extra GA traffic noticed

Old February 16th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
daffy

Default extra GA traffic noticed

The Bay Area has more small plane traffic this week.
I notice more out of state "N" numbers on those planes
flying, creating more NOISE.
It must be the all the bad weather back east causing
all the small planes to fly above me.

Old February 16th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"daffy" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Bay Area has more small plane traffic this week.
I notice more out of state "N" numbers on those planes
flying, creating more NOISE.

Noise is not "created", it's "produced".

Matter and Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Sound is a form of energy,
simply converted from another form of energy.

I don't remember the exact definition of noise, vs sound, but the sound made
by small aircraft is more like music than noise to me.

Old February 17th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

daffy writes:

The Bay Area has more small plane traffic this week.
I notice more out of state "N" numbers on those planes
flying, creating more NOISE.
It must be the all the bad weather back east causing
all the small planes to fly above me.

AVWeb says this is going to be a record year for general aviation.

Old February 17th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

Noise is not "created", it's "produced".

The two terms are synonymous.

Matter and Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Sound is a form of energy,
simply converted from another form of energy.

No. Sound is a pressure gradient that moves over time.

I don't remember the exact definition of noise, vs sound, but the sound made
by small aircraft is more like music than noise to me.

All audible noise is sound, but not all sound is noise.

Small aircraft are unusually noisy, compared to their larger cousins. I
believe it comes mostly from propellers, especially when their blade tips
approach transonic speeds, and from engines, which don't seem to have much in
the way of noise-muffling equipment.

Old February 17th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

The Bay Area has more small plane traffic this week.
I notice more out of state "N" numbers on those planes
flying, creating more NOISE.
It must be the all the bad weather back east causing
all the small planes to fly above me.

Ok daffy,

It really wasn't a great joke, but it would have been moderately funny if
you had not "gilded the lilly" with that NOISE crap.

Peter

Old February 17th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

an out od state n number? how can you tell.. are you looking each one up on
the FAA Web?

oups.com...

Old February 17th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

AVWeb says this is going to be a record year for general aviation.

That's measuring the dollar value of new aircraft sales.

Look at the numbers, and you'll see that sales are a tiny fraction of
what they were in the 1970s.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 17th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

AVWeb says this is going to be a record year for general aviation.

That's measuring the dollar value of new aircraft sales.

Look at the numbers, and you'll see that sales are a tiny fraction of
what they were in the 1970s.

Maybe if the prices were lower, more aircraft would be sold.

But I suppose airplane manufacterers care about total income, not the number
of aircraft sold.

I guess you just have to be even more rich now to fly than in the past.

Old February 17th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Jay Honeck writes:

AVWeb says this is going to be a record year for general aviation.

That's measuring the dollar value of new aircraft sales.

Look at the numbers, and you'll see that sales are a tiny fraction of
what they were in the 1970s.

Maybe if the prices were lower, more aircraft would be sold.

But I suppose airplane manufacterers care about total income, not the number
of aircraft sold.

I guess you just have to be even more rich now to fly than in the past.

Gee, why didn't they think of that? Just make the planes cheaper to make and
they'll sell more!

Old February 17th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Owen writes:

Gee, why didn't they think of that? Just make the planes cheaper to make and
they'll sell more!

Do you really think they are selling them at cost now?