ENvironmentally Friendly Inter City Aircraft powered by Fuel Cells

Old June 6th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Default American decline in tech was: ENvironmentally Friendly ...

"kontiki" == kontiki writes:
kontiki I'm an engineer too Bob. Taxpayers have spent many
kontiki millions for special development projects over the
kontiki years. What I would find interesting is to know if any of
kontiki them ever made a dime out of their "investment".

You aren't much of an engineer if you don't know the origin of the
Internet, just one example to your implied question above.

kontiki When you have to convince a group of private investers to
kontiki put up a lot of money for R&D of a potential new product
kontiki you have to do a lot of homewrok to convince them that
kontiki what you are doing will end up a viable product.

And you don't understand the origins of engineering either. You think
private is going to invest in fundamental science discovery?

Private investment and companies have a place. Government has a
place. What doesn't have a place in an industrial, or post-industrial,
democratic society is leaders ignorant of the scientific process,
unable and unwilling to try to understand other opinions, and
examine--or even acknowledge--that other countries are doing well for
their people without all the dogmatism and blind faith crap. But that
requires using the frontal cortex, an energy-intensive activity, and
strange to the back-slapping, glad-handing bozos so often running
things now.
--
If you are a happy employee does that make you 'gruntled' ?
- Jack Handey

Old June 7th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Jim Logajan wrote:
kontiki wrote:

Really good engineers can pretty much name their own salary.
I've interviewed dozens that put a lot of buzz words on a resume and
really didn't know squat.

What engineering discipline are you trained and licensed in?

Software... systems architecture and database design, real time.

I've never been required to be "licensed".
Old June 7th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Bob Fry wrote:

"kontiki" == kontiki writes:

kontiki I'm an engineer too Bob. Taxpayers have spent many
kontiki millions for special development projects over the
kontiki years. What I would find interesting is to know if any of
kontiki them ever made a dime out of their "investment".

You aren't much of an engineer if you don't know the origin of the
Internet, just one example to your implied question above.

Oh come on Bob, give me a break. I can see now it is impossible
to have a conversation with you.

kontiki When you have to convince a group of private investers to
kontiki put up a lot of money for R&D of a potential new product
kontiki you have to do a lot of homewrok to convince them that
kontiki what you are doing will end up a viable product.

And you don't understand the origins of engineering either. You think
private is going to invest in fundamental science discovery?

Private investment and companies have a place. Government has a
place. What doesn't have a place in an industrial, or post-industrial,
democratic society is leaders ignorant of the scientific process,
unable and unwilling to try to understand other opinions, and
examine--or even acknowledge--that other countries are doing well for
their people without all the dogmatism and blind faith crap.

Blaind faith crap? Oh you mean all those wonderful promises of
'universal health care' and so forth all the politicians keep
talking about? HAhahahahaaa

But that
requires using the frontal cortex, an energy-intensive activity, and
strange to the back-slapping, glad-handing bozos so often running
things now.

Yeah... the glad-handing bozos in Washington DC. I give up with you.

Old June 7th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 6, 4:54 pm, Bob Fry wrote:
"kontiki" == kontiki writes:

[...]

Bob,

Don't waste your breath on Kontiki. He is a smug know-it-all who
thinks that he has all the answers. Read all his posts and you will
see what I mean. I have met too many geeks like him in our
profession. He thinks he has all the answers until the day the axe
falls on his neck and then he will scream louder than anyone else.

Dean

Old June 7th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, kontiki posted:

Neil Gould wrote:

One of the most disappointing thing about last night's Republican
"debate" was the number of candidates that are completely clueless
about what science is and is not.

Oh I totally agree... and so are all the democrat candidates. Most
of your politicians in Washington are totally cluless about a lot
of things, not just technology. We need some fresh meat/// people
who have held actual real jobs, or run companies.

Considering how many companies are run, I don't think that would help
much. Take a look at the US auto industry for a hint of how to do things
stupidly. They only had a couple of decades to get a clue.

Neil

Old June 7th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"kontiki" == kontiki writes:

kontiki Software... systems architecture and database design,
kontiki real time.

That is not an engineering discipline.

It's certainly a valuable technical discipline, and even has a
sprinkling of science in it (relational DB theory), but it's not
engineering.
--
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.
- Jack Handey

Old June 7th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

On Jun 6, 3:25 pm, kontiki wrote:

Really good engineers can pretty much name their own salary.
I've interviewed dozens that put a lot of buzz words on a resume and
really didn't know squat.

If you or anyone else who actually hires engineers has anything
constructive to say about
the holes in American engineering education, as one of the people who
can actually do
something about it, I want to hear the suggestions.

Please note that for email contact, I'm now at cal state northridge
(csun) rather than utdallas.

RW Mehler, Ph.D.
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
California State University Northridge

Old June 7th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Stem cell research is not illegal in the US.

I stand corrected. It was my impression that it was not possible to
obtain any but a few stem cell lines here in the US. Since stem cell
lines are rather critical in doing stem cell research, it is better to
go offshore.

So, do you have another example of scientific research that is being moved
offshore because it is illegal in the US?

Research in illegal drugs comes to mind (marijuana for cancer, for
example). I don't know if this is being "moved offshore" or not however.

Research in evolution... well, it's not illegal in most states, but
teaching it is illegal in some states (or is bundled with teaching
superstition as science). Lose the researchers to superstition when
they are young, and you won't have to make research illegal. Nobody
will even know what research =is=.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old June 7th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 6, 7:46 pm, Bob Fry wrote:
"kontiki" == kontiki writes:

kontiki Software... systems architecture and database design,
kontiki real time.

That is not an engineering discipline.

It's certainly a valuable technical discipline, and even has a
sprinkling of science in it (relational DB theory), but it's not
engineering.
--
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.
- Jack Handey

Bob,

I agree. Software architecture and database design is not
engineering. It is a technical trade.

Dean

Old June 7th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

Much of the private-sector research of the kind that used to be done
by Bell Labs is no more, a victim of tax laws. There is plenty of
government-funded research a-la NASA, Sandia, and Universities.

Research may go offshore at some point, but the new capitalists in
eastern Europe, China, and India need to pick the low-hanging fruit
associated with cheap development and manufacturing engineering before
they can look at stuff that takes decades to pay off.

There is a shift in sources of innovation to the extent that it lies
in the intersections between academic discipllines, rather than in the
depths of the disciplines themselves, and some North American
universities seem to be in the process of sorting that out.

Don

Fuel Cells? Doug Haluza Soaring 14 April 4th 06 04:32 AM
Rubber fuel cells Mike Rapoport Owning 15 September 17th 05 12:54 PM
Powered gliders = powered aircraft for 91.205 Mark James Boyd Soaring 2 December 12th 04 04:28 AM
Diamond Aircraft on Hydrogen Fuel Cells Raul Ruiz Piloting 1 July 13th 03 11:27 PM