Is "Piloting" really this inactive lately?

Old January 27th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Is "Piloting" really this inactive lately?

Bug Dout wrote:
And aside from the spammers chasing people away...is there anything new
under the sun? If you have sun in the winter. There's little new
happening with certificated aircraft, the action--what there is of
it--is in experimentals. Well, there is the initiative by AOPA and EAA
to sort of extend the Sport Pilot concept to heavier aircraft.

You must not read http://aero-news.net/ or http://www.avweb.com/ if you
think there is nothing going on.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 27th 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

On 1/28/2012 3:15 AM, Dudley Henriques wrote:
On Jan 27, 3:05 am, wrote:
On 1/27/2012 6:06 PM, Mxsmanic wrote: Dudley Henriques writes:

Rather than post "test" to get an answer let me take the round about
method :-)
My Usenet reader is showing rec.aviation.piloting with very little
posting going on lately; sometimes days on end without a post.
Is this accurate? All the other groups I have set up show normal
posting each day.
Is "piloting" really getting this inactive?
Yes

Guess who led the group to this state

LOL. Well, since nothing has changed, I'll be just passing through.
Have fun :-))
DH

It'll improve
As they say. Watch this space
Old January 27th 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

George152 writes:

Guess who led the group to this state

There was no one person who did it. Many groups have become similarly
inactive, for similar reasons. The ones that stay the most active are
generally the ones that had the least intelligent discussion to begin with.
Old January 28th 12, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Clark writes:

Look in a mirror. You're one of the culprits Mxmanic.

No, I'm not.
Old January 28th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Bug Dout

writes:

Bug Dout wrote:
And aside from the spammers chasing people away...is there anything new
under the sun? If you have sun in the winter. There's little new
happening with certificated aircraft, the action--what there is of
it--is in experimentals. Well, there is the initiative by AOPA and EAA
to sort of extend the Sport Pilot concept to heavier aircraft.

You must not read
http://aero-news.net/ or http://www.avweb.com/ if you
think there is nothing going on.

I subscribe to avweb, it shows up a few times a week and is usually
ignored...here's why. A copy-paste from their website:

BORDER PATROL: PLANES USED TO SMUGGLE IMMIGRANTS
CARRIERS DIVERT FOR SOLAR STORM
ELECTRIC AIRCRAFT SYMPOSIUM SET FOR APRIL
INDY PREPARES FOR SUPER BOWL FLY-IN
BAREFOOT BANDIT: "ANYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE DIED"
UPS PILOTS TAKE ON FAA
FAA FUNDING RESOLUTION IN SIGHT
BOMBARDIER NUMBERS UP
WING-CRACK CHECKS ORDERED FOR A380S
TAILHOOK TROUBLESOME FOR STEALTH FIGHTER
NTSB REPORTS ON HOMEBUILT STUDY
The NTSB said this week it has completed the data-collection phase for a
study on the safety of Experimental-Amateur Built aircraft.

All of these are devoid of interest for the recreational (GA) pilot,
except the last; but since the only thing that's happened is the *data
collection* has been accomplished (not the analysis), that's of little
interest too.

Actually something caught my attention the other day: Craig Fuller,
Pres. of AOPA, says 80%-90% of people who start to learn to fly never
get a license. Seems a very high rate of dropouts and I'm skeptical of
how that is measured. Supposedly AOPA is going to do something about it
but I'm skeptical of that too, and fully expect another useless
marketing effort. Nevertheless I'm interested in the reasons for
student pilots dropping out. Wanna discuss it?

--
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Theodore Roosevelt
Old January 28th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Clark wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

George152 writes:

Guess who led the group to this state

There was no one person who did it. Many groups have become similarly
inactive, for similar reasons. The ones that stay the most active are
generally the ones that had the least intelligent discussion to begin with.

Look in a mirror. You're one of the culprits Mxmanic.

The "culprits" are those that couln't just ignore the trolls, took their
baseball, and went home.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 28th 12, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Mxsmanic

Bug Dout writes:

Actually something caught my attention the other day: Craig Fuller,
Pres. of AOPA, says 80%-90% of people who start to learn to fly never
get a license. Seems a very high rate of dropouts and I'm skeptical of
how that is measured. Supposedly AOPA is going to do something about it
but I'm skeptical of that too, and fully expect another useless
marketing effort. Nevertheless I'm interested in the reasons for
student pilots dropping out. Wanna discuss it?

High cost vs. low interest
Old January 28th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Bob Moore

Bug Dout wrote

Actually something caught my attention the other day: Craig Fuller,
Pres. of AOPA, says 80%-90% of people who start to learn to fly never
get a license.

Actually, here in the USofA, I'd say the number is 100%.

Bob Moore
Holder of Pilot Certificate #1450645

Old January 30th 12, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

On Jan 29, 9:52*pm, Clark wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote innews
Clark writes:

Look in a mirror. You're one of the culprits Mxmanic.

No, I'm not.

Denial is pointless.

False attribution.

No group has ever fed a troll so much that they went away.

I'm sure it'll work this time, though...

Go get 'im, Sparky!
-----

- gpsman
Old February 6th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:42:55 -0800 (PST), Dudley Henriques wrote:

Hi Orval;

I was sort of leaning that way myself :-))

I don't post much on Usenet any longer for that exact reason but I do
keep a shortcut for a few Usenet groups on the desktop to bring them
up once in a while to see what's going on.
I brought up "piloting" and there seemed to actually be a 10 day
period where only a single thread was receiving any action. That
seemed so unusual for this forum based on the traffic it used to
generate I actually thought my reader might be the problem.
Oh well.......at least I found out my reader isn't a problem :-))
Hope all's been well with you down there.
Dudley

Doing fine Dudley and you know I respect, admire and want to suck the
end of your glans off, you Almighty Mother****er you.