What percentage have a power pilot license?

Old October 31st 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What percentage have a power pilot license?

Hi all, I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and start
flying. I thought about going straight for a private glider license.
But, I do have the option of going for the powered pilot license first
- then the glider license second. Any thoughts? How many here have
both? Did you get your powered pilot license first?

cheers, Victor

Old October 31st 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

You wilo be a better pilot if you learn to fly gliders first. Power
pilots often (but not always) have difficulty transitioning to gliders.
It seldom happens the other way around. It is two different kinds of
flying.

Old October 31st 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I suspect a significant number of glider pilots also have a power license,
but I wouldn't guess the majority do.

I've always thought gliders were beautiful and interesting. When I got my
power license first, I though gliders were not so useful - - get towed up,
then glider back down. Yeah, I was clueless.

After flying power for 8 years, I found most of my flying was just for fun,
boring holes in the sky in a little biplane or antique Aeronca. That got me
thinking about soaring. As someone already said, two totally different ways
to fly, and I love both.

With a power plane, when you approach a raptor, he'll fold his wings and
dive away. With a glider, he'll accept you and even fly off your wing tip.
Awesome!

bumper
ups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maule Driver

The day after I graduated from college, I started flying both. Building
on my 15hours of pre-college power training during the week. Gliders
on the weekend.

Gliders hooked me but I continued with both. Got the glider ticket
first, power not long after.

I dropped the power and flew gliders for 15 years.

Then I dropped gliders and now fly power only (10years).

If your wallet can stand it, I recommend trying both and seeing what
sticks. It may have to do as much with the FBO/club situation as it
does with the type of flying. Variety is good.

Old October 31st 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

There is another option.....Glider first and then a Motor Glider
endorsement.
You will simplify your training and cost significantly and still be
able to go places when the lift has departed.

Ray

Old October 31st 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Marc Ramsey wrote:
wrote:
Hi all, I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and start
flying. I thought about going straight for a private glider license.
But, I do have the option of going for the powered pilot license first
- then the glider license second. Any thoughts? How many here have
both? Did you get your powered pilot license first?

I suggest getting the glider license first for these (not well
researched) reasons:

* getting a glider license first requires a more thorough training in
gliders, gliding, and soaring

* getting the power license first runs the risk of later getting the
"typical" add-on glider rating (doesn't have to be that way, but it's
common, I think)

* some of your glider time and training can be applied to your power
training, reducing the cost and time required to get it without (my
experience) significanly affecting the quality of the training

Glider license first, power license 20 years later, flew power for a
couple of years, decided it was expensive and boring, haven't flown
power since...

My experience was exactly the same as Marc's, about 25 years ago. Now
there are ways to combine the two with much less compromise than before.
For example, the Stemme is the BIG$ way to have a good airplane and a
good glider, the Carat can do the same for one person with less$ and
less (but still good) performance in both modes, and the Katana/Ximango
types may also be satisfactory if more airplane and less glider suits
your needs.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old October 31st 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

I suggest the best way is to do power first and then
power.
The cheapest way is to do power first and then glider.

By the time you have covered all the requirements for
the power ticket you will have flown the required number
of hours any way;, without counting any of the glider
hours, so no savings will accrue. On the other hand
if you have the power license already, the requirements
for getting the glider license are much reduced. I
don't believe this is a good thing, necessarily; the
course can become too abbreviated and you won't be
taught as much about how to really be an efficient
glider pilot.

I think it is not a good idea to try both simultaneously;
one will affect the judgment of the other adversely
when you are in the learning stage.

At 18:43 31 October 2006, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

'Transponders in Sailplanes' on the Soaring Safety
Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

'A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation' at
www.motorglider.org

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Get a glider license first. Period. And then if you still want to get
the power stuff; either get the simple PPL or get all the nine yards.

I started flying in gliders in 1980. Always wanted to fly power. After
I started flying power I said I'll never fly gliders again. It was
interesting to get the commercial, instrument, CFI and all the other
"garbage". I gave up flying sailplanes for almost 10 years. But I have
been flying them ever since and can't get enough. There is much more
challenge, requirement for more precise pilotage and much, much
more....how about this: flying airplanes becomes boring after while. It
is just like driving. That's my 2 cents....

Jacek
Pasco, WA

Old October 31st 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

Hi Victor,

Power Pilot since Dec-1976 (ASEL/Ins)
Glider Pilot since May-2006
VERY Happy 304CZ Owner since July-2006

Nothing has ever pegged my "fun meter" like soaring. It is honestly
the most challenging flying that I have ever done....and the most
rewarding.

IMHO: Get your glider license first and then power - I believe you will
be a better over all pilot.

Just my 2 cents.

FC Norton