Old May 23rd 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On May 20, 7:02*pm, Tim wrote:

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:

[...]

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...re_-BVU_Fl...- Hide quoted text -

Matt,

I am not sure why you think this is the same as the Flight Advisory
GPS Testing WSMR 11-08 . It is a different Advisory, different
location and different Dates. The advisory we are concerned with does
not say LightSquared Testing. It says GPS Testing WSRM 11-09 (White
Sands Missile Range)

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 23rd 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...-BVU_Fl...Hide quoted text -

Matt,

I am not sure why you think this is the same as the Flight Advisory
GPS Testing WSMR 11-08 . * It is a different Advisory, different
location and different Dates. *The advisory we are concerned with does
not say LightSquared Testing. *It says GPS Testing WSRM 11-09 (White
Sands Missile Range)

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Has anyone heard about the GPS jamming devices being used by truckers
to jamb the tracking systems the trucking companies have installed on
their trucks? Seems like the drivers are buying these and using them
to hide where they are, how long they stop, and how fast they drive.
Of course having/using them is illegal , but radar detectors have been
illegal for years in several states, and that never stopped them.
They are playing hell with the GPS Nav and approach systems.
Don't get rid of your VOR/ILS systems for power planes just yet....
Old May 23rd 11, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim archer

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...U_Fl....quoted text -

Matt,

I am not sure why you think this is the same as the Flight Advisory
GPS Testing WSMR 11-08 . * It is a different Advisory, different
location and different Dates. *The advisory we are concerned with does
not say LightSquared Testing. *It says GPS Testing WSRM 11-09 (White
Sands Missile Range)

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Has anyone heard about the GPS jamming devices being used by truckers
to jamb the tracking systems the trucking companies have installed on
their trucks? *Seems like the drivers are buying these and using them
to hide where they are, how long they stop, and how fast they drive.
Of course having/using them is illegal , but radar detectors have been
illegal for years in several states, and that never stopped them.
They are playing hell with the GPS Nav and approach systems.
Don't get rid of your VOR/ILS systems for power planes just yet....- Hide quoted text -

"They are playing hell with the GPS Nav and approach systems" ...?

That might be an exaggeration? I use GPS every single day during
daylight hours, have done this in all parts of the US at one time or
another for many years now, and have not had an issue. Could you
futher explain or provide some facts or anecdotes supporting this?

Thanks for the original post. I left the Roswell, NM area just in
time to avoid potential complications from this testing.

Old May 24th 11, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...-BVU_Fl...text -

[...]

Newark, airport in NJ, has a trucking terminal nearby GPS jamming,
playing hell with the WASS approaches...was the subject of an FAA tech
telcom discussion..and lets not forget the projected solar flare
activity for the next couple of years ...
Old May 24th 11, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

On May 20, 7:02*pm, Tim wrote:

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:

[...]

Google it, references in UPI.COM article in March 2011...
Old May 24th 11, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
susanmcallister[_2_]

On May 20, 8:46*pm, ZL wrote:
[...]

We are on the case and will make a determination about whether to go/
no go/postpone the contest at least one week before the first practice
day (June 4). We are among those driving a long way to get there!
Old May 25th 11, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

Update on GPS Testing Issue:

The request is now in the proper hands at the DOD (Washington, DC) and
has been presented to DOD by the FAA (!). We have been promised a
reply within two days. It is not LightSquared related.

So we should have an answer to when/if the contest is happening
sooner, rather than later. Please Stand By.

EY