New student pilot

Old September 9th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard Carpenter

Default New student pilot

Hello everyone. I've been hanging out in the MS Flight Simulator group
for a while, enjoying my recently found interest in aviation such that
my means would allow. MSFS is a fine product, even though it doesn't
compare to the real thing, of course.

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

--
Rich

Old September 9th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Richard Carpenter" wrote in message
ups.com...

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

Welcome!

Vaughn

Old September 9th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Richard Carpenter wrote:
Hello everyone. I've been hanging out in the MS Flight Simulator group
for a while, enjoying my recently found interest in aviation such that
my means would allow. MSFS is a fine product, even though it doesn't
compare to the real thing, of course.

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

--
Rich

Welcome aboard and congratulations on choosing such a fine bride. :-)
Please post here as you progress with your training. There are many
people here who will try and be of any assistance possible.
About actual dual instruction and Microsoft Flight Simulator; you might
gain some initial insight from an article I did for Simflight concerning
this exact issue.
You can find a link for that article at www.simflight.com on the main
page right margin.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 9th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

Welcome aboard, Rich!

Your wife sounds a lot like mine, except that when I wanted to take
flight lessons, I sent my wife up on the Discovery Flight, figuring
that if SHE got hooked, I'd be home free. And I was...

;-)

Four years after getting my ticket, she got hers -- and we've spent
the last 12 years exploring the continent by air. I hope you find as
much enjoyment and success flying as we have!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 9th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

"Richard Carpenter" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello everyone. I've been hanging out in the MS Flight Simulator group
for a while, enjoying my recently found interest in aviation such that
my means would allow. MSFS is a fine product, even though it doesn't
compare to the real thing, of course.

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

--
Rich

AWESOME! Welcome to the group.

I spent many an hour flying MSFS. While you'll never learn to land in
there, start playing with the VOR and instrument navigation (if you haven't
already). You can learn TONS at penny's per hour that way.

I'm still mid-PPL training myself. Just got my medical straightend back out.
Take a look at my road from 0 hours till now at http://n1451f.blogspot.com

Have FUN!

jf

Old September 9th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

You're sport pilot instructor?
Please post about the check ride. I' working on mine and wonder how much is
really covered on the check ride and how precidse you have to be. In the
rear seat of the aircraft I fly, you can not see a single instrument.

"Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim" wrote in message
You've got a great wife! My husband got me into flying too, sort of
accidentally. He gave me an intro flight in an ultralight for my birthday
(60th, not 40th), thinking I'd go up and that would be the end of it.
Well,
no, it wasn't. I knew immediately I had to learn how to fly. So I took
ultralight flight lessons, learned to fly ultralights, got my instructor's
rating, and flew ULs for a few years. I bought both and single place UL
and
a 2-place trainer. Then decided to go for my Private Pilot's certificate,
which I got when I was 67. I'm now 72, fly both ULs and small Cessnas
(rented), and have the time of my life flying. Have a wonderful time
learning to fly! Nothing is more fun! Blue skies and tail winds.

Martha

Old September 9th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Richard Carpenter wrote:
Hello everyone. I've been hanging out in the MS Flight Simulator group
for a while, enjoying my recently found interest in aviation such that
my means would allow. MSFS is a fine product, even though it doesn't
compare to the real thing, of course.

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

Welcome aboard. Stick with your flight training, 2 or 3 flights a week
is best if you can fit it in, particularly at first. Enjoy your
training, but don't forget to look at the window once in a while and
just admire the view. It is the best seat in any house!

And buy your wife some flowers as a thank you. :-)

KC
Old September 9th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Zaroc Stone

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 01:16:39 -0000, Richard Carpenter
wrote:

Hello everyone. I've been hanging out in the MS Flight Simulator group
for a while, enjoying my recently found interest in aviation such that
my means would allow. MSFS is a fine product, even though it doesn't
compare to the real thing, of course.

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

To be sure to treat most excellent wife well. They cause many
break-ups between the pilot and his craft. My first was not
enthusiastic about flying. If we were going somewhere that was Ok,
but to fly around and visit the aviation community as I enjoyed, she
wasn't into it. After a Commercial rating, the next step was likely
our ending. She was never comfortable in the IFR enviroment. The last
ride was from Burwell, Nebraska to Denver. We had to either travel 3
hours around a squal line of thunderstorms or trust ATC who offered to
steer us through them. The cells were separated. I though the ride
was fantastic, passing through them and landing IFR at Stapleton
airport where we kept the Mooney. My wife was not impressed.

When we separated and was into the divorce mode, she once told me that
"her lawyer said" that there were 3 parts of the marriage; the house,
the airplane and the bills. She then related that I would get all the
bills, she gets the house and her lawyer gets the airplane. We owned
a 1967 Mooney S-21 at the time.

Well, that didn't happen quite that way. She lost her sanity and I
had to go after custody of the kids. I decided to give up flying
since the kids needed at least one parent who would be with them
through their growing up years. I raised both girls to age 16. The
oldest tried living with her once and that didn't last. The youngest
tried at 16 and managed to stay with her until she moved on as an
adult.

In 1977, I had accumulated just over 4000 hours of flight time. In
those years, I had published a number of "I learned about flying from
this" articles in every flying magazine but Flying Magazine. I miss
it, but the economy drove people in my income bracket away as it has
from Boating.

I wish you well and don't forget her. She's important but I know you
know all this.
Regards.....
Old September 9th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 9/8/2007 9:16:42 PM, Richard Carpenter wrote:

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

Congratulations. As Dudley requested, please post here your experiences,
impressions, and questions as you progress through your training. There are
some very experienced pilots who contribute to this group and would be very
happy to offer any assistance.

From what I read here over the years it is truly a blessing to have a
supportive wife. A lot are not (mine is). Return the favor to her by learning
all that is needed to become the safest pilot you possibly are able to be.
You and all of your potential passengers deserve this.

--
Peter
Old September 9th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 01:16:39 -0000, Richard Carpenter
wrote in
. com:

Yesterday for my 40th birthday my most excellent wife bought me flying
lessons and membership in the flying club at a local airport.

I look forward to hanging out with you folks and hopefully learning a
thing or 2(00...000).

Best of luck in pursuing your airmans certificate.

In addition to rec.aviation.piloting, you may find the
rec.aviation.student newsgroup useful also.

Student Pilot & skydivers [email protected] Piloting 24 February 7th 06 04:17 AM
Yet another student pilot blog [email protected] Piloting 0 March 24th 05 05:26 PM
Student Pilot equipment John Stevens Piloting 31 May 31st 04 03:04 AM
Student Pilot at 50 TF Piloting 31 March 16th 04 01:58 AM
Student Pilot Patrick Piloting 1 August 7th 03 05:38 AM