ABC News - Flying is a US Freedom

Old October 29th 05, 07:29 PM
Private

Default ABC News - Flying is a US Freedom

"Sylvain" wrote in message
Private wrote:
Ah yes, more geographic chauvinism, from the country that most seeks to
exert it's influence beyond its border.

well, exerting one's influence beyond one's borders is a sure
way to learn about geography...

--Sylvain

Agreed. In a globalized world we must resist a narrow or parochial word
view. What we can't see or understand does affect us.

Happy landings,

Old October 29th 05, 07:50 PM
Stubby

Sylvain wrote:
Private wrote:

Ah yes, more geographic chauvinism, from the country that most seeks
to exert it's influence beyond its border.

well, exerting one's influence beyond one's borders is a sure
way to learn about geography...

--Sylvain

Not to mention a seat in the U.N., spending US money.
Old October 29th 05, 08:17 PM
Private

"Private" wrote in message

correction ----world

Old October 30th 05, 01:52 AM
Ken Chaddock

Stubby wrote:

Sylvain wrote:

Private wrote:

Ah yes, more geographic chauvinism, from the country that most seeks
to exert it's influence beyond its border.

well, exerting one's influence beyond one's borders is a sure
way to learn about geography...

--Sylvain

Not to mention a seat in the U.N., spending US money.

What US money ? Last I heard you guys were about 10 years in arrears to
the UN...did G.W. finally pay up ?

....Ken
Old October 30th 05, 02:35 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:52:58 GMT, Ken Chaddock
wrote in KPU8f.90844$Io.78295@clgrps13::

Last I heard you guys were about 10 years in arrears to
the UN...did G.W. finally pay up ?

Actually, I believe communications mogul Ted Turner pledged $1 billion
toward paying the US arrearage to the UN.
Old October 30th 05, 04:43 AM
Jay Honeck

Last I heard you guys were about 10 years in arrears to
the UN...did G.W. finally pay up ?

Actually, I believe communications mogul Ted Turner pledged $1 billion
toward paying the US arrearage to the UN.

Heh. I'd forgotten that.

I wonder if he ever paid up?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 05, 09:58 AM
Cub Driver

wrote:

Not to mention a seat in the U.N., spending US money.

What US money ? Last I heard you guys were about 10 years in arrears to
the UN...did G.W. finally pay up ?

Yes, indeed.

The UN does indeed run largely on the generosity of American
taxpayers, paying about a quarter of its overall expenses. See
http://usinfo.state.gov/is/Archive/2...15-489155.html

The United States is the largest financial contributor to the U.N.,
and has been every year since its creation in 1945. U.S. contributions
to the U.N. system in 2003 were well over $3 billion. In-kind
contributions include items such as food donations for the World Food
Program.

The U.S.-assessed contribution to the U.N. regular budget in 2003 was
$341 million, and to U.N. specialized agencies was over $400 million.
The United States also contributed $686 million in assessments to the
peacekeeping budget; $57 million for the support of the international
war crimes tribunals for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia; and, $6
million for preparatory work relating to the Capital Master Plan to
renovate the U.N. Headquarters in New York. Moreover, each year the
United States provides a significant amount in voluntary contributions
to the U.N. and its affiliated agencies and activities, largely for
humanitarian and development programs.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old October 30th 05, 11:50 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 04:58:17 -0500, Cub Driver usenet AT danford DOT net
wrote:

$57 million for the support of the international
war crimes tribunals for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia;

a nation not beeing part of the international court should be very quiet,
shut up or take responsibility.

and, $6
million for preparatory work relating to the Capital Master Plan to
renovate the U.N. Headquarters in New York.

*wow* ... a nation with more than 200 million people doing so. *clap-clap*
.... we are 8 million people and we do the same here in Vienna. *bah* and we
don't make much ado about it. we simply do it.

#m

--
Repeat an assertion four times and it becomes a fact. Repeat an assertion
four times and it becomes a fact. Repeat an assertion four times and it