new Soaring article

Old May 11th 11, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default new Soaring article

I wrote an article for Soaring, that will appear in the July issue.
Title: "Gizmo Future." A somewhat unusual view of the "what's in the
future for Soaring" kind of article. It's on my webpage if you just
can't wait for July,

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...ers/gizmo.html

John Cochrane
Old May 12th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lars Peder Hansen

John,

One of the best soaring related articles I have read in a long time!

You ask about a military application for thermal detectors. I seem to
remember reading somewhere that the US military is involved in exactly this
technology, to make their light UAV's able to stay airborne much longer on a
given amount of fuel/battery.

And you state that your ASW-27 will outfly any ETA if you had these modern
technologies. -But.... Then you'd have trouble with ETA's that also have the
gizmo's, right? Well, I guess that is what drives innovation, anyway.

Cheers,
Lars Peder
DG-600, Denmark

Old May 12th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

yes, very nice article John. Thanks!
Old May 12th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On May 12, 2:56*pm, Tony wrote:
yes, very nice article John. Thanks!

I don't agree with you John. Yes from the prospective of an ASW-27
owner or an ASG-29 owner spending $2,000 on a new gizmo is not a
problem but it is a competition entry barrier for people who fly
$15,000-20,000 gliders. If we keep pushing new gizmos into our
cockpits and require them we will cut off many potential competition
pilots from the pleasures of participating in contests. Something to
think about it. Not everyone flies an expensive glider.
Old May 12th 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On May 12, 3:09*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On May 12, 2:56*pm, Tony wrote:

yes, very nice article John. Thanks!

I don't agree with you John. Yes from the prospective of an ASW-27
owner or an ASG-29 owner spending $2,000 on a new gizmo is not a
problem but it is a competition entry barrier for people who fly
$15,000-20,000 gliders. If we keep pushing new gizmos into our
cockpits and require them we will cut off many potential competition
pilots from the pleasures of participating in contests. Something to
think about it. Not everyone flies an expensive glider.

Thanks for the important thought.
There is a big difference between "push" or "require" and "allow."
I also notice the same difference of opinion in cheaper classes
though. Everyone seems to love $2000 winglets on Club class gliders.
Why allow these but ban $2000 electronics?
John
Old May 12th 11, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 12, 2:56*pm, Tony wrote:

yes, very nice article John. Thanks!

I don't agree with you John. Yes from the prospective of an ASW-27
owner or an ASG-29 owner spending $2,000 on a new gizmo is not a
problem but it is a competition entry barrier for people who fly
$15,000-20,000 gliders. If we keep pushing new gizmos into our
cockpits and require them we will cut off many potential competition
pilots from the pleasures of participating in contests. Something to
think about it. Not everyone flies an expensive glider.

Thanks for the important thought.
There is a big difference between "push" or "require" and "allow."
I also notice the same difference of opinion in cheaper classes
though. Everyone seems to love $2000 winglets on Club class gliders.
Why allow these but ban $2000 electronics?
John

I think "allow" is the operative word. One thing that all of the
various sanctioning bodies (FAI/IGC/NACs) will have to address at some
point is a class that is primarily aimed at lowest possible cost. In
the US we have the 1-26, but that's not necessarily a long-term or
broad enough solution. Every other racing sport I can think of has
events and classes that are very specifically aimed at low cost of
entry (Sunfish or equivalent in sailing; all sorts of "stock" classes
in various forms of motor racing). If "Club Class" starts to mean
$30K or more investment, to be competitive, then it probably serves
us right if the "racing" aspect of the sport declines.

Probably kind of hard to swallow coming from a guy with an LS8 and a
brand new ClearNav, but believe me, the conversation around the dinner
table certainly gravitates to "So, what was in that box from [insert
name of soaring instrument supplier here] that arrived via UPS more
often than I'd like..."

P3

Old May 13th 11, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On May 12, 1:09*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On May 12, 2:56*pm, Tony wrote:

yes, very nice article John. Thanks!

I don't agree with you John. Yes from the prospective of an ASW-27
owner or an ASG-29 owner spending $2,000 on a new gizmo is not a
problem but it is a competition entry barrier for people who fly
$15,000-20,000 gliders. If we keep pushing new gizmos into our
cockpits and require them we will cut off many potential competition
pilots from the pleasures of participating in contests. Something to
think about it. Not everyone flies an expensive glider.

Andrzej -

Good point. However, I would like to point out that the current club/
sports class prohibits water-ballast, right? So there's already a
precedent for limiting equipment in specific competition classes. And
as prices and equipment changes over time, these limitations can be
reviewed and adjusted.

--Noel

Old May 13th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On May 12, 2:56*pm, Tony wrote:

yes, very nice article John. Thanks!

I don't agree with you John. Yes from the prospective of an ASW-27
owner or an ASG-29 owner spending $2,000 on a new gizmo is not a
problem but it is a competition entry barrier for people who fly
$15,000-20,000 gliders. If we keep pushing new gizmos into our
cockpits and require them we will cut off many potential competition
pilots from the pleasures of participating in contests. Something to
think about it. Not everyone flies an expensive glider.

Andrzej -

Good point. *However, I would like to point out that the current club/
sports class prohibits water-ballast, right? *So there's already a
precedent for limiting equipment in specific competition classes. *And
as prices and equipment changes over time, these limitations can be
reviewed and adjusted.

--Noel

I can see yet another sailplane class...."Unlimited Electronics Class "
Old May 13th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

One thing that all of the
various sanctioning bodies (FAI/IGC/NACs) will have to address at some
point is a class that is primarily aimed at lowest possible cost. * In
the US we have the 1-26, but that's not necessarily a long-term or
broad enough solution. * Every other racing sport I can think of has
events and classes that are very specifically aimed at low cost of
entry (Sunfish or equivalent in sailing; all sorts of "stock" classes
in various forms of motor racing). * If "Club Class" starts to mean
$30K or more investment, *to be competitive, then it probably serves
us right if the "racing" aspect of the sport declines.

They did, give them credit. The IGC created the world class, in
response to this sentiment. It was exactly your "sunfish" class. And
pilots around the world resoundly rejected it. They voted with their
wallets, and 18 meter gliders, mostly with motors, are the only things
selling right now. Not even standard or 15m are selling.

It is a great theory. It was tried. And it failed.

John Cochrane

John Cochrane
Old May 13th 11, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_13_]

On May 12, 6:32*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
[...]

BB, man, you are behind the times. All this is here now and for a few
bucks you become a real sailplane racer. Yes sir baby, you download
Condor, you buy TA's new book(he'll even sign it), and stay at home.
You can compete against Frank and you will shortly learn that thermals
are just a key stroke away. Ya, you can fly all day, all nite, any
weather, from one to thermal to another and see where they are all
at. You can even go around the sink and see how low the bottom of the
lift band really is. Make your own weather and even race anywhere you
want in the world. Heck, you can now drink your favorite beverage,
settle back and if it doesn't go as plan, go to your bed and not be in
a tent. No need for Flarm, no need to even look out, as your just a
key stroke from racing again. You can talk all you want, with who ever
you want on Skype, while your racing or not, all for free. No
unsportslike conduct or lost of points to fear.
You can even become mother goose and lead all them duckings around. Be
grateful BB, I am saving you big bucks. You no longer will feel the
agony of defeat, the thrill of victory, or them low saves you been
doing lately. No more outlandings or your trailer getting hit, as it
did in Szeged. NO MORE AIRLINE FOOD. NO MORE TSA.
Since you will be playing Condor now, I problay won't be seeing you at
the 18's, so have a nice summer, ya hear...............

Wurtsboro Soaring Article - say what? Mike[_28_] Soaring 7 November 5th 10 03:26 PM
NYT soaring article Bullwinkle Soaring 1 September 22nd 07 02:15 PM
NYT Soaring Article C Koenig Soaring 0 September 21st 07 02:11 PM
Good Article on Soaring Jim Vincent Soaring 3 June 27th 06 04:42 PM
Soaring Article Mike Soaring 1 June 30th 05 12:58 AM