IOIO board for SN10 to Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Old May 9th 15, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default IOIO board for SN10 to Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I'm looking to build this integration and put my miserably outdated Oudie out of its misery. Of course I am looking to run XC Soar or Top Hat on the Galaxy Note 4.

Has anyone built this specific IOIO board to date? If so please send me any lessons that you may have learned along the way.

I am ordering parts this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Sean
Old May 9th 15, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I prefer SYM to XCSOAR - fully flexible screen layout and really easy to do what you need whether on the ground or in the air. I now have an Oudie IGC with bright screen, all day battery life, IGC logger (with wireless download), backup audio vario, and seamless integration with SeeYou for file setup. Please tell me what you prefer about XCSOAR other than that use of it is free.

Old May 9th 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 6:54:49 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
I prefer SYM to XCSOAR - fully flexible screen layout and really easy to do what you need whether on the ground or in the air. I now have an Oudie IGC with bright screen, all day battery life, IGC logger (with wireless download), backup audio vario, and seamless integration with SeeYou for file setup. Please tell me what you prefer about XCSOAR other than that use of it is free.

In my opinion, XCSoar has a better UI in most respects than SYM. If those were the only two choices, I would pay for XCSoar even if SYM were free. Fortunately those aren't the only choices.
Old May 9th 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

1) The UI
2) The flexibility of the Modern Android devices
3) The vastly higher resolution touch sensitivity of the modernAndroid devices (try using Oudie with your fingers and not the stylus)
3.1) pinch to zoom, two fingers to pan, etc.
4. The software itself (XC Soar vs SeeYou mobile which is essentially unchanged in a decade)
5) The ability to use cellular broadband data connectivity for a whole host of applications:
5.1) SKYLINES
5.2) Weather
5.3) Retrieve applications
5.3.1) GPS coordinates, etc
5.4) Device integration with SPOT or Delorme InReach Bluetooth connected applications
5.5) etc, etc, etc.
6) The VASTLY superior resolution of this the terrain map.
7) Automatic calculation of Final Glide over terrain.
8) I can go on and on and on and on....
Old May 9th 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Robert. Great info. Soldering iron warming up...

Old May 10th 15, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Ink screens are great but lack smartphone data connectivity. I just want one device. Also color screens are rapidly improving in brightness specs. Especially the phablets (large ones).

Here are some quotes about the Note 4. It is widely considered to be the brightest and highest contrast of the new generation of OLED displays. They are exceptionally displays and so bright that they begin to hurt my eyes at times in less that bright light. I also have an iPhone 6 plus and it is considerably less bring that the note 4.

Link to article on Note 4 brightness: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

QUOTE: As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 4 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 71 to 93, among the highest that we have ever measured.

More importantly, on the Galaxy Note 4 the Maximum Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can't permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note 4 reaches an impressive 750 cd/m2 in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed - it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 4 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 100 to156, the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for measurements and details."
Old May 10th 15, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

bought 2 kinds listed on the XC Soar forum. Sparkfun was back-ordered any Android IOIO on that list should work well. It's a simple matter of mapping out the pins carefully.

I may start a little business making these. I have a very bright neighbors kid who wants a summer job!

I have used Luke's IOIO (Gen 1) in my Lak17 with a V7 vario and a Dell Streak. It was great. This setup should be far better than that was and I'll have full Verizon data (when not flying contests).

I'll post a video once I get it tested.
Old May 10th 15, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Thanks for replying. I think some of that is a bit like saying the Porsche 911 is unchanged in 50 years. I always use fingers not stylus on SYM without difficulty, find zoom and pan easy, and by the way Oudie now has connectivity using bluetooth via a phone. The SYM UI works really well for frequent tasks like task entry which is slicker than XCS. Each to their own.