What is a good desktop Simulaor?

Old August 27th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Angelo Campanella

Default What is a good desktop Simulaor?

Fish wrote:
It's especially good for that. Since there's no physical movement and limited
visiblity, it's less useful for VFR. But since IFR is all about watching the
instruments, and since the instruments are simulated quite well in FS, it can
be very useful for IFR (even though it's not certified by the FAA).

Yea, but the problem I have with IFR in FS9 is that the flight controller
cancels my flight plan if I don't maintain my altitude within 300ft. or
something like that. Wish there was an option to turn that rule off or the
game gives you more time to get back to correct altitude before it cancels
the flight plan.

Yep. Life sucks. But in the real world, ATC gets squirrely like that as
far as real altitude is concerned. In real life, the flight plan is not
cancelled, but a stern warning of "violation" soon follows, and possible
administrtive woe for the pilot for months following, unless correction
is immediate if not sooner.

Ang. C.
..

Old August 27th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Mxsmanic

Fish writes:

Yea, but the problem I have with IFR in FS9 is that the flight controller
cancels my flight plan if I don't maintain my altitude within 300ft. or
something like that. Wish there was an option to turn that rule off or the
game gives you more time to get back to correct altitude before it cancels
the flight plan.

You can use VATSIM to have actual human controllers to guide you instead of
computer-generated stuff, which eliminates the problems you describe. Like
real-world controllers, they don't cancel your IFR flight plan just because
you stray off course or away from your altitude.

I sympathize with your complaint, and that is a major pet peeve of mine with
the computer-generated ATC in the sim (I don't use it much any more--if I want
ATC as I fly, I use VATSIM).
Old August 28th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Fish[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:00:05 +0000, angelo Campanella wrote:

Yep. Life sucks. But in the real world, ATC gets squirrely like that as
far as real altitude is concerned. In real life, the flight plan is not
cancelled, but a stern warning of "violation" soon follows, and possible
administrtive woe for the pilot for months following, unless correction
is immediate if not sooner.

Ang. C.
.

Yea, but in RL when flying a 747 you get a co-pilot to help out. No such
luck in FS9.
Old August 28th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Fish[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:14:13 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

You can use VATSIM to have actual human controllers to guide you instead of
computer-generated stuff, which eliminates the problems you describe. Like
real-world controllers, they don't cancel your IFR flight plan just because
you stray off course or away from your altitude.

I sympathize with your complaint, and that is a major pet peeve of mine with
the computer-generated ATC in the sim (I don't use it much any more--if I want
ATC as I fly, I use VATSIM).

Never tried VATSIM but perhaps I will one of these days. Just never
considered that as a fun MP game, maybe it is though. Thanks.

I'm fine with IFR so long as I use the autopilot controls to set course,
altitude etc.
Old September 22nd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Fish writes:

Yea, but the problem I have with IFR in FS9 is that the flight
controller cancels my flight plan if I don't maintain my altitude
within 300ft. or something like that. Wish there was an option to
turn that rule off or the game gives you more time to get back to
correct altitude before it cancels the flight plan.

You can use VATSIM to have actual human controllers to guide you
instead of computer-generated stuff, which eliminates the problems you
describe. Like real-world controllers, they don't cancel your IFR
flight plan just because you stray off course or away from your
altitude.

I sympathize with your complaint, and that is a major pet peeve of
mine with the computer-generated ATC in the sim (I don't use it much
any more--if I want ATC as I fly, I use VATSIM).

A: you don't fly, fjukkwit. and

B:

Controllers?

Bwahawhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahhwhahwhahwhahwha!

Bertie
Old September 22nd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

angelo Campanella writes:

So I went out and spent just over 20 bucks (with tax) and installed
it this eveing. All I can say is that it's come a long way, baby
(since FS5). It seem to have all I need for IFR practice.

It's especially good for that. Since there's no physical movement and
limited visiblity, it's less useful for VFR. But since IFR is all
about watching the instruments, and since the instruments are
simulated quite well in FS, it can be very useful for IFR (even though
it's not certified by the FAA).

I mounted he Mooney (like my acft) ans am now getting familiar. but
the yoke I have (a Logictec Wingman) has a very sqirrely rudder. The
rudder is all over the place! I can't tell whether it is the pot
inside or bad logic somewhere. Taxiing is a menace, and takeoffs a
pain in the butt.

Consider getting a set of pedals. It makes flying the sim a lot more
enjoyable, especially for VFR. I use the Saitek X52 joystick and
throttle, plus the Saitek pedals.

Also, consider getting payware add-on aircraft. Many of the payware
add-ons are so good that using them is almost like getting a new,
upgraded simulator, and they match the real aircraft exactly in
appearance and almost perfectly in behavior, particularly for
instrument flight. RealityXP makes a set of Garmin GPS units that
behave _exactly_ like the real things (because they use Garmin's own
software), and you can practice on the sim and then use the same GPS
unit in real life without missing a beat.

My favorite aircraft for GA is Dreamfleet's Beechcraft Baron 58, but
if you fly a Mooney there's probably someone else out there who has an
ultrarealistic version of that. (Not that the default FS9 aircraft
are _unrealistic_, but the add-ons are in a class by themselves.)

God you're even more pathetic than I thought.

Bertie