Important message for SSA members

Old September 1st 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C. Dianne Black-Nixon

Default Important message for SSA members

SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at www.ssa.org for an important message
regarding the Society.

C. Dianne Black-Nixon
Chairman of the Board of the Soaring Society of America

Old September 1st 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

C. Dianne Black-Nixon wrote:
SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at www.ssa.org for an important message
regarding the Society.

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me. Text below. ]

Message from the SSA Chairman

September 1, 2006

Dear SSA Member:

As Chairman of the SSA Board of Directors, I am committed to keeping
members fully informed regarding all issues relating to our Society, and
must now report some serious societal financial problems, and actions
the Executive Committee has taken to deal with them.

On August 5 th 2006, I notified the Board of Directors that the
Executive Committee had been informed by the SSA Executive Director,
Dennis Wright, that the Society had not filed federal tax-exempt
information returns with the Internal Revenue Service since 2002. In the
past, Johnson, Miller & Co. PC, CPA, our outside accounting firm,
prepared SSA’s returns. Both Dennis Wright and James Francis, a
principal of Johnson, Miller & Co., reported to the Executive Committee
that this omission was due to our Chief Financial and Administrative
Officer, Alan Gleason, not providing sufficient financial data required
by Johnson, Miller & Co. to prepare the returns. The Executive Committee
immediately asked Johnson, Miller & Co. to come to the SSA’s office and
obtain all the requisite data to enable them to do so.

On August 17, 2006, Mr. Wright reported to the Executive Committee that
during the gathering of information to prepare the delinquent returns,
Mr. Francis had discovered that the SSA had not submitted federal
payroll withholding, social security or Medicare, as well as New Mexico
state withholding taxes for at least five quarters beginning in 2003.
Although payments were made for other quarters, SSA did not file
appropriate returns for at least twelve quarters. Additionally, the
financial statements, specifically the balance sheets presented to the
Board and the membership, did not reflect the unpaid taxes as
liabilities of the Society. At this time, it is not known whether
anything else is inaccurate in the balance sheets, however, further
investigation is ongoing.

The Executive Committee immediately retained an outside attorney and
investigated the situation. On August 23, 2006 Mr. Gleason claimed that
a lack of available cash on hand caused him to decide to not pay the
taxes when due. When questioned, he admitted not to have made anyone
else, including the Board, aware of such decisions. The Executive
Committee placed Mr. Gleason on paid administrative leave until such
time as all information required to submit the state and federal tax
returns is ascertained and it is determined exactly what federal and
state taxes are due. Once those issues are resolved, appropriate further
action regarding Mr. Gleason will be considered. Measures to protect SSA
funds and other assets have already been put in place, as has an interim
system to control SSA financial matters.

While accurate figures have not yet been derived, it appears that the
actual tax liability could be between $200,000 and $300,000 which with
the addition of interest and, to the extent not mitigated, penalties,
could total as much as $600,000.

This obviously signals a potentially catastrophic situation. The
Executive Committee intends to have a thorough and independent financial
investigation conducted to ascertain, among other things, the reasons
for the apparent cash shortfall.

To the best of its ability, the SSA will pay all applicable taxes,
penalties and interest imposed by state and federal governments. Doing
so will strain Society finances to the limit, however the SSA can borrow
from certain unrestricted funds within the SSA Foundation. To place our
Society on a sound financial footing going forward, significant
reductions in services must occur. A task force of present and former
SSA Board members has already been established to assist the Board in
this regard.

The situation I have described above is clearly the single most serious
challenge the Society has faced in its 75 year history. Please
understand that SSA leadership is totally committed to reaching a
successful resolution to this problem, but doing so will require
significant continued support by the membership. SSA members have a long
history of aiding the Society when most needed. I hope I can rely on you
personally to support your SSA leaders during this extremely difficult
time, as we strive to bring these matters to a successful resolution.
Our goals are to meet our financial obligations to state and federal
governments and to transform what has always been a struggling
organization operating “on a knife-edge” into one that is financially
strong, and that meets your needs as a member.

To save costs, all subsequent communications from me regarding these
important issues will be posted on the members-only section of the SSA
website and in SSA e-News. You may contact your Regional Director, other
members of the Executive Committee, or me directly should you have
further questions.

Sincerely yours,

Old September 1st 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
C. Dianne Black-Nixon wrote:
SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at www.ssa.org for an important message
regarding the Society.

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me. Text below. ]

Possibly because they don't want this spread all over the internet?
But, then again, you already took care of that....

Old September 1st 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus[_1_]

Probably because it is an internal matter... Not that I would expect it
to stay internal but nobody in his right mind in the corporate world
would post something like this on a public board... If your club is in
trouble like this I doubt the club's board would post it publicly
either yet anybody with interest in the club will know very soon one
way or another. Same here, you just take care of that :-)

Markus

Old September 1st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

They could just increase our yearly membership dues by $20 each for
just this one year and take care of it in a jiffy.

Ray

Old September 1st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

wrote:
Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
C. Dianne Black-Nixon wrote:
SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at
www.ssa.org for an important message
regarding the Society.

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me. Text below. ]

Possibly because they don't want this spread all over the internet?
But, then again, you already took care of that....

If they were that concerned about it "getting out" I'd have expected
them subject to say "Important Message for SSA Members ONLY" or some
sort of "not for redistribution" statement in the notice.

But instead they posted it to a world-wide message board at roughly the
same time that it hit my inbox too.

I'd think they'd rather have the real message out in public rather than
rumor and speculation (which r.a.s is *so* good at).

Who knows. Maybe a non-SSA member soaring enthusiast will have one of
the ideas needed to solve the problem.

Jeremy
Old September 1st 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
C. Dianne Black-Nixon wrote:
SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at www.ssa.org for an important message
regarding the Society.

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me.

Probably because it is SSA business, and this is a public, not an SSA,
site.

Jack
Old September 1st 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me. Text below. ]

It was a test, Jeremy. I hear SSA is adding a new award category this
year: "Most Undeserving Member of the Year." And you just made it into
the finals along with Alan Gleason.

Next time you feel something is "beyond me," take some time (2-3
minutes?) to think it through. Perhaps there is a good reason.

I agree, this was bound to make it out into the public domain fairly
quickly. But this must set some kind of record.

Thanks to the SSA Board for timely disclosure to the members as well as
prompt and decisive action. It's a distressing story that raises some
difficult and embarrassing questions. But the approach taken this time
around offers more promise that this crisis will be professionally
managed and we members will get answers to those questions.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old September 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Jeremy,

You just won the Bill Engvall award too..

"Here's your sign!"

Larry Goddard

"01" Zero One USA

Old September 1st 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
C. Dianne Black-Nixon wrote:
SSA Members,

Please visit the SSA homepage at www.ssa.org for an important message
regarding the Society.

[ Why it's not posted here is beyond me. Text below. ]

Not to get pedantic, but one of the primary purposes of hyperlinks is
avoiding version control problems. So, in fact, it's quite appropriate
for the SSA to direct us to the website for the official story.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3