Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Old July 25th 12, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Vaughn writes:

My flight bag literally bulges with non-certified gizmos. I still carry
my trusty aviation GPS, but when I find the right GPS app for my pad it
will float to the dusty bottom of the bag along with the old gum
wrappers and FBO receipts.

You are not worried about dependence on uncertified software and hardware?

In-flight weather was just for the big boys a few years ago, but now
it's filtering down to the rest of us. My pad gives me weather up until
the moment I launch, and sporadically updates it in flight via 3G.

Is this the same XM weather that so concerns the NTSB because of its potential
lack of timeliness?

I get superb weather images on it with a $10.00 Android Foreflight
app. (no subscription charge). Now I'm just looking for a decent GPS
app, and I will have a cheap yoke-mountable one-box solution.

Will you be making safety-of-life decisions based on these gadgets?
Old July 25th 12, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Clear writes:

I wouldn't call an Mx an old timer. He was only around for the last
bit of the life of this group.

If you mean me, I've been posting to this group for a decade.
Old July 25th 12, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,
In article ,
wrote:
Vaughn writes:

My flight bag literally bulges with non-certified gizmos. I still carry
my trusty aviation GPS, but when I find the right GPS app for my pad it
will float to the dusty bottom of the bag along with the old gum
wrappers and FBO receipts.

You are not worried about dependence on uncertified software and hardware?

Dependence? Assuming VFR flight, then all these 'uncertified' gizmos are
just backup for traditional Nav.

Andy
Old July 25th 12, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,
In article ,
wrote:
My flight bag literally bulges with non-certified gizmos. I still carry
my trusty aviation GPS, but when I find the right GPS app for my pad it
will float to the dusty bottom of the bag along with the old gum
wrappers and FBO receipts.

Have you tried SkyDemon? (http://www.skydemon.aero). I use it in the UK, not
sure what its chart availability it like for your area of the world. It's
excellent.

Andy
Old July 25th 12, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Andy Hawkins writes:

Dependence? Assuming VFR flight, then all these 'uncertified' gizmos are
just backup for traditional Nav.

The temptation can be strong to use backup as primary.
Old July 25th 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Dependence? Assuming VFR flight, then all these 'uncertified' gizmos are
just backup for traditional Nav.

The temptation can be strong to use backup as primary.

Yes, but that is true in all walks of life. It's all about discipline.

I admit to sometimes leaning on my GPS more than I would like, which is why
I regularly fly with the GPS covered up to make sure my 'traditional' NAV
skills are still up to scratch.

Andy

Old July 25th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Andy Hawkins writes:

Dependence? Assuming VFR flight, then all these 'uncertified' gizmos are
just backup for traditional Nav.

The temptation can be strong to use backup as primary.

The temptation can be strong to strangle some ass hole that really ****es
one off but most people are able to resist the temptation to commit a
crime.

Old July 25th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Dependence? Assuming VFR flight, then all these 'uncertified' gizmos are
just backup for traditional Nav.

The temptation can be strong to use backup as primary.

Yes, but that is true in all walks of life. It's all about discipline.

I admit to sometimes leaning on my GPS more than I would like, which is why
I regularly fly with the GPS covered up to make sure my 'traditional' NAV
skills are still up to scratch.

Andy

The point MX misses is that there is no such thing as a Nav device certified
for VFR flight other than the Mark I eyeball and a chart; everything else
is backup for VFR flight.

Old July 25th 12, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fritz Wuehler[_10_]

I'm just lurking, since moving to Europe, where I believe the costs of
flying are probably too high to bother.

I would be more active on this list if I were an active pilot.