Twp aviation questions

Old November 21st 11, 10:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Default Twp aviation questions

First, what qualifies an airport as an "international" airport? I've seen or
heard of some "international" airports that don't seem to be able to handle
worldwide flights. Maybe I'm wrong.

Second, on many, if not most or all airliners, what is the small round opening
in the very tail that almost looks like an exhaust?

Thanks.
Old November 22nd 11, 12:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Moore

First, what qualifies an airport as an "international" airport? I've
seen or heard of some "international" airports that don't seem to be
able to handle worldwide flights. Maybe I'm wrong.

The availibility of "Customs and Immigration" services. It could be as
simple as a small grass strip on the boarder if there is a federal agent
on call to handle those chores.

Bob Moore
Old November 22nd 11, 12:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-21 14:52:42 -0800, said:

First, what qualifies an airport as an "international" airport? I've seen or
heard of some "international" airports that don't seem to be able to handle
worldwide flights. Maybe I'm wrong.

In the USA there are several different considerations, one of which is
the specific purpose of the facility. They might be a purely
International Air Cargo terminal.

For the FAA to grant authorization to operate as an "International"
airport purpose and proposed traffic has to be considered.
For example there is the "Fresno Yosemite International Airport" This
commuter airport originally gained authority as an "International"
airport through the city's application to operate an international air
cargo terminal to be operated by UPS, there in 2006. This established a
US Customs presence.

Fresno is located in the San Joaquin Valley and as such has a large
migrant labor population and a well established ICE office. So, in
April of 2011 it was easy to open a branch of Fresno ICE at the airport
to handle new Aeromexico and Voltaris international daily flight routes
between Mexico City, Guadalajara and Fresno.

So there might be many smaller airports which have 3 or 4 daily flights
from Canada or Mexico. They might also have limited hours for
international operation because they don't have permanent ICE staff.
This is what happened with the recent onboard stranding of
international passengers when their flights from Europe were diverted
to "International" airports which had no ICE staff present.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old November 22nd 11, 05:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard[_8_]

On 11/21/2011 6:03 PM, Bob Moore wrote:
First, what qualifies an airport as an "international" airport? I've
seen or heard of some "international" airports that don't seem to be
able to handle worldwide flights. Maybe I'm wrong.

The availibility of "Customs and Immigration" services. It could be as
simple as a small grass strip on the boarder if there is a federal agent
on call to handle those chores.

Bob Moore

And, legend says, if the sign on the fence says "international", even in
jest, those services must be present.

I don't know about interplanetary airports...
Old November 22nd 11, 06:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-21 21:33:49 -0800, Richard said:

On 11/21/2011 6:03 PM, Bob Moore wrote:
First, what qualifies an airport as an "international" airport? I've
seen or heard of some "international" airports that don't seem to be
able to handle worldwide flights. Maybe I'm wrong.

The availibility of "Customs and Immigration" services. It could be as
simple as a small grass strip on the boarder if there is a federal agent
on call to handle those chores.

Bob Moore

And, legend says, if the sign on the fence says "international", even
in jest, those services must be present.

Some legend! They only need to have the ICE services available for
scheduled flights. Throw in unexpected delays and added traffic due to
diversions and you have another bunch of problems.

Tell that to the 1,000 passengers held for 7 hours on the American
Airlines flight from Paris and the Canadian Airlines flights diverted
to Bradley International Airport, Hartford, Conn, who were told they
couldn't leave the AC because Customs and Immigration had left for the
day. That was on top of those trapped on three JetBlue planes because
the planes at the jetway couldn't be pushed back to make room for
getting the stranded passengers off because the scheduled departures
had not been cleared for departure to JFK and La Guardia..

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old November 22nd 11, 09:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

On 22/11/2011 06:00, Savageduck wrote:
On 2011-11-21 21:33:49 -0800, Richard said:

[...]

That apart they had a very successful day, from the airport's point of
view, particularly with the landing fees!

;-)

--
Moving things in still pictures