thanks Soaring Magazine

Old June 5th 12, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default thanks Soaring Magazine

On 6/5/2012 8:27 AM, wrote:
Greg

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:13:17 AM UTC-7, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 6/5/2012 7:41 AM, Wayne Paul wrote:
I guess this is one of the biggest differences between "Soaring" and
"Free Flight". If Tony Burton, the editor of Free Flight, hears about
something news worthy happening and no one submits an article, he will
write one. Notice in the "Free Flight" link posted earlier, Tony
authored articles.

Many decades ago, a SOARING editor like Doug Lamont was an active
soaring pilot, and both wrote articles and approached pilots about
writing articles. Now, it appears that the editor has no active
involvement in the soaring scene, and passively chooses articles from
whatever appears in each month's mailbag.

In contrast, to be news worthy in "Soaring", having the skills to design
and build a fabulous sailplane isn't enough, you must also be an author.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Bill D" wrote in message

On Jun 4, 11:24 pm, Bob wrote:
I don't really care that Soaring has given the HP-24 Project zero
coverage in Soaring Magazine. That is as I have come to expect.

But I think that Brad has been treated pretty shabbily here. His
Tetra-15 is arguably one of the best amateur-built sailplanes there
has ever been, and I think it would be nice if you didn't have to
subscribe to the Canadian national soaring magazine to read a few
column inches about it.

Thanks, Bob
K.http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24https...t/200931354951

Yours is a good story and it should be in Soaring. However, to get it
published, you have to write it. There are no reporters on the
Soaring staff. Just sending in photos won't get it done.

: You are just plain wrong. Just two months ago I spent a three-day weekend soaring with the editor of Soaring. I'll second what Bill said, though: if you want an article in Soaring, write it. I've done that several times. Fred

He flew with you in your commercial operation? Three days of dual flights?

Old June 5th 12, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_2_]

On Jun 4, 9:17*pm, Brad wrote:
I provided soaring magazine with dozens of high quality images shot
from the ground and from the air of the Tetra-15. First flight was 3
months ago and for some reason the editor has elected to entertain us
with pictures of Libelles and other European glass.

You would think after 10 years of dedicated hard work and perseverance
at least 1 picture would make it into the magazine.

Well, I bet the DuckHawk and Concordia get some page time in the next
issue.

Thanks again guys,
Brad

There was a very good article about the Duckhawk that was written by a
non-Windward Performance author a couple years ago and that was
submitted to Soaring Mag.

No publication because the article was "too commercial" according to
Soaring Mag. ???.

Tim EY
Old June 5th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Greg: I am no longer in a commercial operation. We were flying out of a small strip called Jacumba in San Diego Co. A three day winch clinic sponsored by the Consolidated Glider Clubs of Southern Ca. Fred

He flew with you in your commercial operation? Three days of dual flights?

Old June 5th 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That's one of the difficult decisions an editor has to make. I am not defending the decision because I don't know the circumstances other than what you write. And in any case I'm not defending someone else's editorial decisions, just trying to correct the record about whether or not the editor is a soaring pilot. He is.

Fred
Old June 5th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've replied to this previously, but it does not seem to have posted. If this is a duplicate post I apologize.

No, Chuck and I flew with the Consolidated Glider Clubs of Southern California at a winch clinic in Jacumba, San Diego County. I highly recommend the clinic if another comes up and anyone wants a winch endorsement. Fred
Old June 5th 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

K.http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24https.../pages/HP-24-S...

Yours is a good story and it should be in Soaring. However, to get it
published, you have to write it. There are no reporters on the
Soaring staff. Just sending in photos won't get it done.

: *You are just plain wrong. *Just two months ago I spent a three-day weekend soaring with the editor of Soaring. *I'll second what Bill said, though: if you want an article in Soaring, write it. *I've done that several times. *Fred

Just to clarify a few points: I spoke with the editor 3 months
ago.............he asked for pictures of the Tetra and I provided
dozens of high quality images taken with high quality digital cameras,
both in-flight and on the ground. I did not write an article for
soaring, but my hope was that there would be images that could be used
for a cover page, or a center spread or one of the several pix used in
the soaring photo showcase. This is what he and I discussed; having
some images added to the magazine.

Brad
Old June 5th 12, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I just spoke with Chuck Coyne on the phone today. It seems that we had
our wires crossed, and I had given him the impression that I wanted to
hold off on publishing about the project, which was probably the case
when we previously spoke.

Look for some photo coverage at least about Brad's Tetra-15 in the
July 2012 edition, and a full-length article about the HP-24 project
as a whole in a subsequent issue.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951
Old June 5th 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:58:18 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I just spoke with Chuck Coyne on the phone today. It seems that we had
our wires crossed, and I had given him the impression that I wanted to
hold off on publishing about the project, which was probably the case
when we previously spoke.

Look for some photo coverage at least about Brad's Tetra-15 in the
July 2012 edition, and a full-length article about the HP-24 project
as a whole in a subsequent issue.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951

Excellent! I can't wait.
Old June 5th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Back in the 90s I wrote an article about a 6 day soaring safari from the
perspective of both pilots who took turns flying and crewing. The magazine
told me it was too long and sent me a t-shirt.

It was published in the Black Forest newsletter.

"Karl Kunz" wrote in message
Bob & Brad, I think Bill has it right, you guys could probably write up a
multi-issue article on building the Tetra-15/ HP24. Having followed the
progress it really is a very interesting story and should be told by those
who know it best. You could probably extract most of it from the HP website
and Facebook.

-karl

Old June 5th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Yours is a good story and it should be in Soaring. However, to get it
published, you have to write it. There are no reporters on the
Soaring staff. Just sending in photos won't get it done.

Yeah, but the Canadians got it done.

Tony V.

Feedback needed on Advanced Soaring Made Easy book for Soaring Magazine review Paul Remde Soaring 1 April 14th 11 03:57 AM
Soaring magazine Rhonda Soaring 7 August 7th 07 04:16 PM
Soaring magazine JJ Sinclair Soaring 24 November 14th 03 03:24 PM
Aug. Soaring Magazine (USA) Nolaminar Soaring 6 August 2nd 03 01:54 AM
"Soaring" magazine on CD-ROM like EAA Burt Compton Soaring 5 July 12th 03 10:20 PM