Adding rudders to Logitech Wingman (can it be done)?

Old February 16th 05, 01:18 AM
Flight Sim newbie

Default Adding rudders to Logitech Wingman (can it be done)?

How can I add rudder pedals to a "Logitech Wingman Attack 2" joystick?
Or, can I add that joystick to a "Logitech Formula GP Racing Wheel"?

I'm a newbie who would like to ask a newbie question (please advise).

To save time in the Citabria 7ECA ($80/hour) at a local airport, I
installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 which has helped me in ground
school, especially for the instrumentation and radio traffic portions.

But the "Logitech Wingman Attack 2" has no rudder pedals.

On the other hand, I bought for my kids the "Logitech Formula GP Racing
Wheel", which does come with two pedals (accelerator & brake) attached
via a telephone connector (which is probably rs-232 serial wired).

I guess I have three questions:
Q1: Has anyone disassembled a Logitech joystick to add the rudder
pedals?
Q2: Is there a joystick which works with the existing rudder pedals?
Q3: Or do I have to go out and buy a third joystick with rudder pedals?

Please advise this Microsoft Flight Simulator newbie.

Old February 16th 05, 01:44 AM
Aaron Smith

"Flight Sim newbie" wrote in
ups.com:

How can I add rudder pedals to a "Logitech Wingman Attack 2" joystick?
Or, can I add that joystick to a "Logitech Formula GP Racing Wheel"?
I'm a newbie who would like to ask a newbie question (please advise).

The best advice of this group is to ditch the toy simulator & go back to
flying the real thing - oh - and we all think you should ditch the tail
dragger too - fly real tricycle gear - it's the only way to fly.
Old February 16th 05, 05:54 AM
Jay Williams

First, ignore Aaron. Who the hell is he? I've been here for years and
never heard of him before. There's always some superior Foxtrot Hotel
wanting to dump, especially if you call yourself a newbie. If MSFS helps
you practice procedures, more power to you. Lots of people have used it for
that purpose. Don't forget however, that flying the real thing feels
different. Lots of people find the real thing easier because of that.

Second, alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim is the best place for help with MSFS
2004, 2002, etc. Lots of helpful people there, many of them "real life"
pilots. In particularly, look for Dudley Henriques... Remarkably few
Foxtrot Hotels... It also has less posts devoted to politics.

Third, the original logitech Wingman Force (with the USB and serial port)
was designed to work with a game port set of rudder pedals. No subsequent
one has been so designed, to my knowledge.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't use rudder pedals with it. You can, and
easily. Plug some rudder pedals in (I recommend the CH Pro Pedals, in USB
flavor... You'll love the toe brakes) You don't need the CH manager
software for this, but it is a great program.

Go into MSFS2004. Click on "settings". In the upper right is the section
for controls. Click on "assignments". At the top, click on the tab for
"axes". Under "joystick type" select your logitech joystick. Where the
axes (plural for axis) are defined, scroll down to "rudder axis". Uncheck
the box. This will disable your twist grip rudder in MSFS 2004

Now go back to "Joystick Type". Select your rudder pedals. Scroll down to
"Rudder Axis" and make sure the box is checked. If you are using the CH Pro
pedals, it will be assigned the Z axis. You can also check the boxes for
Right Brake (y axis) and Left Brake (x axis) as well.

Don't freak out when you notice that the X axis of your logitech stick and Y
axis are assigned to elevator and alieron control and the z axis is the
throttle. Each joystick has an x, y, (and if it's a rudder or has a
throttle) a z axis. That's normal.

If you have other joystick type peripherals, you can assign them the same
way, or change the keystrokes and buttons to activate commands in the game,
etc.

Click OK, then you're good to go. You may want to exit and re-start MSFS
2004 before flying just to make sure your changes are saved.

Have fun.

BTW - your next new peripheral should be the Track IR2. It makes all the
difference in the world with MSFS 2004, especially since the virtual display
in MSFS 2004 is clickable.

ups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 06:48 AM
rob

"Jay Williams" wrote in message

Foxtrot Hotel

Is that anything like a Foxtrot Whiskey?

Old February 16th 05, 02:51 PM
James Calivar

"Aaron Smith" wrote in message
.158...
"Flight Sim newbie" wrote in
ups.com:

How can I add rudder pedals to a "Logitech Wingman Attack 2" joystick?
Or, can I add that joystick to a "Logitech Formula GP Racing Wheel"?
I'm a newbie who would like to ask a newbie question (please advise).

The best advice of this group is to ditch the toy simulator & go back to
flying the real thing - oh - and we all think you should ditch the tail
dragger too - fly real tricycle gear - it's the only way to fly.

Idiot post of the month

Old February 17th 05, 03:09 PM
Not-My-Real-Name

Yes, you can use your wheels brake and throttle pedals as rudders.
My advice would be to download the Logitech controller software and
configure things up before launching your game.
Some games get mixed up when they see two controllers in use as well.

It all depends.

Old February 19th 05, 07:52 AM
Flight Sim newbie

Jay Williams kindly wrote:
... the original logitech Wingman Force (with the USB & serial port)
was designed to work with a game port set of rudder pedals.
No subsequent one has been so designed, to my knowledge.

BUT that doesn't mean you can't use rudder pedals with it.
Plug some rudder pedals in (I recommend the CH Pro Pedals,
in USB flavor... You'll love the toe brakes).

Thank you very much Jay for your time & patience and effort to help.
Do I understand you correctly below?

I definately have a "Logitech Wingman Attack 2" joystick (it says so
right on the base) which has only one wire which is USB. This joystick
has a trigger plus five buttons & one throttle slider. I do not see any
place to plug in any rudder pedals into this joystick (as someone
suggested) so I guess I have to add separate USB rudder-and-brake
pedals as you kindly suggested.

Since the pedals on my kid's "Logitech Formula GP Racing Wheel" use a
tiny telephone hand-set jack (even smaller than a normal telephone
jack), I really don't see how I can attach those existing car-driving
gas-and-brake pedals (unless there is a telephone-to-usb or
telephone-to-serial adapter out there).

So, if I understand you correctly (and if I discount someone else's
suggestion to use the existing pedals), does that mean I should buy the
recommended set of rudder pedals & a USB splitter so I can plug both
the CH Pro rudders and the joystick into the same USB port?

Old February 19th 05, 08:08 AM
Flight Sim newbie

Not-My-Real-Name wrote:
Yes, you can use your wheel's brake & throttle pedals as rudders.

Thank you for your advice to help me simulate a Citabria 7ECA in MSFS.

The only problem with your suggested approach (it seems to me anyway)
is I don't see any way to attach the "Logitech Formula GP Racing Wheel"
separate gas-and-brake pedals to either the "Logitech Wingman Attack 2"
joystick or to the computer because the GP gas-and-brake pedals have
only a telephone connector (the USB part is in the steering wheel). The
steering wheel doesn't seem like a good substitute for a yolk or
joystick either, as it doesn't go up & down the steering column.

Maybe there is a telephone-to-usb or telephone-to-serial adapter so I
can plug the driving gas-and-brake pedals into the computer, but if
there isn't, then I think I'll probably go and add Jay Williams'
suggested USB "CH Pro Pedals" and a USB splitter with the existing
joystick.

So, it seems my best option is:
- Give up on leveraging the (automotive) racing wheel & pedals
- Keep the existing USB joystick
- Buy the "CH Pro Pedals" and a USB splitter
Connect the joystick & pedals first to the 2:1 splitter, then to the
PC.

I guess the other option is to just buy a third unit which combines a
yoke and a set of rudder/brake pedals. The advantage of this option is
the ability to simulate the Cessna 172 (which I might try some day in
the real).

Does anyone have a recommended beginner yoke & rudder combination?

Old February 19th 05, 09:01 AM
Flight Sim newbie

Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
Check Bob Church's site - I believe it's www.stickworks.com. He has
information on adding rudder pedals to the WingMan Attack 2 joystick.

Wow.
Complicated web site.

It will take a while to dig for the specific newbie question.
That site looks like it covers good stuff (almost none of which I
understood as I reviewed the main pages).

But (when I get good at this), it looks like this hint should come in
handy.

It would be nice if www.stickworks.com had a SEARCH button.
One thing I'd like to know is how to run MSFS 2004 without having to
always put the CDROM in (what a pain in the seat of the pants). Yes, I
legally own the 4-disc set ... but I still hate having to put the CDROM
in every time I run the simulator. I'm a messy guy and I always have to
dig around for the disks and I'm worried that I'll scratch it
eventually and be hosed.

Can this web page (which seems extensive) give me a hint on if MSFS2004
can be run without having to load the disk all the time?

Old February 19th 05, 11:15 AM
Mikael K

On 19-Feb-2005, "Flight Sim newbie" wrote:

Maybe there is a telephone-to-us or telephone-to-serial adapter so I
can plug the driving gas-and-brake pedals into the computer, but if
there isn't, then I think I'll probably go and add Jay Williams'
suggested USB "CH Pro Pedals" and a USB splitter with the existing
joystick.

So, it seems my best option is:
- Give up on leveraging the (automotive) racing wheel & pedals
- Keep the existing USB joystick
- Buy the "CH Pro Pedals" and a USB splitter
Connect the joystick & pedals first to the 2:1 splitter, then to the
PC.

Hi Newbie...

Hang on, before rushing out to buy those expensive, but otherwise nice, CH
Pedals...

You CAN use those pedals of yours... together with the stick.
But you have to connect the pedals to the steering-wheel, and thru that to
your computer.

The trick is to configure FS9 to ignore the wheels left/right movement under
joystick assignment.
Then you will have rudders to play with.. ;o)
I have previously posted a guide on how to do it...(I use a similar
setup...)
So hang on, and I will find it and repost.. ;o)

Regards
Mikael K

--
Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)