Attention US Standard Class Pilots

Old February 8th 12, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Attention US Standard Class Pilots

The US competition Rules Committee is considering doing a one time
test of limited handicapping in the Standard Class at the 2012
nationals in Montegue.
This would be done under a waiver.
The objective is to try to improve participation and determine if this
is an effective means of doing so.
All conforming Std gliders may compete as usual. Std class gliders
only.
US handicap list will be used to handicap gliders with a maximum
adjustment of 3 1/2%.
This range is .915 to .950.
Gliders such as Discus, ASW-24, DG300, and LS-4 would get full
adjustment relative to current .915 gliders such as '28, Discus 2,
LS-8.
Gliders with numerical handicaps above .950 get maximum of 3 1/2%
adjustment.
We have done limited informal polling and have good acceptance among
those we have talked to.
We would like input from other Standard class pilots who may be
affected.
Please feel free to comment here and/or directly to me.
UH
US RC Chair

Old February 8th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Feb 8, 9:20*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote:
Hmmm is it just me, or does this sound a lot like "Club Class" ???

Peter

wrote in message

Important differences to club/sports, just to be clear on the facts:

Water allowed
All tasks (unlike sports which doesn't do assigned tasks)
Counts for standard class US team position, not club class
Only standard class gliders allowed
Handicap adjustment limited to LS4. You're welcome to come in a
Standard Cirrus but will get the LS4 handicap

Why: 3 pilots are now signed up for Standard Nationals Montague. Other
ideas for getting participation up are most welcome. Not sure how
"sounds like club class" helps that goal.

John Cochrane
Old February 8th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Feb 8, 8:42*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Feb 8, 9:20*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote: Hmmm is it just me, or does this sound a lot like "Club Class" ???

Peter

wrote in message

*Important differences to club/sports, just to be clear on the facts:

Water allowed
All tasks (unlike sports which doesn't do assigned tasks)
Counts for standard class US team position, not club class
Only standard class gliders allowed
Handicap adjustment limited to LS4. You're welcome to come in a
Standard Cirrus but will get the LS4 handicap

Why: 3 pilots are now signed up for Standard Nationals Montague. Other
ideas for getting participation up are most welcome. Not sure how
"sounds like club class" helps that goal.

John Cochrane

Other things that may have helped but likely too late now is move
Sports and Standard so they don't overlap. Three nationals in the west
and they all overlap. Give them a 4% handicap and let them fly with
18m.

Old February 8th 12, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

wrote in message

*Important differences to club/sports, just to be clear on the facts:

Water allowed
All tasks (unlike sports which doesn't do assigned tasks)
Counts for standard class US team position, not club class
Only standard class gliders allowed
Handicap adjustment limited to LS4. You're welcome to come in a
Standard Cirrus but will get the LS4 handicap

Why: 3 pilots are now signed up for Standard Nationals Montague. Other
ideas for getting participation up are most welcome. Not sure how
"sounds like club class" helps that goal.

John Cochrane

Just a reminder and slight correction John.

Club class is not Sports class and Club class does fly assigned tasks.

Good news about slightly handicapping the Standard class this year.
Old February 8th 12, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 8, 7:38*am, wrote:
The US competition Rules Committee is considering doing a one time
test of limited handicapping in the Standard Class at the 2012
nationals in Montegue.
Please feel free to comment here and/or directly to me.
UH
US RC Chair

I spent many enjoyable years flying an ASW 19b against standard class
gliders one or two generations newer. Not expecting to win did not
stop me showing up at contests. The days I did well were memorable
and the days I did poorly I had a good excuse.

I think I'd vote against this but if it becomes a general rule I'll
consider trading my 28 for a good ASW 19b - with sustantial cash
adjustment of course.

Andy (GY)
Old February 8th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

I'm a relatively new pilot to racing and plan on flying at Montague
this summer. Several other young, eager pilots from my club (Evergreen
Soaring / SGC) would like to race standard class nationals as well,
but have been hesitant to sign up because they feel uncompetitive in a
ship like a DG300. I'm in favor of a limited handicap because I'd
rather have them fly at Montague than go to Parowan for sports nats.

For what it's worth, this won't benefit me since I'll be flying a ship
that doesn't get the proposed handicap.

Chris Young
42DJ

PS: I promise I'll get my act together and sign up.

Old February 8th 12, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Apologies if this posts twice, iPhone is misbehaving...

As a relatively new pilot to racing, who is planning to fly standard
nats at Montague this June, I'm in favor of the handicap. This won't
benefit me since I'll be flying an LS8, but at least two pilots from
my club (Evergreen Soaring / SGC) would like to fly standard nats, but
have hesitated to sign up because they believe they'll be
uncompetitive in a ship like a DG300. I'd rather see them fly at
Montague than get pushed to Parowan.

Chris Young
42DJ

PS: I promise to get my act together and sign up ASAP.
Old February 8th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 8, 1:48*pm, Chris wrote:
I'm a relatively new pilot to racing and plan on flying at Montague
this summer. Several other young, eager pilots from my club (Evergreen
Soaring / SGC) would like to race standard class nationals as well,
but have been hesitant to sign up because they feel uncompetitive in a
ship like a DG300. I'm in favor of a limited handicap because I'd
rather have them fly at Montague than go to Parowan for sports nats.

For what it's worth, this won't benefit me since I'll be flying a ship
that doesn't get the proposed handicap.

Chris Young
42DJ

PS: I promise I'll get my act together and sign up.

What kind of glider do you fly?
UH
Old February 8th 12, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

On Feb 8, 12:57*pm, wrote:
On Feb 8, 1:48*pm, Chris wrote:

I'm a relatively new pilot to racing and plan on flying at Montague
this summer. Several other young, eager pilots from my club (Evergreen
Soaring / SGC) would like to race standard class nationals as well,
but have been hesitant to sign up because they feel uncompetitive in a
ship like a DG300. I'm in favor of a limited handicap because I'd
rather have them fly at Montague than go to Parowan for sports nats.

For what it's worth, this won't benefit me since I'll be flying a ship
that doesn't get the proposed handicap.

Chris Young
42DJ

PS: I promise I'll get my act together and sign up.

What kind of glider do you fly?
UH

UH:

I fly an LS8.

Chris
42DJ

Attention Region 12 Pilots! [email protected] Soaring 0 January 4th 12 07:19 AM
next gen standard class? ric375 Soaring 7 February 3rd 10 11:15 PM
USA: Attention New York State Pilots Tim Hanke Soaring 0 June 28th 06 08:06 PM
Attention French Pilots! MK Soaring 1 November 8th 04 07:10 PM
US Standard Class and World Class Nationals at Hobbs Ken Sorenson Soaring 7 July 16th 04 04:03 AM