GPS Testing?

Old May 25th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default GPS Testing?

On May 24, 5:28*pm, Tim wrote:
Update on GPS Testing Issue:

The request is now in the proper hands at the DOD (Washington, DC) and
has been presented to DOD by the FAA (!). *We have been promised a
reply within two days. It is not LightSquared related.

So we should have an answer to when/if the contest is happening
sooner, rather than later. Please Stand By.

EY

Tim,

Thanks for the comprehensive approach.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old May 25th 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Fingers are crossed! Thanks so much for working on this - really
looking forward to attending this contest!

Bruno - B4
Old May 27th 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Just found this on a list I follow, posted yesterday.

ESF 2 – Telecommunications and Information Technology:

(National) LightSquared cell network knocks out first responders' GPS
in tests. Initial tests of a controversial cellular broadband network
planned by LightSquared showed the company's system knocked out global
positioning system (GPS) receivers used by first responders.
LightSquared of Reston, Virginia, tested its system last month at
Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico, with the participation of state
police vehicles and county ambulances, both of which experienced
outages from the company's cell tower, according to the director of
the State of New Mexico E911 program. LightSquared operates in the
1525-1559 MHz and 1626.5-1660.5 MHz bands, and the Federal
Communications Commission directed the tests to determine if the
network interfered with GPS systems that operate in the nearby
1559-1610 MHz bands. The director of E911, in a May 11 letter to the
director of the Air Force Global Positioning Directorate said the
results of the April tests, "substantiate concerns that the
LightSquared network will cause interference to GPS signals and
jeopardize 911 and public safety nationwide." LightSquared, the GPS
industry, and numerous federal agencies are conducting tests through
June to determine the extent of interference from the company's system
to GPS receivers. The Federal Aviation Administration said another
test of the LightSquared system started May 23 in Las Vegas, Nevada
and will continue through May 27. FAA warned of potential GPS outages
within 300 miles of the LightSquared tower in Boulder City, Neveda, 25
miles southeast of Las Vegas. The U.S. defense and transportation
departments have serious concerns about the impact LightSquared's
network of 40,000 cell towers will have on GPS receivers. LightSquared
maintains the interference is not caused by its system, but by
sensitive GPS receivers that "see" into the frequency band the network
uses.

Source: http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20110520_9569.php

Old May 28th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

Hooray!

Looks like the Moriarty Super Regional is GO based on the revised
NOTAM found at:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...t_Advisory.pdf

If I am reading it right the outage times are now limited to between
either 7PM - 3AM local OR 7PM - 12AM local. Even if I am off on my Z-
time this is pretty much limited to the overnight hours.

This should also free up 18m Nationals from any concerns as well.

Thanks go to the local team at Moriarty for helping this process
along.

Tim & Susan McAllister "Team EY"
Old May 28th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

On 5/27/2011 6:47 PM, Tim wrote:
Hooray!

Looks like the Moriarty Super Regional is GO based on the revised
NOTAM found at:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...t_Advisory.pdf

If I am reading it right the outage times are now limited to between
either 7PM - 3AM local OR 7PM - 12AM local. Even if I am off on my Z-
time this is pretty much limited to the overnight hours.

This should also free up 18m Nationals from any concerns as well.

Thanks go to the local team at Moriarty for helping this process
along.

Tim& Susan McAllister "Team EY"

Revised or additional? I couldn't find anything saying the old one was
cancelled. And a flight route breifing through DUATs indicated both WSMR
11-08 and WSMR 11-09 are in effect next week.

-Dave
Old May 28th 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

SNIP
Revised or additional? I couldn't find anything saying the old one was
cancelled. And a flight route breifing through DUATs indicated both WSMR
11-08 and WSMR 11-09 are in effect next week.

-Dave

Hmmmmmmm... let us check on this. Stand By.
Old May 28th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

Revised or additional? I couldn't find anything saying the old one was
cancelled. And a flight route breifing through DUATs indicated both WSMR
11-08 and WSMR 11-09 are in effect next week.

-Dave

O.K. Everyone. This might not be the good news we need to officially
say the contest is GO.

ZL is correct that the two NOTAMs are in effect next week. Further the
two NOTAMs do not share the same broadcast location, nor do they share
the same radius of effect. Grrrrr!

We need to get some more confirmation before we issue the all clear
signal. Sorry for the false alarm. Will get the details confirmed by
next week.

Tim "EY"