Overlay/Panel Lighting?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 10th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Overlay/Panel Lighting?

I have a 74 Cherokee 140 that does not have any panel lighting other
than the red overhead. The 2 VOR/ILS indicators are internally lit as is
the VC compass and clock. These are all running off the one lone factory
dimmer. On full, the indicator lights will illuminate the cabin, so I
run them way down at night. I have already purchased the Piper panel
light fixtures and bulbs to put into the panel. This would require
adding a second dimmer and a half day or so labor to wire them up. The
second dimmer could be added via a minor modification, or I could put in
the later model switch panel (75 model and up) that already has 2
dimmers/wheels in it. Another several hours wrestling with the switches
would be required for the swap. Either way, this is a pretty big pain in
the butt for what will result in only marginal results.

Is there a better way? My goal would be minimal intrusion (read: little
or no FAA involvement) and expanse. Can I glue in some bulbs to the
plastic overlay and have a dimmer controls running to the cig lighter? I
saw a web site with "prewired" overlay panels, but that site looked like
it was partially abandoned as it was not working correctly. How about
those EL strips on the glareshield? Nu-lites? Other options?

I am a little leery of a "prewired overlay" because the 74 140 has a
somewhat unique overlay. I already sprung $220 for a new one and put
several hours labor into trimming it to fit. Not sure I want to give it
up to someone to add lights or buy another one to send out. I do like
the fact that it would be somewhat turnkey.

Anyone been here and done this? By the way, post lights are definitely
out. They would be way more work than the factory ones I already have
waiting in a box.

Thanks,
Mike

Google Earth - Sectional Chart overlay.. Dan Piloting 4 December 8th 05 07:13 PM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 12:22 AM
Repairing Plastic Instrument Panel Overlay Jeff P Owning 22 January 29th 04 06:42 PM
Panel Overlay repair Jeff P Home Built 2 January 26th 04 05:23 PM
replacing plastic panel overlay w/aluminum Dave Owning 7 January 10th 04 10:52 PM